Rear Suspension tolerances and movement

RandyN

Tracer GT has about 1/4 inch of up and down free play movement in rear wheel.  If I put my Tracer GT on the center stand, remove bags, lay my upper chest on rear tail section, grab wheel with my hands and gently pull it up and down the wheel moves about 1/4 inch. I am pretty sure I have isolated where the movement is but Yamaha says this is normal. I think it is the lower shock mount at the link.

Also feeling a clunk, in front end, when I hit a small bump especially when turning. Not a big enough bump to bottom fork out.

Can any of you repeat this on your bikes and say it's the same? It doesn't seem right to me.

• Premium Member

Yes, there is play in my rear suspension when on the center stand.  No clunk in the front suspension.

For the front, check the steering head bearings for appropriate tightness or have your dealer take a look if you are not familiar. 

Rob

15 hours ago, RandyN said:

Also feeling a clunk, in front end, when I hit a small bump especially when turning. Not a big enough bump to bottom fork out.

This is normal. My Tracer GT has it too. I know a few others that have it too. I found that setting the suspension harder decreases this clunk but it is still there

Archived