GT-tracer 900 vs Versys 650 (no ABS) as a first big bike

AtoB

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, thejrod said:

The Tracer is downright tame. It's not like it's a 200hp Ducati superbike. I wouldn't even hesitate. Yes, it has enough power to get you into trouble, but it's never the power that's the problem - it's how you ride it

Knew it was only a matter of time... too funny. Terrible advise for a new rider.

• Thumbsup 4

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

49 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Knew it was only a matter of time... too funny. Terrible advise for a new rider.

lol

We tell noobs to start on 600 supersports all the time instead of 1000s, and those 600s have more power than the Tracer does. It's no fire-breathing monster, c'mon. It won't bite. Bikes don't magically sense that their riders are inexperienced and launch them to the moon. It's all about control. A hamfisted rider will get into trouble on a 300, but a careful rider can be fine on an H2R. 

Like I said, if we were talking about 200+hp superbikes, then sure. But in the grand scheme of motorcycling, the Tracer is easy to ride and very user friendly.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, thejrod said:

lol

We tell noobs to start on 600 supersports all the time instead of 1000s, and those 600s have more power than the Tracer does. It's no fire-breathing monster, c'mon. It won't bite. Bikes don't magically sense that their riders are inexperienced and launch them to the moon. It's all about control. A hamfisted rider will get into trouble on a 300, but a careful rider can be fine on an H2R. 

Like I said, if we were talking about 200+hp superbikes, then sure. But in the grand scheme of motorcycling, the Tracer is easy to ride and very user friendly.

Especially since he is coming off a 10 hp scooter, and the Tracer will do 100mph in 2nd gear....  😎  what could go wrong.  

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Still though, coming from a 135cc, 10hp scooter?  Come on now.  The Tracer is not the next logical step.  The Versys 650 is still my recommendation.  Ride the Versys for a year or two to get some experience.  The Versys is a bike with plenty of power to learn on.  Top speed is about 120 mph.  0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds.   I love my Tracer, but would not recommend it for a rider graduating from a small scooter.  And that's my 2 cents worth.

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, thejrod said:

The Tracer is downright tame. It's not like it's a 200hp Ducati superbike. I wouldn't even hesitate. Yes, it has enough power to get you into trouble, but it's never the power that's the problem - it's how you ride it. 

That, folks, is the nub of this question: it's not the bike, it's the rider.   Anyone feeling a little intimidated about getting onto  a Tracer should perhaps/ definitely think about taking a bit of a refresher skills course beforehand.   But the power - if that's the cause of apprehension - is markedly tamed by use of the press-of-a-button 'B' driving mode (B = 'soft', or 'rain') - I use it a lot in heavy/ nose-to-tail traffic.   

The rest of the bike is entirely unchallenging, IMHO: a nice upright riding position gives a great view of the road ahead, controls are light and easy, and the bike overall, whether on the road or being shoved around in the garage always seems to me to appear to be lighter than it actually is, even though it is in reality quite a light machine. 

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 3

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Not sure you have to take incremental steps in power. Road craft counts for a lot, and if you've survived on a scooter you must have some awareness. Keeping up with traffic is a less dangerous than constantly being overtaken. Thing is, with more power, you've still got a throttle. In addition, with the tracer, 3 riding modes, traction control and ABS. Mmm.  A bike you feel at ease on, will be the bike to have, so grab a ride on both. 

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

Not sure you have to take incremental steps in power. Road craft counts for a lot, and if you've survived on a scooter you must have some awareness. Keeping up with traffic is a less dangerous than constantly being overtaken. Thing is, with more power, you've still got a throttle. In addition, with the tracer, 3 riding modes, traction control and ABS. Mmm.  A bike you feel at ease on, will be the bike to have, so grab a ride on both. 

^^This^^

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

I would test ride both the MT-07 and Tracer900... My reason is the MT-07 has no "electronic throttle"- just a good ole cable system all the way to the throttle bodies... The Tracer900 has an "electronic throttle"- has a very small cable system leading to an electronic motor that opens/close the throttle bodies and very quick to react to stuble wrist movements...

Also both bikes have two very different engine sensations/ power delivery... The MT-07- tractor like torque feeling in all gears(low to mid range power)...Tracer900- caged cheetah always ready to run( low mid-range to redline power)...

• Thumbsup 4
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

I'd say get the Tracer.  What Tripletrouble said above is my opinion also.  If YOU are concerned about too much power at first, set the riding mode to B, that's the softest of the three available modes, and I bet in a couple of weeks you'll be totally comfortable with the power.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I would test ride both the MT-07 and Tracer900... My reason is the MT-07 has no "electronic throttle"- just a good ole cable system all the way to the throttle bodies... The Tracer900 has an "electronic throttle"- has a very small cable system leading to an electronic motor that opens/close the throttle bodies and very quick to react to stuble wrist movements...

Also both bikes have two very different engine sensations/ power delivery... The MT-07- tractor like torque feeling in all gears(low to mid range power)...Tracer900- caged cheetah always ready to run( low mid-range to redline power)...

The electronic throttle cables actually dull down the response, not enhance it. 

Even in A mode, it doesn't provide close to a 1:1 throttle to valve ratio. Snap the throttle to WOT and the computer tells the valves to open progressively (all in less than a second).

The difference in responsiveness more relates to the lessor capacity and torque. 

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Totally agree. Nicely put.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:13 AM, betoney said:

Especially since he is coming off a 10 hp scooter, and the Tracer will do 100mph in 2nd gear....  😎  what could go wrong.  

Here comes a 30mph bend. A scooter will do 50mph? The Tracer will also do 10mph in second gear if you use that throttle thingy. So which bike is the most dangerous round that bend. A scooter doing 50 or a Tracer doing 10?  Judging by the amount of small engine cars in ditches around our country bends, less power doesn't necessarily mean less accidents. 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Good luck with a decision, AtoB.

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Control the wrist, control the bike. Between the tracer (850cc) and a 650 IMO there isn't THAT much of a difference in power to warrant a massive concern. I can't imagine most would think going with a non-ABS 650 over an ABS 850 is the right compromise, I think the opposite personally. I'd be way more concerned about an inexperienced rider locking up their brakes in a panic situation. The inexperienced getting into accidents because the bike is too fast are not from lack of experience but from lack of respect for how quickly they'll be killed on a bike.

Step 1 should be to find a motorcycle safety foundation program and ride the course. Yes, you have a scooter already but even riding for years I'll occasionally retake the class or an advanced class be we inevitably build bad habits and it can help to greatly reduce those habits or at least be aware of them.

Step 2 get a bike that's comfortable and has some form of traction control as a new rider, I've venture to guess more riders (who are older and aren't playing Joe rocket with the throttle) are hurt by panic stops or slick stops over goosing the throttle in a curve.  I'd say go with whatever has more safety features and has a reduced power mode to work with for a while, that and remember, with great power comes great responsibility. :)

• Thumbsup 5
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT