Quick shifter

On 8/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, quaxum said:

Has anyone adjusted the gear lever position?

Is it possible to adjust since the GT comes with a quickshifter installed?

Has anyone done it yet?

Looking to adjust the gear shifter lever lower by a tad bit.

I actually raised mine 1 spline on the trans input shaft., since I installed FJ foot pegs also. Didn't effect the QS. one bit.

• 1 month later...

I love the QS when it is smooth, but like others who've already mentioned......feel like I am destroying the gearbox when it isn't smooth. Ok speaking of some issues I am having and which is frustrating the hell out of me, I can't for the life of me shift from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 4th even with the clutch, the transmission literally acts like it doesn't want to shift. Anytime I short shift or do so at lower RPM's it shifts pretty good, but anytime I take off even remotely agressive......it doesn't want to shift into 3rd or 4th!!!! Would perhaps adjusting the linkage up a bit or even up one spline on the shaft help? Bike has almost 500 miles on it now, has done this since I rode it home from dealer.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

I can't for the life of me shift from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 4th even with the clutch, the transmission literally acts like it doesn't want to shift. Anytime I short shift or do so at lower RPM's it shifts pretty good, but anytime I take off even remotely agressive......it doesn't want to shift into 3rd or 4th!!!!

Bike has almost 500 miles on it now, has done this since I rode it home from dealer.

If the bike is brand new then it is still under warranty.  Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.  I can tell you that after the initial clunk into 1st gear, mine shifts VERY smoothly up and down into every gear.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've had no issues with shifting into 4th or 5th that weren't my fault.  Wondering if your clutch is adjusted properly.  I would certainly get the dealer to take a look at it.  Biggest problems Ive had have been finding neutral between1st and 2nd a couple of times - both times I was doing a lazy shift, uncertain as to wether I was going to use the clutch or QS and so totally screwed up the shift - but my fault.  When riding around the neighborhood or in residential areas I almost always shift early and slowly and use the clutch.  IMO QS is good when hustling.  An absolute blast when going up thru the gears.  I got into the habit with my last bike of shifting early and not using much throttle when in populated areas with lower speed limits.  Started doing that to stretch gas mileage.

No issues ever finding neutral for me, must admit that my friction zone for the clutch is awfully far out from where I think it should be. Every bike I have owned the friction zone never started happening beyond the halfway point of the lever, this bike is damn near the end of lever travel.

I used the QS when I needed to accelerate quickly to enter a highway. Or maybe some drag racing at the traffic light. Otherwise there was no need to use it and it did in fact sometimes felt like it destroyed the gear box.

I have a QS in the Tiger as well (up and down) which is rather civilized when used. I use it a lot more than on my Tracer. When I'm just to lazy to use the clutch. It works at all speeds and throttle positions.

2 hours ago, Shizzle said:

Isn't their an adjustment for the clutch cable at the motor also if you have no adjustment left  at the lever?

Yes both are different types of adjustments, I'll look into this more. 

Well.....I made a small adjustment to the clutch lever free play, and a fair amount of adjustment to the shifter linkage by bringing up the shifter a bit higher. What I got was a DRASTIC improvement in my overall shifting, didn't have a single issue on my ride today and the QS is now smooth and not banging at all like it was. :)

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Reviving this topic, I don’t like Yamaha’s version of QS on the GT. It just does not work very good at all imo. I’ve had add on QS setups for years on my road race bikes that worked way better than this oem Yamaha unit. That said my 21’ GSXR 1000R has the oem QS and auto blipper and it works amazingly well! Has two levels of sensitivity and in 2nd level you just bump the lever and it shifts either direction very smooth. No hard thud in the drivetrain like the Yamaha does. I don’t particularly like the auto blipper feature mostly due to just not growing up with it all these years. But man the Suzuki QS is super nice. Nice pop out the exhaust when it bangs the shift. 

I adjusted the GTs shift lever and found no improvement with the function of the QS. In fact i have let others ride the bike and they said the same thing, not a very smooth QS on the Yamaha. Feels like you are damaging the transmission. So I rarely use it on the GT. 1st to 2nd gear is the worst as is 5th into 6th on my bike. I wish it had at least an adjustment level for sensitivity like the Suzuki has. On my race bikes we could adjust the kill time in the software. We always set it at the bare minimum to get the quickest shift possible on the racetrack. I wasn’t worried about damage since it was a racebike. All were Suzuki’s anyway and they seem to have the best shifting transmissions anyway. Never had one break in 20 years on track.  

Edited by roy826

I've only been riding my 19 GT for a few weeks now, but the QS has been flawless so far; smooth shifts, no sense of being hard on the tranny at all.  I have been using it in all gears, and various throttle openings, and I haven't had a single shift that made me wish I'd used the clutch in that particular instance.  One more data point.

6 hours ago, roy826 said:

Reviving this topic, I don’t like Yamaha’s version of QS on the GT. It just does not work very good at all imo. I’ve had add on QS setups for years on my road race bikes that worked way better than this oem Yamaha unit. That said my 21’ GSXR 1000R has the oem QS and auto blipper and it works amazingly well! Has two levels of sensitivity and in 2nd level you just bump the lever and it shifts either direction very smooth. No hard thud in the drivetrain like the Yamaha does. I don’t particularly like the auto blipper feature mostly due to just not growing up with it all these years. But man the Suzuki QS is super nice. Nice pop out the exhaust when it bangs the shift. 

I adjusted the GTs shift lever and found no improvement with the function of the QS. In fact i have let others ride the bike and they said the same thing, not a very smooth QS on the Yamaha. Feels like you are damaging the transmission. So I rarely use it on the GT. <snip> 

I guess I would expect a QS on a sportbike like the Gixxer to be sweeter that that on a large dirt bike like the Tracer GT (that's what it felt like compared to my long, low, and heavy FJR1300 cruise missile!). Going back to what motopumps said near the beginning of this thread, I concur. The QS on my Tracer 900GT works best when I'm at or near WFO and high in the rev range. I've tried it a few times at part throttle/low revs and it does feel clunky - so I don't use it there. Really, though, who needs it at low revs/part throttle? As a fellow Tracer riding buddy, ducky, has said, it is a real nice-to-have when you're on the gas because it keeps your hands less busy when the world around you is happening fast!

When riding today it worked perfectly when above say 4,000 RPM and a good throttle opening.  When just puttering around at low throttle and low RPMs it isn't smooth - I just use the clutch.  Never feel like it is hard on the tranny even when it is a bit clunky, just not smooth.  Im a little over 6,000 miles - bought new in September.  IMO the bike rides like it did the day I bought it.