Trip Functions - Fuel Used

vincep

Hi Guys,

I configured the dash to have coolant temperature and Trip 1 on one screen as I use that trip for mileage since last fill up.  

Can anyone answer the following, as my attempts have not given me a clear indication:

1. Is the fuel used function linked to either mileage trip meter?

2. Does it reset when you refuel automatically, or do you need to zero it?

3. Linked to 1. above, if you zero either of the trip meters (Trip 1 or Trip 2) does it automatically reset the fuel used to 0

One final question, is the average fuel consumption linked to either trip meters or just the average since last reset.

Vince

The fuel used screen, does 

• Supporting Member

Hiya, Vince.  Only my 2 cents...

1.  I don't think it's linked to a specific trip meter.

2.  I have to reset to zero.

3.  I use Trip 1 for tank mileage and Trip 2 for chain lube intervals.  No impact to the "fuel consumed" counter.

I believe fuel consumption is an average since last reset.  

Again, these are just my observations.  Hopefully someone will roger up with definitive input.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

As far as I'm aware not linked to trip meters, just average since last reset, I never reset in any bike I've owned so I get an overall average.

Presume it's worked out by fuel gauge÷odometer, I work out at each fuel up based on fuel in and trip meter.

Real world mpg(uk) 50-55mpg, dash says 60.2mpg overall.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, whistler said:

Hiya, Vince.  Only my 2 cents...

1.  I don't think it's linked to a specific trip meter.

2.  I have to reset to zero.

3.  I use Trip 1 for tank mileage and Trip 2 for chain lube intervals.  No impact to the "fuel consumed" counter.

I believe fuel consumption is an average since last reset.  

Again, these are just my observations.  Hopefully someone will roger up with definitive input.

I like the idea of using trip 2 for chain lube intervals, will start at next lube!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member

Not linked, as stated above, when it comes to resetting.

But, some additional observations on my bike:  the fuel used is about 10% optimistic, or reads low.  If it reads you have consumed 3.0 gallons since last reset, you will find when you fill the tank, that it actually used 3.3 gallons.  The mpg is about 10% optimistic, or reads high.  If it reads that you got 55 mpg and you calculate actual miles traveled and actual fuel at refill, you will get 50 mpg.  The trip odometers are not identical to the odometer on the bike, they are about 1% high - reset a trip odometer when the main odometer is at a 100 even number and the trip will read 101 when the odometer has traveled 100 miles.

I like the "fuel used" reading and reset it at every refill, that's how I know it's off by 10%, and it doesn't bother me since it is predictable and repeatable.  I figured the mpg would be off by the same since I figured they use each other's information.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived