Hi 

The oil level light keeps coming on on my 2016 bike even though oil is full to correct level

it tends to come on for first few miles and then goes off

i am sure I saw a post about this somewhere but wondered if others have seen the same problem

Posted (edited)

Some have mentioned it, you can find a number of threads via search. Haven't had the light on the FJ-09. But, the first Yamaha I owned with an oil level sensor did once. Even tho the manual calls the oil level lines at the sight glass min and max IME they want the level to be only showing a bit below max when checked following the procedure in the manual. Since I started following that rule haven't seen it again.

Edited by chitown
typo
  • Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

Does it happen only in cool or cold weather ?  This has happened three times to my 2015 fj-09, never during warm weather.  I asked a Yamaha tech and was told it’s related to oil viscosity,  temporarily sort of clogging some part in the system.

This is exactly the problem! The oil hasn't warmed up quite enough to flow through the passages when first accelerating in cooler weather. I've had it happen just a couple times right after oil changes but once the oil warms up, I never see it again.

Edited by bigorangecntry07

Here is another possible reason, happened to me. I got for few kms into a pretty strong crosswind and was leaning heavily to the right and the oil light came on. As soon as I was out of this crosswind, the light went off...

On my Vmax, the oil sensor was located in the front of the pan.  Whenever you would really get on it, the oil light would come.  It was referred to as the performance indicator light.

• Thumbsup 1

Happened to me for the first time that I'm aware of this morning. It was about 52° and came on as I was off the throttle coming up to a red light about five minutes into my commute. Stayed on until I gave it a little gas so I could get over to the side of the road. Turned the bike off, checked the oil level, restarted and listened for bad sounds. Light went out and sounded normal. Didn't come back on during the rest of the ride. But did make me ultra paranoid. 

I did use a lot of moly assembly lube when I put the cams back in. Maybe I should do an oil change.

3 hours ago, nicksta43 said:

Happened to me for the first time that I'm aware of this morning. It was about 52° and came on as I was off the throttle coming up to a red light about five minutes into my commute. Stayed on until I gave it a little gas so I could get over to the side of the road. Turned the bike off, checked the oil level, restarted and listened for bad sounds. Light went out and sounded normal. Didn't come back on during the rest of the ride. But did make me ultra paranoid. 

I did use a lot of moly assembly lube when I put the cams back in. Maybe I should do an oil change.

Shiiiiiiiit. That must've been nerve wracking considering what you just went through.

And yeah, I'd recommend an oil change.

I've found that when I change oil I have to fill it almost to the top of the oil window or I get the oil light coming on. It is a bit worrisome when you see that light pop on!

• Thumbsup 1