Check Engine Light - Code 069 - Less than 5 miles

Finally had an opportunity to take my new, 0 mile, grey FJ for a short ride.  Ended up being even shorter than I intended.  Got barely 2 miles away and the check engine light came on.  I immediately stopped to check for anything obvious (low oil).  All looked well.  Re-started and light came right back on.  Rode straight home.  Noticed the screen showed an error code of 069.  Looks like I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow.  Not what I call an auspicious beginning.  bummer

Anybody else experience this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally had an opportunity to take my new, 0 mile, grey FJ for a short ride.  Ended up being even shorter than I intended.  Got barely 2 miles away and the check engine light came on.  I immediately stopped to check for anything obvious (low oil).  All looked well.  Re-started and light came right back on.  Rode straight home.  Noticed the screen showed an error code of 069.  Looks like I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow.  Not what I call an auspicious beginning.  bummer 
Anybody else experience this?

That's a code for the Front Wheel speed sensor I believe.
May want to have a look at the front wheel to see if the sensor is resting in its cavity and secured by small Allen head bolt.

-skip

I had this code while on the dyno. It is definitely front wheel speed sensor. Mine went away once both wheels were spinning on my first real ride. Inspect the front wheel speed sensor.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Took a cursory look.  Don't know what the speed sensor looks like.  I figured it would have a wire going to it.  Don't see anything by the front wheel that has a wire to it.  Can anyone provide a picture or more specific description?  TIA 

Took a cursory look.  Don't know what the speed sensor looks like.  I figured it would have a wire going to it.  Don't see anything by the front wheel that has a wire to it.  Can anyone provide a picture or more specific description?  TIA 

Picture? Can take one in the am for you, no worries.

In the mean time it's hidden under a black plastic cover below the (I think) rh brake caliper, and under/toward the rear of the lower rh fork tube (the cover, that is)

The sensor itself has one black "cord" leading to it that should run down under that cover. The sensor is installed in a plate that replaces one of the axle spacers on the front wheel. The plate is sandwiched between the fork tube and one side of the front wheel. It also has an indexing "slot" that aligns with a "tab" on the inner part of the fork tube.
(This is easier to see with the wheel removed.)

However the sensor installs in this "plate" from the outside of the wheel. It can be removed from the plate with the wheel installed on the bike.

Follow the cord down, and look for a short, cylindrical, item (about the size of 2-3 Life savers candys stuck together) with a hole to allow a small Allen socket bolt to secure it to the plate.

In your case, the bolt might be missing, the plate could be installed incorrectly, or the sensor might be not even there.

I'll snap a pic of mine in the am. Sorry, a bit hard to explain via typing.

Good luck.
Skip

Fzkenm,
it's not a speed sensor. It's the ABS sensor. It must be on the same side of the front wheel with a slotted ring screwed to the rim hub.
Make sure the sensor and ring are clean, have a gap....no more than about 3mm (insert inch here) between the sensor flat face and the slotted ring. The sensor is bolted size 6mm (insert inch here) on a carrier which is probably part of the lower fork/caliper mount.

NOTE:
If you (& others) have never had ABS on a motorcycle before, you MUST always remove the ABS sensors before removing any wheel!
Otherwise, as you remove the wheel without removing the sensor, the ring can slice the plastic encapsulation of the sensor and you will have these errors showing up all the bloody time.
No, I not speaking from experience. I used to design cars...
That goes for workshop meatheads too!

Good luck.
Cheers,
Steve

Nice, Happy 01. Exactly the cover I was referring to... 
I snapped a couple more pics for clarity. 

(hopefully this works)

IMG_2749_zpsyqbr3q4b.jpg

and

IMG_2750_zpstporqwlx.jpg

HTH, Skip

Yes, Thank you.  I was able to take a better look today and readily found it.  After I moved the bike away from next to the wall. lol

I took it to the dealer to let them resolve it.  The weather went back to typical early NW Ohio spring (i.e. cold, wet, gloomy) so I wasn't going to be able to do much in the way of riding.

• Premium Member

Nice, Happy 01. Exactly the cover I was referring to... 
I snapped a couple more pics for clarity. 

(hopefully this works)

IMG_2749_zpsyqbr3q4b.jpg

and

IMG_2750_zpstporqwlx.jpg

HTH, Skip

Great picture Skip. Thanks. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Yup, I had the same experience today. I picked up my brand new red FJ at the dealer. Did a quick get acquainted ride in the adjacent neighborhood, then started home. Maybe got 2 miles from the dealer and the check engine and ABS lights came on. Having seen this problem reported on this forum, I turned around and headed back to the dealer. The mechanic noticed the screen showed an error code of 069. I suggested he check the front wheel sensor but he didnt. Since this was the first FJ-09 they had sold (they done have a service manual and didn't even know how to take the riders seat off !!), they will call Yamaha tomorrow for the fix. Sure hope its an easy fix, we are having beautiful riding weather in central Florida.  Not the best experience.!

Archived