GIVI PLR2122 Pannier Rack

Guest brianwindmill

Man, you Brits have big ugly license plates!  A good reason to move to California!...
All the easier for the Automatic Number Place Recognition cameras to read :-S Smaller ones are available, for show purposes but folk do fit them to road bikes - tends to get the coppers a bit excited and increases the chances of them wanting to stop you and 'have a chat'. The upside is they do help a bit to keep the spray down ;) 

I have a pair of 33lt trekkers for panniers and a 45 trekker for the topbox. Rode in this morning with full system on (which all had kit in for the long weekend) and I really noticed how low the bike had gone. The bike was actually low enough for me to touch the ground with both feet properly.

I think I need to harden the rear shock a bit as I will need the full set when I go to Ypres next month as I am camping.

• 2 months later...
I'm using the PLXR2122, slightly different to the PLR2122 in terms of shape, but I can't say I've had any issues with bits coming loose or not fitting right (touch wood!) Did 130 miles on Sunday, everything still solid on arrival, hoping the same for my return trip on Friday!!!

• 3 months later...
I fitted my FJ with the PLR2122 Rapid Release carriers mated to a pair of Givi E22N Cruiser cases and wanted to share my results.

VERY SATISFIED!!!!!!

I looked real hard at the Kappa K40 cases but they just look to big for the FJ IMO. Stumbled across the E22N's on another site and found a local dealer where I could "visualize" them in real life. The sales guy even was nice enough to come out to the bike and hold the cases about where they mounted so I could stand back and judge the profile. Needless to say, I went with the E22N's, which appear to be about the same size as the Yamaha FJ cases. Nice cases with a quality feel.

I also went with the Rapid Release carriers, since that seemed to be all I could find. And I am VERY happy with them. I was concerned about having to make mods based on this thread but I have put over 500 miles on this set up with a nice mix of rough pavement thrown in and the carriers have never moved. As solid as I could want them to be!

So for those of you like me who just can't swallow the price Yamaha wants for the stock cases/carriers, give these a real hard look. I think the E22's do a fantastic job of accenting the FJ's already svelte lines and my final price for both carriers and cases was less than $450! Pics of the set up below. Hope this helps someone else still looking.

FJ%20Cases_zpsnmc8panz.jpg

FJ%20Cases3_zpsrzkxscei.jpg

FJ%20Cases4_zpssdselovl.jpg

FJ%20Cases2_zpsveh9l7dr.jpg

[/img]

• Premium Member
I fitted my FJ with the PLR2122 Rapid Release carriers mated to a pair of Givi E22N Cruiser cases and wanted to share my results.  
FJ%20Cases_zpsnmc8panz.jpg
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=91174&g2_serialNumber=2

I think it's just the squarer shape that makes it look that way.  A passenger would have a lot more legroom with your bags.  And I have to say that the more I use clamshell bags, the more I wish I had top-loading bags like yours.

Rant:

The more mileage I get with the Yamaha bags the more I wonder what they were thinking with the design.

The oddball shape means that square things don't fit that well, and there are a lot of squarish things in this world, like laptop bags and folded clothes.  I end up squishing up my shoulder bag to make it fit, and it's not a big bag.  It's probably more aerodynamic but it's a failure in terms of storage.  The bottom of the case isn't flat either, but has nooks and crannies, which is often just wasted space if whatever you're putting in there isn't soft.

A clamshell design has inherent limitations with respect to things falling out when you open them while on the bike, but the Yamaha retention straps are next to useless, far worse than what I had with my old Givi E36s.  The little velcro bits are easy to pull open by mistake and stuff just falls out.  What idiot designed that?  I am going to have to design and construct some kind of half-net replacement purely as a defensive measure.

Meanwhile, allow me to be jealous of your bags.  They are way more practical. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I use inner bags - any holdall will do - so I can leave the cases on the bike and just carry in my soft bag(s). In fact, I prefer a bag a little smaller than that actual case to allow the odd item to be stored in the pannier in addition to the soft bag e.g. bag of laundry, tyre repair kit or any other stuff you don't want to take into the hotel room.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the compliment, JimF. I think the Yama bags are a little slimmer and longer than the Givi bags, but you're right - placement looks to be about the same. I hadn't thought about the top loading versus side loading aspect, as I was being shallow and focused more on looks than usability. But I now definitely appreciate the top loading, which is similar to the saddlebags on my last bike ('08 Roadstar). Nothing falls out when opening. And you're right that the Givi's squarish shape does help in loading.

Although the only thing I've really loaded so far has been a 12 pack of beer, which seems to be my barometer for case usability. LOL. 

Ride safe.

