puig clip on wind deflector on a kappa/givi screen

So I went for my first ride yesterday with my new Kappa 2122DTK windshield.   It definitely blocks much more wind than the stock screen but I now am getting some nasty buffeting.  I'm 5'7" and the farther I sit back the worse it gets.  I have seen these Puig clip on deflectors and wonder if anyone has used them on a Givi or Kappa touring screen and how were the results?

• 1 month later...

I have the puig clip on witht the puig touring windscreen. Without it I also had a lot of buffering and noice. I am 187 cm tall. Now with the puig clip on I experience that a lot of the buffering is gone and I have no problem riding without ear-plugs. So for me it was thumbs up improvement. 

I also have the Puig Touring Screen with clip on deflector.  I would recommend it as well.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

Please keep us posted if the deflector on the Givi screen helps. The Givi screen meets my needs but something bigger for winter commuting would be good, too.  Have you tried the different windshield heights with the Givi screen?  They seem to change the nature of the noise but not the volume for me.

Is there more windshield movement with the clip on?

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me which deflector they are using? Puig make s two versions - one with one hinge and another with two mounting points. I'm inclined to choose the one with two mounting points. 

FYI I have the 25 inch Puig screen. Overall, not bad. I could use a little more deflection.

• 11 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, nevada72 said:

Can anyone tell me which deflector they are using? Puig make s two versions - one with one hinge and another with two mounting points. I'm inclined to choose the one with two mounting points. 

FYI I have the 25 inch Puig screen. Overall, not bad. I could use a little more deflection.

I'm using the Puig Clip-on "Deflector" (the small hinged one, as opposed to the larger Clip-on "Visor") on my GT.  But first, I installed a Yamaha Tour screen which raised the air blast up from my chest/shoulders, to my face-shield/helmet.  That increased noise to an unacceptable level.

Now, with the Tour screen raised fully up and the little Puig Deflector tilted fully forward, the noise and buffeting are dramatically reduced, but not entirely eliminated.  But the pocket is very good, even if I crouch down there is no improvement, so I know the system is working at its max capability.  At 6 ft, I'm still looking over the top of the whole array with everything in full up position.  The alloy hinge fixture is actually smaller than it seems in the website pics, I don't notice it at all while riding. 

At 80+ mph everything seems solid with clean air.  Dirty air is a different story, as expected.  The shield flexes quite a bit at highway speeds in dirty air, and there is buffeting.  The OEM wind screen substructure sometimes makes me wonder if it's robust enough to withstand much more pressure, but so far so good.  Understandably, Yamaha supplies metal mounting screws with their Tour screen to replace the nylon ones that are on the stock screen. (gulp)

The Deflector seems nicely designed and built, attaches easily and securely, and isn't expensive.

I have the two mount version and it works extremely well on a larger screen. FYI, if you get one of these, you have to glue the adjusters after finding the right angle.

5VjqnBM.jpg

Edited by jdavis