Quick shifter

After speaking to my Yamaha Tech,  the quickshifter is not programmed to work in 1st or 2nd hence clunky shifts if you try it in these gears.

The QS is designed to unload the stress on the gearbox above 4600rpm in 3rd 4th 5th & 6th. As stated  in a comment above give it full beans and above 4600rpm just very quickly change gear keeping the throttle pinned open ( do not use the clutch) ...... what an exhilarating ride !  Do not keep the gear lever in the "up" position too long its important to release it again asap..

The QS is on the up shift only, it wont work on the down shift.

Thats my understanding ... always welcomed to be corrected.

Nigel

Quickshifter definitely works when changing from 2nd to 3rd but is quite rough and smooths out all the way until 5th to 6th. I always put this down to the fact that in 2nd there is a lot more power available at full throttle than there is in 5th so it makes it harder for the QS to smooth it out

i believe the manual says not for shifting first and second gears. i have a different experience with mine. while i am sure you can bang it through under heavy throttle, i do a quick roll off of throttle as i shift, the same as when using clutch. but i have found that the shifts are actually much smoother with less clunking that shifting with clutch. shifts from third on up doing it this way the shifts are so smooth it almost feels like an automatic

• Thumbsup 1

Older/less sophisticated quickshift systems, like on my Ducati, have a set ignition and/or fuel cut value for when it is engaged. As a result, they typically only work best at full throttle, as this is what they were primarily designed for. 

There is extensive mapping in the ecu for the quickshifter for each gear that dictates how much ignition and/or fuel cut is to be applied based on throttle position and rpm. It should work seamlessly at all points, but of course, it doesn't. Under high load it's pretty good, not so much under low load. 90% overall. 

It could be tuned to perfection if/when ecu tuning software unlocks this section of the ecu. The ecu also has the ability built in for throttle blips on downshift. Tuning software will offer this at some point I would imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Page 4-24 of my US owner's manual states:

The quick shift (QS) system allows for full-throttle, clutch lever-less, electronically-assisted upshifts. When the shift switch detects motion in the shift pedal, engine power and drive torque are momentarily adjusted to allow the upshift to occur.

TIP

• The quick shift system operates when traveling at least 20 km/h (12 mi/h) with an engine speed  of 2300 r/min or higher, and only when accelerating.
  • It does not operate when the clutch lever is pulled

I have not experienced much difficulty with using mine. Usually, it is because I have let off the throttle and stopped accelerating because it is hard to reprogram my brain to leave the throttle open while shifting. I came from a DCT equipped Africa Twin, so at least my brain is pretty well used to not having to grab for the clutch. It does seem most clunky between 1-2, but is usually works pretty well. I am not hearing or feeling anything that tells me that I am destroying my transmission.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

My experience so far has been that to use QS under full throttle, you have to be over 5k, preferably 6k rpm. As I very seldom go over 5k, I learned to roll off a bit of the throttle when shifting. I got to a point that 90% of my quick shifts are pretty smooth.

13 hours ago, Luma46 said:

My experience so far has been that to use QS under full throttle, you have to be over 5k, preferably 6k rpm. As I very seldom go over 5k, I learned to roll off a bit of the throttle when shifting. I got to a point that 90% of my quick shifts are pretty smooth.

If you are rolling off the throttle, you are not using the quickshfter. You can roll off the throttle on a bike without a quickshifter and change gears. Disable the quickshifter and do what you described, nothing will change. 

• Thumbsup 1

This is the first bike with a QS, but I must say I just love the corner exits where the bike just keeps pulling no  sleight  Pause as with using a clutch. I find  partial  or full throttle the shifts are all very smooth. Just keep the throttle position do not roll off and all works well. I can't Waite for down shift software .

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Ddog gt said:

This is the first bike with a QS, but I must say I just love the corner exits where the bike just keeps pulling no  sleight  Pause as with using a clutch. I find  partial  or full throttle the shifts are all very smooth. Just keep the throttle position do not roll off and all works well. I can't Waite for down shift software .

Maybe you would enjoy a Hondamatic. LOL.  No pesky clutch at all. 

The African Twin has an automatic transmission option. 

It actually looks really neat but I think I enjoy the clutch work and would miss it too much. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:05 AM, fURYOS said:

Maybe you would enjoy a Hondamatic. LOL.  No pesky clutch at all. 

The African Twin has an automatic transmission option. 

It actually looks really neat but I think I enjoy the clutch work and would miss it too much. 

To clutch or not to clutch... You always have the option on the GT. It isn't an either/or situation. But under steady hard acceleration, the QS does make a difference. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, Tracerracer said:

push the shift lever up, turn ignition key on, wait 10sec, release the shift lever - QS will be disabled/enabled. no need to unplug something.

Thanks dude. This is what i was looking for. I will unlock when i have the time for real rides.. 😉

Speaking the GT, the reason 1st to 2nd to 3rd is clunky is because of the gap between the ratios gets less as you go up the gearbox:

1st - 2.667

2nd - 2.000

3rd - 1.619

4th - 1.381

5th - 1.190

6th - 1.037

The smaller the gap between ratios the less difference between relative engine speed = less clunk.

• Thumbsup 1