Turn signals dead, then live again

• Premium Member

Had a funny situation today. Was out this morning for a 30 minute ride and noticed partway that my turn signals weren't working. When I got to my destination, I checked to see if it was just the dash indicators not working but none of the actual turn lights were lighting up. After a couple of hours sitting, I drove it home, thinking I'd need to be using hand signals, but all the signals worked just fine. Also working fine a couple of hours later when I rode again.

Anyone else experienced this little hitch? If so, what was the cause?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, skipperT said:

What had you taken apart or modified most recently in the bike?

-Skip 

Nothing, Skip - did an oil change just before that ride but that's been it for this year.

The only things that was different was that it was stored outside for two night, whereas I always have it under cover at home. It didn't rain overnight but there was a bit of water on it from the neighbour's sprinkling system when I started it up. Not sure if that might have interrupted the circuit temporarily or not.

Thanks for ringing in on this.

16 hours ago, upshift said:

Nothing, Skip - did an oil change just before that ride but that's been it for this year.

The only things that was different was that it was stored outside for two night, whereas I always have it under cover at home. It didn't rain overnight but there was a bit of water on it from the neighbour's sprinkling system when I started it up. Not sure if that might have interrupted the circuit temporarily or not.

Thanks for ringing in on this.

Sure. 

If it’s all good now, but wasn’t before then a bad connection somewhere is most likely. Water really shouldn’t affect anything that easily as I’ve ridden mine through downpours with no problems. 

All you can really do at this point is to remove fairings and check all the connections at the signals. Trace the turn signal housing wires along the bars to see where they disappear into a bundle of plugs and make sure it’s secure. Verify the turn signal switch is properly located on the bars and snug. One time I did find a plug from a switch housing that wasn’t “clicked” into place by the factory and it was causing some weird electrical issues (not on an FJ/MT though). 

Water inside the switch housing could also cause your symptoms. Good luck. 

-Skip

I had a similar thing happen on my bike around a year ago. All fine riding along, then no indicators.

Got home, turned the bike off, and on starting it again all was working.

I presume I was a bit ham fisted cancelling a turn signal, and had 'confused' the lighting relay which had become stuck mid position. Turning the power off reset the relay, and then all was fine.

Never happened again after that one time.

Phil

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This happens if you don`t turn the key completely. The key can stay like 5-10 degrees before the ON, the ignition and lights work but the turn signals won`t. It resulted to be a feature if you don`t oil the keyhole, the key gets stuck a bit.

Just put oil in to the keyhole. That was the case in my bike and worked well after that.

Edited by MiPe

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, Denideul said:

Never put oil or grease in a keyhole, that would stick dust and so on in the lock and with the time damage it.

Instead you must put graphite.😄

I use this stuff on keyholes and throttle and clutch cables.

Bike_Aid_Film_Lubricant__dri-slide_.jpg

Dri-Slide Bike Aid Film Lubricant creeps into the smallest spaces. This...

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks.

I'll try graphite / dry lubricant and ask about that from Yamaha Center because they added and also recommended light oil into the keyhole. It worked well but didn't think long term effects at that point.