Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Anyone here uses a TPMS with internal sensors and would recommend their model?

And any opinions on internal vs external sensors? I am aware the external sensors require metal valve stems and there is the obvious advantage of having not having to remove the tyre to change the sensor.

Edited by bugie

• Premium Member

I have installed a Cyclops TPMS unit and use metal "T" valves, which allow the external sensors to remain installed and still gives access to adjust pressures when needed.

Cyclops TPMS: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System_p_171.html

Hawkshead "T" valves: www.tpms.ca/t-valve%20tire%20valve%20for%20tires,%20tire%20pressure%20monitoring%20systems,%20tpms.html

• Thumbsup 2

50 minutes ago, clint said:

You can see my TPMS setup in yesterday's post.

I had actually seen that and it got me thinking. Your setup uses external sensors and got curious about reliable systems with internal sensors.

Edited by bugie

• Premium Member

The beauty of using the external sensors internally with the Doran valve stems, is that you don't have to worry about them leaking air. You can also add air like normal. Also, most internal sensors don't have replaceable batteries. With these you can simply replace the battery with every tire change if needed. The monitor tells you if either of the batteries are getting low. The Tiregard can be had for <$100 and it performs flawlessly with the monitor mounted between the bars.

IMG_4287.jpg.828ef769538fdc86a94af79b9aa8ce7c.jpg

• Thanks 2
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 9:37 PM, clint said:

The beauty of using the external sensors internally with the Doran valve stems, is that you don't have to worry about them leaking air. You can also add air like normal. Also, most internal sensors don't have replaceable batteries. With these you can simply replace the battery with every tire change if needed. The monitor tells you if either of the batteries are getting low. The Tiregard can be had for <$100 and it performs flawlessly with the monitor mounted between the bars.

Clint, I couldn't find your original post in the link you provided.  This is what you are using?

http://www.s428895111.onlinehome.us/blog/downloads/files/Press Releases/17-/13-/13-325.pdf

The metric version fits the FJ rim valve opening ok?

Vince