Screen for tall rider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Unclemicky said:

Has any one just cut off an inch or two off the original , I'm quite tempted 😉

Yes, did 2 cuts on the optional touring screen.  An inch or inch & half the first time, then another one or two later ,,, I forget.  Neither worked for me.  Still helmet rumbling.  Got a Madstad ... problem solved.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, Unclemicky said:

Has any one just cut off an inch or two off the original , I'm quite tempted 😉

Dragon1.thumb.jpg.4de1724ea22ac6ee35cdeefd8fc5ad70.jpg

I'm 6'3" and I pretty much only ride with my sporty screen. Its just the original, shaved down about 2" and wrapped in black vinyl.

I have the Yamaha Touring Screen (24"?) and the ermax 20" screen... both are terrible for wind buffeting at highway speed. I prefer just riding in the clean air, even if it makes me a bit more tired. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, R.C. said:

Yes, did 2 cuts on the optional touring screen.  An inch or inch & half the first time, then another one or two later ,,, I forget.  Neither worked for me.  Still helmet rumbling.  Got a Madstad ... problem solved.

To the madstad users:

In your expierencr what makes the madstad resolve the buffeting and noise? Is it the adjustable angle? Is it the extra 2 windows at the sides?

Fact that the wind can also get under the screen? Not creating a vacume??

The big thing is the wind that is allowed behind the screen.  That gets rid of the low pressure pocket which the cause of turbulence and noise.  CalSci has a good explanation of this (scroll down to the Aerodynamics section) of this article.  A link:

Madstad also explains this in their FAQ (#5). 

Although CalSci makes windscreens, I just didn't like the looks as well as I liked Madstad.

(I had also tried spacing my Yamaha touring screen away from the mounts to get airflow behind it ... but couldn't get it far enough away and still make the fit between the mount and screen work). 

Edited by R.C.
  • Thumbsup 1

On 10/17/2019 at 5:58 PM, Michiel900GT said:

I do wonder if the bike can take a 24/26" Madstad screen. Won't it ultimately break your cockpit due to the fact that the screen creates too much pressure/force on the mounting system of the Tracer?

I asked Madstad via their website about this. No response. Maybe they don't want to take responsibility for future claims?

6 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

I asked Madstad via their website about this. No response. Maybe they don't want to take responsibility for future claims?

There are no issues mate.

Some of the stock mounting hardware is removed to fit the madstrad. It is quite secure when fitted. High speeds, no issue.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/8/2019 at 1:04 AM, Soullancer said:

To the madstad users:

In your expierencr what makes the madstad resolve the buffeting and noise? Is it the adjustable angle? Is it the extra 2 windows at the sides?

Fact that the wind can also get under the screen? Not creating a vacume??

image.png.de22963e289c99cd247eae8ab1e1bc57.png

riding is really believing

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

I bought the Chinese double bubble screen ,but sent it back ,it wasn't any better than OEM standard

I must admit it was very fast post from China, a great price and looked good ,to short for me .

One thing I've changed on my screen is the PLASTIC flat head attaching screws .

One head broke off when fitting a temporary screen to my Tracer ,just imagine at 150 kmh  I wouldn't want that to happen to the other three .

High quality SS in black have been refitted .

Im going for  A Givi high screen in Light Smoke , but they are out of stock in Italy and the US are far to expensive by 100 bucks .

Had a MadStad on my BMW F800GT, came from a ZX6R 636 to that bike and wow what a change.  It was really quiet behind the screen but I always had a roaring from airflow at the top of my helmet.  I tried lots of different positions and finally just left it alone - always wore earplugs so not so bad.  Chin int on my helmet got almost no airflow so that was not so good.  In the rain and cold was nice as it kept a lot of the rain off of me - helmet was above the visor and the outsides of my arms got some rain but not too bad.  My current MSR setup is as quiet or quieter, no buffeting but probably a bit more rain.  I haven't ridden in the rain - for local rides dent ride in the rain but on long trips seem to always hit some rain.