Powerlet Outlet - Tracer 900

Hi there,

I want to continue to use the Powerlet size 12v auxilary power sockets on the Tracer.  These are about half the size of a cigarette lighter socket and are used on BMW/Ducati/Triumph (at least).

All my gear is set up for these sockets and I do not want to change them as they are fitted to my other bike.

I have set up a PDM60 to safely distribute power, but am looking for ideas where people have actually installed a Powerlet socket in vicinity of the seat - will be used for heated clothing (105W) for self and pillion.  Will be installing 2.

Thanks,

Vince

Powerlet socket.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Much more reliable than the flimsy cigarette lighter sockets. Their useful life expired with the death of the cigarette lighter (option still available on some vehicles). I have three of the Powerlet type connections on the bike. I find the two side sockets very useful, and I very rarely use the dash connection.

Replaced OE socket with this... Powerlet compatible socket (eBay).

powerlet_dash.png.eea89b9d89450b63c84115e629b2f346.png

Heated jacket connection (it's on a controller output side). Genuine Powerlet. (10A fused)

powerlet_heat.thumb.JPG.56dc76c86963d339ebc59af92c0c0ab8.JPG

Right side of the bike port for air pump,  battery tender etc. Genuine Powerlet w/spacer. (10A fused)

578596047_powerlet_heat(3).jpg.6ef3af5cb3ae9a19f3f1156aaab78822.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member
9 hours ago, MrClean731 said:

Can you refer to the Powerlet Part No. you used or provide the link? Did you get harness and splice on plugs to connect withn OE terminals?

Side of bike sockets are PSO-001and PSO-007 with a boot and a spacer available (here) and probably elsewhere. The socket on the dash can be had from Amazon (here). I had to enlarge the bracket opening just a bit, and spliced the socket it into the OE plug AUX circuit. The others are off switched power elsewhere.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Down the page at this link, I made a custom mount location for my Tracer 900 GT for the Powerlet, that worked very very well this last year.   

20200201_203558089_iOS-scaled.jpg?w=640

So last fall I sold my trusty 2005 Triumph Sprint ST motorcycle...

Its right behind the left side behind the rider, doesn't interfere with the luggage, is angled down so no moisture builds into it, and its easy to connect and disconnect from when getting on or off the bike or getting gas.   If people are interested in this 3D printed part I would be happy to make them available on my page JK3D.us   Just requires a hole drilled through the metal mesh. 

image.png.39dc2e3b939e8fd4944369bf53e26dbd.png 

Ha, so I had the designs open actually, and figure I'd post this mount for sale for others if anyone wants one :)  

2021-03-29_14-28-02.jpg?fit=888%2C894&ss

Custom Powerlet Connector Mount for the Yamaha Tracer 900...

It has a link to the proper powerlet adapter as well. 

That's a very nice setup!  Currently have a Battery Tender type connector that I pull out from under the seat when I want to run my heated jacket but this is a much better setup!  I don't use a lot of heated gear but have a jacket liner for long trips when I may get caught in some cooler weather.  Last year got caught off guard in cold rain a day after riding in 99F temperatures.  Note to self, always take heated gear and keep it where it is easy to get to in the rain!

I wired a Powerlet directly to the battery and it is mounted to the front attachment point for the passenger foot peg.  It is fused 15 amps.  I have an SAE plug for it so I can connect my portable air compressor.  I also have a dual USB plug for charging my phone.  

Powerlet.jpg

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Hmmm, these look like a good option.  I've currently got the stock "cigarette lighter" socket which I just fill with a USB charger, and a pigtail of other connectors for my heated gear under the seat, but I've been waffling about putting in a unified power connector for all my assorted gear.  I'd really like a Magcode connector, but they're so expensive it's hard to justify. 

How does the powerlet handle forgetting it's attached and just walking away from the bike (for example, with heated gear)?

20 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I wired a Powerlet directly to the battery and it is mounted to the front attachment point for the passenger foot peg.  It is fused 15 amps.  I have an SAE plug for it so I can connect my portable air compressor.  I also have a dual USB plug for charging my phone.  

That is where mine was going to go as well initially.  But I wanted to keep it more out of the weather a bit. 

50 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

How does the powerlet handle forgetting it's attached and just walking away from the bike (for example, with heated gear)?

Very well, it will just drain your battery :)  to switch the powerlet and heated gear I would get some kind of high amp relay setups. 

19 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Very well, it will just drain your battery :)  to switch the powerlet and heated gear I would get some kind of high amp relay setups. 

No, you misunderstand.  I mean, walking away while the gear you're wearing is still plugged in, so it yanks the plug out.  Does it pop out easily, or is it likely to damage things?  This is a problem I have with SAE plugs actually, as I often find them very tight and unwilling to just separate easily, and I'd be very sad if I damaged my rather expensive heated jacket liner by stepping away from the bike while plugged in.

Or pulled the bike off it's kickstand.