Quick shifter

On 4/23/2019 at 4:58 AM, undecider said:

The quick shift (QS) system allows for full-throttle, clutch lever-less, electronically-assisted upshifts.

I think the term "full-throttle" in the manual is a little misleading.  The bike is designed for road use, so not many people will fully open the throttle.  Maybe on the track.  It might also imply that you have to red line it before shifting up a gear.

I think a better way to describe it would be that the QS system allows for open-throttle, clutch-less, electronically-assisted upshifts.

As stated above closing the throttle and expecting the QS to work smoothly is not how the system is programmed.  Just hold the throttle still at the point you want to upshift, "when traveling at least 20 km/h (12 mi/h) with an engine speed  of 2300 r/min or higher, and only when accelerating."

• Thumbsup 1

23 minutes ago, CumuloNimbus said:

I think the term "full-throttle" in the manual is a little misleading. 

The manual doesn't say full throttle. Section 3-26 says "The Quick shift system operates when travelling at least 20km/h with an engine speed of 2300 r/min or higher, and only when accelerating. It does not operate when the clutch lever is pulled"

Edited by bugie

In response to some of the earlier posts above;  this group of three videos from MC Garage do a good job of explaining gears, clutch-less shifts and quick-shifters, particularly good if you've never had the chance to see what's on the other end of your shift pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtghypx8mII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWuolNYGyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlBhPZdVqb8

IMO "and only when accelerating",  in the Tips section, is relevant because when you close the throttle, even a little, you stop accelerating.  That changes/reverses the loads on the transmission and makes it a little harder for the system to work as intended when pulling the quickshifter.

• Thumbsup 2

I am only a week into owning the Tracer, but I;ve noticed that 1->2 shifts are better if I do them traditionally with the clutch, then after that I can use QS.  The 1 to 2 otherwise is pretty violent and I dont like that kind of shock to the driveline.   Other than that its a nice-to-have feature that when it works well, its super fun. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:49 PM, Clegg78 said:

I am only a week into owning the Tracer, but I;ve noticed that 1->2 shifts are better if I do them traditionally with the clutch, then after that I can use QS.  The 1 to 2 otherwise is pretty violent and I dont like that kind of shock to the driveline.   Other than that its a nice-to-have feature that when it works well, its super fun. 

Hi Clegg78, I have done about 2500 miles on my new Tracer and I agree with your observations. I tend not to use the QS for changing up from 1 - 2 but use it frequently for the remaining up-shifts. As others have noted seems to work very nicely at the higher revs. I was another one who thought I would never have a use for the the QS but I have been completely converted. Really adds to the smile factor. 😀
CP

30 minutes ago, Crossplane Pilot said:

Hi Clegg78, I have done about 2500 miles on my new Tracer and I agree with your observations. I tend not to use the QS for changing up from 1 - 2 but use it frequently for the remaining up-shifts. As others have noted seems to work very nicely at the higher revs. I was another one who thought I would never have a use for the the QS but I have been completely converted. Really adds to the smile factor. 😀
CP

So I noticed after I changed the oil to Motul 7100 (10w40) after the initial 600 miles on the bike, the QS 1-2 shift is much much better... almost as seamless as the rest of the gears.    Yeah the QS use when passing people. 

• Thumbsup 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, flyfifer said:

Is the Quick Shifter really something that GT owners want  or is it the answer to a question nobody actually asked ?

Fundamental question.

Very good point!  The answer is that it is a pointless sales gimmick.  It's a road bike!  You are almost never going to need a full throttle up-shift.  In any case, the time saved even on a track day compared with no clutch/dipping the throttle (that's how we raced for twenty years before they invented quickshifters) is insignificant.  There are an increasing number of gimmicks like this that sound impressive and are cheap to implement.  Multi-level ABS and traction control for example.  I prefer they spend the money on a proper fully adjustable rear shock.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, OLD DVB said:

Very good point!  The answer is that it is a pointless sales gimmick.  It's a road bike!  You are almost never going to need a full throttle up-shift.  In any case, the time saved even on a track day compared with no clutch/dipping the throttle (that's how we raced for twenty years before they invented quickshifters) is insignificant.  There are an increasing number of gimmicks like this that sound impressive and are cheap to implement.  Multi-level ABS and traction control for example.  I prefer they spend the money on a proper fully adjustable rear shock.

True, but just to clarify, you don't need to be full throttle to use the quick shifter.  As long as you are accelerating at any speed, the quick shifter works well.  Actually smoother for 2nd to 3rd and on to the higher gears.

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, Clegg78 said:

It's not that violent if your going 45-50 mph in first gear. Lol. 

That being said don't