GIVI PLR2122 Pannier Rack

Guest brianwindmill

Guest brianwindmill
Has anybody ordered the GIVI PLR2122 Pannier Rack and has anybody seen any photo's any where without the bags fitted as i am thinking about buying and putting some black trekker on.

• Premium Member
No, but check the price here as I found the topbox kit was £15 cheaper than in the UK, and in stock. Delivered in about 4 days via UPS.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have a set on order from the link above - UPS have them and they are logged at Milan airport at the moment. I imagine they will be delivered to my office on Tuesday if past orders are anything to go by.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
Well Bykebits let me down, so i went with the Italy supplier. They are now fitted to the bike and rode to work this morning.
I was a little shocked however when I got off the bike to find the right hand rack had compltly come under from the bike and was just hanging on by the bar that goes round the back. And the left hand side was only conected to the bike by the connector on the foot peg.

Its a good thing its only a quick hop to work or I would of lost the whole rack.

• Premium Member
Well Bykebits let me down, so i went with the Italy supplier. They are now fitted to the bike and rode to work this morning. I was a little shocked however when I got off the bike to find the right hand rack had compltly come under from the bike and was just hanging on by the bar that goes round the back. And the left hand side was only conected to the bike by the connector on the foot peg.

Its a good thing its only a quick hop to work or I would of lost the whole rack.
I have ditched the idea of the givi pannier rack - I had a wrong part in my kit, now supplied correctly. I fitted the top mounts and used the bike for a short ride. One mount had come loose. The bolts are just not man enough to torque up. I am not convinced that the quarter turn, quick release system is safe either. A shame really, as the top box kit is excellent.

I will be looking at the Yamaha option next, if it ever comes in stock. Back up plan is using soft panniers for my trip to France next month with the Givi topbox as the secure, dry part part

ving almost lost the side rails I had a thought about ditching the quick release bolts and swapping them out for bolts.

so I got hold of 4 M8 70mm bolts plus 8 of the
Thick washers from the kit. I put the orginal rails (thst you took off to fit the givi ones). Then put the bolts and washers in place. The givi rails now seem very rigid. 

Ok I can't remove them quickly but I'm not bothered about that. I will do a test ride tomorrow hopefully and report

I got mine from Italy (Givi UK still haven't had their delivery!!!) The bolts that hold the black bits to the bike, the heads are too long to allow the quicklock to work properly. I am replacing them with button heads tomorrow hopefully to aleviate the issue of them not locking in place. Poor design though!!! I have a topbox rack on order with Bykebitz (used to work there) and Givi still havent sent it to them. I know they are not pissing me around, just Givi UK being their useless self.

• Premium Member
ving almost lost the side rails I had a thought about ditching the quick release bolts and swapping them out for bolts. 
Thick washers from the kit. I put the orginal rails (thst you took off to fit the givi ones). Then put the bolts and washers in place. The givi rails now seem very rigid. 

Ok I can't remove them quickly but I'm not bothered about that. I will do a test ride tomorrow hopefully and report

I might give this a go as I have all of the bits apart from longer M8 bolts now that Italy has supplied the correct cross brace - just for clarity, you have left the OE rails in place? I have spacers behind the OE rails already as I have the Givi topbox kit, do I need the other spacers as well?

I might give this a go as I have all of the bits apart from longer M8 bolts now that Italy has supplied the correct cross brace - just for clarity, you have left the OE rails in place? I have spacers behind the OE rails already as I have the Givi topbox kit, do I need the other spacers as well?
Yep I left the OE rails on they act like the big spacers/bolt thinsg teh quick realease "attached" to. I used the large thick washers that came with the two sets just to fill the gap that is formed from puting the pannier rails over the top of the OE rails.

Order of parts (starting at bolt head finishing at bike bolt hole):
for front: M8 Bolt, small black washer (came as per topbox rack), pannier rack, M8 washer, 2x thick washers (from topbox/pannier), OE rack, thick washer (from TB/P kit).
For back: M8 Bolt, small black washer (came as per topbox rack), pannier rack, M8 washer, 2x thick washers (from topbox/pannier), OE rack, Topbox rack, thin black washer (as per topbox instructions).

I have riden the biek to today over some pritty bummpy roads and the racks are still securly in place. 

so for the cost of four bolts this seems to have fixed a pritty bad decion by Givi.

Hope this helps Wessie

• Premium Member
Looks like this will work nicely. Just need the longer bolts to get the spacing right for the rear brace. Currently just go the aluminium spacer from inside the OE rails, not the rail itself as the bolts supplied with the Givi top box rails are only 60mm. Need that extra cm each side to get the spacing right for the extra washers.

I think it might look better just using the spacer rather than having the OE plastic rails in place. I will fiddle more, once the 70mm bolts arrive.

One thing to remember for others: leave the footrest hanger brackets loose until every other bolt is in place - they are the parts with slotted holes and therefore a bit of free play to allow you to align the other parts

• Premium Member
Finally fitted now I have all of the bits. Givi supplied the wrong cross brace which was replaced by the retailer. As stated above, the bolts supplied to go with the quick release fasteners had heads that are too large for the fasteners to work. I have simply replaced them with 70mm allen bolts so the rails will stay on the bike. I have used the quick release fasteners on the cross brace and footrest brackets.

Here are some pictures of the 3 box system: topbox is an ancient E45 Monokey Givi box and is my everyday box used for commuting and local leisure rides. The side cases are a matched pair of Kappa Monokey K40 - made by Givi. I have the inner bags too. 

I am unlikely to use all 3 cases on a trip, just fitted them for people to see.

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

• Premium Member
and with just the side cases - most likely my choice for touring, with a tankbag

2015-05-13%2019.19.29.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

The Kappa K40 can be used as a topbox, so I can leave one box in a hotel and do a day trip with just one box when on holiday

I took a ride and handling is fine with empty boxes. Just need to get used to the extra load when pulling away from a standstill or lifting the bike upright off the sidestand. I'll try them fully loaded on the weekend. Probably add about 50% to the gross weight...

• Premium Member
Man, you Brits have big ugly license plates!  A good reason to move to California!...
That's so funny, we don't really notice it because we are used to it. Every time I go to the US I can't get over how ugly European cars look there because of the big bumpers they have to put on... But I like that in many states you don't have front number plates on cars. I grew up in South Africa and many years ago there you even had to have a front plate on the mud guard. Fortunately that rule was scrapped in the 70s.

Archived