Trading Harley for FJ or Tracer

Short story I have a 2008 Street Glide I got for free from a family member that I use to commute 80 highway miles round trip to work and back.  You would think it would be awesome for this but it’s not.  I could change things around to make it a little better but at the end of the day it’s slow (hates being over 70mph),  it handles like a pig, and I don’t want to put thousands of dollars into making it work.

i also do a lot of pleasure riding and touring as well   

I’m thinking about trading it in.  My local dealer has a new 2017 FJ-09  that never sold and a 2019 Tracer 900.   Should I go with the 2017 and have almost a even trade or are the upgrades on the 2019 worth the extra $$$?

ps I have owned a lot of bikes over the years (V Star 1100, R6, R1, FZ6, Sportster, DynaFat Bob, a couple of  70s Japanese bikes) and my favorite was the FZ6 despite its ugly appearance and banana seat.  I think the FJ and Tracer are right where I want to be.   

I had to decide the same thing back in November, a new 2019 or a 2017 leftover. There is a big difference between the 19 Tracer and tracer GT as the GT comes with better suspension and luggage. Both the 2019's  have longer wheel base which is supposed to make the bike more stable. That being considered I bought the 2017 for $9000 plus sales tax out the door. I spent $2600 on front and rear K-Tech suspension and OEM heated grips. I think the aftermarket suspensions are better than the 2019 stock one. The stability is now a non issue.  I'm wasn't looking for a touring bike but more of a sporty bike that was better for longer trips than the other Yamaha triples. I had a XSR900 before this and I really love these bikes. Whatever you decide you can't really go wrong.  I also much prefer the 17 blue to the new model grey color.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, DrunkyMcAwesome said:

i also do a lot of pleasure riding and touring as well   

I’m thinking about trading it in.  My local dealer has a new 2017 FJ-09  that never sold and a 2019 Tracer 900.   Should I go with the 2017 and have almost a even trade or are the upgrades on the 2019 worth the extra $$$?

Are you considering the base model Tracer or Tracer GT?  The GT has a LOT of features that may be of interest to you and is a significant upgrade over the FJ and Tracer, - factory hard bags, cruise control, heated grips, quick shifter etc.  It also has adjustable suspension (compression on the fork and remote preload on the shock) though whether the suspension is actually "improved" is debatable.

You could save some money and get the base Tracer and then add some upgrades as you see fit.  I bought a left over FJ and upgraded it to GT specs except for the quick shifter and color TFT display.  I am very happy with the bike, however if I was buying new today, I would start with the GT since it has all of the features I want, I would still upgrade the suspension though, just personal preference.

Like @chesterburnetstated, which ever model you get, you cant go wrong - its a great bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The GT would be my first choice for the bags and creature comforts.   The 2017 could be nice and something I could build overtime.  

I will see tomorrow what the wheeling and dealing reveals.   I’m not sure what the price drop on the 2017 would be.  

The 2017 might be too good a deal to pass up!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming off sports bikes, I had a heritage softail, and now a 2017 tracer (fj09). The Harley was relaxing, take in the scenery, a great change. The Tracer is opposite. It makes me want to hurry, rolling on the throttle with this engine is addictive... As Betony, I got a 2017 standard tracer with clutch assist and converted.. £50.00 heated grips, better ? than yam gt. £250.00 s/h fjr panniers, more room than gt. Pretty much clutchless upshift anyway., but NO cruise control. Bought nitron rear shock £400.00 which is way better than gt. Changed 'meh'  dunlops for mich road pilots £200.00 ( best upgrade for the money) I still ended up with enough left over for a trip to moto gp at Le Mans 😀 and a superior handling ?  bike to stock gt. I would do same again unless I wanted cruise control.

I have spoken with the dealership and I am still working to see if they can get the price lower on the 2017.   Trade in was a little lower than I wanted to go but  with riding season starting in Minnesota I can see that the numbers may be as good as they are going to get at the moment.   

At the moment we are sitting at $8k trade in and $8700k +TTL for the Fj09.  

There  was a price difference between the gt and standard tracer that made it worthwhile for me to get standard and upgrade. Not just because gt was more expensive, but a last years (2017) was discounted. That was a big difference. Hope you succeed in getting a good deal ! 

Archived