Screen for tall rider

Hi guys, new here having just purchased a new Tracer GT.

First thing needing to be changed is the screen. At 6'6" / 198cm I'm looking for recommendations from other tall riders for a screen that will eliminate wind noise for long highway rides.

Thanks in advance :)

I am 6'3" and just installed a small extension similar to this on my GT. (www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Windshield-Extension-Deflector-Motorcycle/dp/B06X3TS89H). This does not give you the perfect pocket of still air that some are looking for but does allow for open visor riding on occasion. I don't mind the original screen as far as wind protection is concerned but the noise level was terrible.  This unit smooths the air around my helmet an drops the noise level dramatically. Try holding your hand over the stock screen at speed and see if the noise drops to a level you can live with. If a flat hand will do the trick, this small screen may be all you need. Given the cheep price it is worth a try.

I will be looking for a stock screen to cut down for summer riding to give good air flow to my body and smooth air to the helmet in hot weather.

• Supporting Member

Welcome, Stealth!  Being a wee bit shorter than you, I can't personally testify to a screen that'll meet your needs, but maybe check out this link to another thread here on the forum, and you might at least get some ideas for tall screens that may work for you.

I do know that National Cycle V-Streams can now be had in a Touring model, and California Scientific makes a tall Touring screen for the GT as well; several riders here use'em and have good things to say about'em.

Best of luck!

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

19 minutes ago, mike said:

I am 6'3" and just installed a small extension similar to this on my GT. (www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Windshield-Extension-Deflector-Motorcycle/dp/B06X3TS89H). This does not give you the perfect pocket of still air that some are looking for but does allow for open visor riding on occasion. I don't mind the original screen as far as wind protection is concerned but the noise level was terrible.  This unit smooths the air around my helmet an drops the noise level dramatically. Try holding your hand over the stock screen at speed and see if the noise drops to a level you can live with. If a flat hand will do the trick, this small screen may be all you need. Given the cheep price it is worth a try.

I will be looking for a stock screen to cut down for summer riding to give good air flow to my body and smooth air to the helmet in hot weather.

Hi Mike, the link provided doesn't work, but I'm assuming it is something similar to the MRA spoiler. I have added one of these to my stock screen, and while it is an improvement, it is only marginal. 

I'm wondering if this might work better for me fitted on either the Yamaha taller screen or mra screen.

The one I used is even smaller than the MRA unit. I paid $25 for it out of China. If the larger MRA unit does't work, this one probably will not either. If you want the ultimate in protection and adjustability, take a look at Madstad. I had their screens on my Vstrom and Tiger 1050, they are outstanding. They are pricey though.

1 hour ago, whistler said:

Welcome, Stealth!  Being a wee bit shorter than you, I can't personally testify to a screen that'll meet your needs, but maybe check out this link to another thread here on the forum, and you might at least get some ideas for tall screens that may work for you.

I do know that National Cycle V-Streams can now be had in a Touring model, and California Scientific makes a tall Touring screen for the GT as well; several riders here use'em and have good things to say about'em.

Best of luck!

Thanks Whistler, I'll have a browse later.

1 hour ago, mike said:

The one I used is even smaller than the MRA unit. I paid $25 for it out of China. If the larger MRA unit does't work, this one probably will not either. If you want the ultimate in protection and adjustability, take a look at Madstad. I had their screens on my Vstrom and Tiger 1050, they are outstanding. They are pricey though.

Thanks Mike, 

They look promising. Various screen height options with a rider height cross reference.

It looks like they would do away with the stock screen height adjuster. This probably isn't a bad thing given how flimsy it is. Stock screen with MRA spoiler and it flaps around quite a bit at speed. 

Only real concern would be if the stock hand guards are compatible. Anyone have experience with Madstad screens on the GT?

2 hours ago, mike said:

I don't mind the original screen as far as wind protection is concerned but the noise level was terrible.  

Fixing annoying noise is far easier (and cheaper) than fixing other screen issues: just buy and use a good quality - preferably custom-made - ear-plugs.   I wouldn't ride without them.   On the very rare occasions that I forget to put 'em in before riding off I always (a) wonder how anyone can ride without ear-protection and (b) immediately turn around for home and and plug 'em in!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Fixing annoying noise is far easier (and cheaper) than fixing other screen issues: just buy and use a good quality - preferably custom-made - ear-plugs.   I wouldn't ride without them.   On the very rare occasions that I forget to put 'em in before riding off I always (a) wonder how anyone can ride without ear-protection and (b) immediately turn around for home and and plug 'em in!

Good suggestion wordsmith, riding without them is very much ill advised. The damaged caused by wind noise is not good and irreversible.  

I always wear hearing protection. However, wind noise on this bike is still an annoyance. 

I had the same problem with my old VFR750, tried different screens and could not find one which made long highway trips tolerable.

My preference on the GT at present is no windscreen.  I live in the topics up the top end of Australia and could ride around here without a screen all year.

However, later in the year I intend to ride down the coast in climates which will be much cooler and require wind protection. Plenty of time to find a suitable option, I hope a few taller riders can give input to assist in picking the right one. Buying screen after screen to find the best fit becomes frustrating. 

Whereabouts are you in the 'topics', Stealthy?   I'm in SE Q'ld and echo your being able to happily ride around screen-less - but I leave it on.

Although mine is NOT a GT, I did find that a so-called double-bubble aftermarket screen, nicely-made and pretty solid, from China (about $44) made quite some difference to the air-flow when I fitted it to replace the OE screen which so many folks here detest - although I did it mainly for appearance reasons, not performance.   I don't know if a GT version is yet out, but worth looking?   

And are you sure that your helmet is not contributing to the noise factor?

Best...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

19 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Whereabouts are you in the 'topics', Stealthy?   I'm in SE Q'ld and echo your being able to happily ride around screen-less - but I leave it on.

Although mine is NOT a GT, I did find that a so-called double-bubble aftermarket screen, nicely-made and pretty solid, from China (about $44) made quite some difference to the air-flow when I fitted it to replace the OE screen which so many folks here detest - although I did it mainly for appearance reasons, not performance.   I don't know if a GT version is yet out, but worth looking?   

And are you sure that your helmet is not contributing to the noise factor?

Best...

North East QLD mate. 

It is definitely the screen. At speed, I can position my hand on top of the screen to reduce it. My helmet isn't the quietest out there (Shoei Neotec) but as said, it is a much quieter ride without the screen fitted. 

If the hand at the top of the screen reduces it enough, you might try one of the smaller screen extensions. it works for me. The larger unit you were using may have been too large and caused additional turbulence.

The MRA one I have installed came with two mounting options, clip onto the top, or screw on. 

I went with the easy option, clip on. At full height there is a fair sized gap between the screen and the spoiler. 

I might try screwing it on, if I get the position right it might work out for me.

25 minutes ago, mike said:

Once again, for $25, it is cheep to try even if it doesn't work for you. 

Yep, if it is bothering you too much definitely worth a try @ $25.