R1200RT to Tracer GT?

I have been riding a BMW R1200RT for 7-8 years. I’m 6’2  and 250 lbs. I ride 7000-8000 miles a year on multi day trips to Arkansas, Colorado, and at least one trip of 10-12 days to parts unknown. Usually 3500-4500 miles. I live in Dallas.  I’m intrigued by the 900GT. A little smaller, a lot lighter, and more powerful than my RT. Is this GT a bike that I can do the type of riding that I described in relative comfort. I have read a lot of positive reviews. But would like to know about practical experience. Thanks.

Doug

I have come from, and still have, a Kawasaki Concours 1400 to the 900GT. I have also ridden an R1150RT. Both these bikes are smother, more comfortable and have better wind protection. I would say there is a very big difference in the 900GT in that it is not as comfortable and smooth as either of the other bikes, but it is a lot more fun in many ways. It is much taller and you will have the feeling of sitting up high on the bike rather than down in it like BMW. it is lighter and quicker definitely. I think it will boil down to exactly what type of riding you end up enjoying the most. I do like long cruises with some twisty roads on the Concours, but I like tight twisties more and really think that is where the 900GT will shine. If this is going to be your only ride then maybe try to get a long test ride on one some how.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I have a 2016 R1200 RS in addition to my 900 GT.  The BMW has the newer water cooled engine with 125 bhp, your current RT is probably an oil head with around 110 bhp.  The 900GT has around 105 bhp.  I seriously doubt the GT is more powerful than your RT, but it probably is close enough for all practical purposes.

If you ride solo, the 900GT will work fine for what you describe.

The wind protection will be less (a minus when cold and plus when hot).  I think the chain drive on the 900GT will work fine too, my bike has over 5,000 miles and I have not adjusted the chain once, but I lube it with a spray can, modern o-ring chains are almost as maintenance free as shaft drives.  The range per tank on the GT will be less because of the smaller gas tank, but I get about 50 mpg and around 175 miles per tank to the low fuel warning.

Let me know if you want more detail between the differences between the BMW and the Yamaha.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

You will find the GT's engine to be more 'busy' and intrusive at highway velocities, and it will rev appreciably higher than your RT at the same speed - at (say) 100kph GT = about 4000rpm, RS about 3400.   You may also find that your weight has a greater adverse influence on performance on the GT than you might like.   The GT seat might also not be to your personal liking. 

The GT will be much more agile, and the acceleration is startling.   It is also very 'flickable', and from personal experience feels lighter than it is and is very much easier to shove around in the garage.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

+1 on all the above.

Long days in the saddle of the GT will demand a seat upgrade.  Different windshields available can help with weather coverage. 

If you plan on riding 2-up, definitely get your pillion on the back for a test ride!  My wife can only stand about 30 min on back of my 15 FJ09. I know Yamaha has lowered the pillion pegs on the GT, but prpbably still not as comfy as your Bimmer.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks to everyone for the input. My riding is primarily solo. I expected to have to buy a seat and a larger windshield for better comfort and wind protection. I have a Russell Day Long seat and a V-Stream windshield on my RT, both of which which work great. 

I was thinking of the GT mainly because it’s smaller and lighter than the RT. I would imagine that it’s probably a hoot in the twisties!  I can also imagine it would be a blast to ride in Colorado or Arkansas. I’m going to try and get a local dealer to let me test ride one. Although it probably won’t be for a very long distance. 

Doug

Edited by Dbaliko

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Dbaliko said:

I was thinking of the GT mainly because it’s smaller and lighter than the RT. I would imagine that it’s probably a hoot in the twisties!  I can also imagine it would be a blast to ride in Colorado or Arkansas.

The CP3 engine is phenomenal fo an 850. It will boogie through canyons and mountain passes like you wouldn’t believe and will also accommodate road trips in relative comfort as well. I take a few week-long road trips every year without issues. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Doug,

I am recent purchaser of the GT , coming from a Multistrada and a Hyperstrada.

I echo the above.  The lesser weight and more than adequate power is the key for me.  I only have a 1,000 miles in since buying it two weeks ago, but am impressed with the value for money and the fun factor.

Vince

• Thumbsup 1

I have an FJ and can tell you that cruising at 70+ mph on an Interstate for long periods of time is not its forte.  I would not take mine across the U.S.

These small and light Yamis are a lot more sport than tour.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 hours ago, nhchris said:

cb

I agree totally.   If it was a cocktail, it would be 95% sport gin and only 5% touring vermouth!   But plenty fun for day-trips.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

I have an FJ and can tell you that cruising at 70+ mph on an Interstate for long periods of time is not its forte.  I would not take mine across the U.S.

cb

I would in a heartbeat. But, it might be relative. Have toured a Gold Wing. Have done 6k+ mile tours on a 325 lb 35 hp SuperMoto. The worst thing on that trip (aside from the seat) was trying to make a pass on a mini van into a headwind :)

• Thumbsup 2

Maybe it's an age thing....

At 70+ I ain't doing a 6k mile tour on an FJ or a supermoto!

Unless of course Ive had a few of @wordsmith cocktails mixed to his specification above.

cb

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

17 hours ago, nhchris said:

cb

My first bike many moons ago was a Kawasaki 440 in the early 80’s. I used to ride that stock two up with my future and now still current wife. If I could ride that bike for hours on end, I can’t see the 900 GT being too torturous. 🙂

Doug

Edited by Dbaliko
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dbaliko said:

My first bike many moons ago was a Kawasaki 440 in the early 80’s. 🙂

Doug

The 'early 80's' was indeed many moons ago, Doug - may be almost 40!  You'll have aged and changed a lot in that time - I certainly have! - and what came easily then to all of us may not be so achievable today.