• Premium Member
49b297a2103073231f8608dde1372f8c.jpg
The MT08 Tracer that I rented from Maier in Landshut, Germany had these semi hard Yamaha saddlebags and I really liked them!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Now those are good looking Yamaha hard bags. I painted my US spec gaudy red reflectors black and put a Johnny Cash sticker on one. I tried the fjr option and felt they spoiled the look while creating extra aero where I did not want it.
Rent an FJ in Germany and tour is on the bucket list.

• 2 years later...
Sorry to be bringing back from the dead such an old thread but allot of the photos are gone. I've had a set of Givi E21's for ages as I prefer a top loading which is easy to find in soft cases but less so with hard cases. Side loaders just aren't as handy IMO. They've been good to me when I need them. I asked carey to send me some shots of his FJ with E21's and PLR2122 rack and he was kind enough to post them even with his busy schedule. Thank you carey

I decided to take the plunge and purchased the system from a distributor in Canada link regardless of the earlier posts. With three years having passed, I figured Givi would have made some small changes to this system. It was a better price then OEM and offered quick Quick Release. My purchase was made on June 6th and delivered June 13th to West Coast US. Got up early this morning and decided to install. Previously, I remember reading about the installation instructions being hard to follow. I think Givi used to ship this system with all the hardware, shims and Quick Release bolts in a bag. Well, not any more. The Quick Release hardware now comes already in place with washers and such in the proper sequence. No trying to follow instruction while only succeeding through trial and error. I may not have been as pleased with Givi had this not been the case. But as shipped, the system is simple to install. A 10 mm combo wrench, 5 mm Allen, T handle works best and a tube of loctite. I would suggest blue, not red, in whatever brand you chose. Givi does not state to use it but I did anyway. A pillion foot peg bracket on each side is held on with two supplied bolts and two more 5 mm hex bolts on each side along with supplied spacers go in place of the pillion grab handles bolts. You can leave your grab handles on if you prefer or in my case, I removed them some time ago. Last step, there's two quick release bolts for the rear cross brace already attached to the bar. Use the supplied tool to tighten and that's it, very simple system to install. The Quick Release design is just that. Very quick to put on and take back off the bike. That's the primary reason I gave this a try. Previously, I used Givi SV201 soft saddle bags. They worked OK but the bottoms have a tendency to creep inward towards the rear tire. I never rubbed in all my rides but I also frequently looked and kept track. Soft luggage braces I've scene were not Quick Release. Maybe they were simple to remove, I really don't know as I never tried them. But this system will work well for me. The pillion foot beg brackets stay on-board along with the receiving ends of the Quick Release fasteners holding the pillion grab handles. The later could second as attachment points for bungee's or Cargo Net. One must keep track of the proprietary Givi T handled tool though. Its needed to install and release the Quick Release bolts. Loose or forget that and Vise Grips or Channelocks would be needed to remove the system. I've not ridden with this set up yet but I'm sure it will work well. Especially when I want to take it off. I believe Givi may have improved the Quick Release fasteners. With the bolt heads already in place and shimmed in sequence, I don't see them coming loose as in previous posts. 
The E21's with my Nelson Rigg pillion seat bag and the newly added SW Motech Engage tank bag is all I'll need. My Mrs. chooses not to double even when I promise to slow it down. niQ97M7.gif

In practice, I really like how easy the rack is to remove. The proprietary supplied tool works like a charm. System is off in about 1-2 minutes max and back on in about the same. I can leave bags and racks in the lodge and use the Engage and Nelson Rigg which are plenty room for scenic day long rides. I sure don't like em with the cases off. But very few luggage rack systems look decent without the cases, hard or soft IMO. For me, practicality plays a much more important roll here.

Forum_1.jpg
rack mounted with cases off

Forum_2.jpg

Forum_5.jpg

Forum_4.jpg

With cases on

Forum_5.jpg

Forum_6.jpg

I have KTM hand guards installed and the E21's do stick out about 4" further on each side of the bar ends. Not ideal for lane splitters or tight spaces but the mirrors make it work.

Forum_9.jpg

Forum_11.jpg

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Hi Panooch, slightly off-topic (for which I apologise) but can I ask what tankbag you have here in the photos?

It looks like a SW Mototech EVO Engage model is that right? Looks really good on the bike so want to make sure I get the right one.

Many Thanks

Steve

Yes, thats correct. I used the # 110 FZ-09 mounting collar rather then the FJ-09. FJ-09 sits high and off the tank while the FZ-09 sits flush to the tank. Great write up here by shigeta link and the original thread that inspired me three years ago was by peporter link. You can see where the FJ-09 collar was used in shigeta thread. It's only a 7 liter bag so not much storage but you can get a general idea in the photos what all can fit. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Archived