Listening to Audio when riding......

• Premium Member

I commute 35-45 minutes each way to work. I bought a Sena 20S Bluetooth communication system for my helmet so I can listen to music and chat with my buddies when we do our annual summer treks.

I have been using in-ear buds, which plug directly into the Sena unit on the side of the helmet. This setup works pretty well, the ear buds help protect my ears from the engine and wind noise, but let me clearly hear the music or radio.

The problem? It is a pain in the butt to get the ear buds in, route the cords so it doesn’t bind when I turn my head, and make sure everything is connected and working. And I have to do it each time I start the bike.

I tried scrapping the headphones and listening to the internal helmet speakers directly, but without something in my ears, the engine and wind noise was too loud to hear the music well, and it hurt my ears. When I put ear plugs in, I couldn’t hear the music very well.

Ideally I would like a set of ear buds that are comfortable to wear, let the music through, yet block the engine and road noise. (if such a thing actually exists)

Anyone have any suggestions? and what do you use on your bike during commuting and/or long trips.

Thanks,

David

33 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

Maybe upgrade your speakers? 

This. I’ve been researching better speakers for my Sena20s as well and I’ve been reading really good reviews about the iASUS brand of helmet speakers. Plug and play with the sena just like you do now with your ear buds only the speakers stay in the helmet obviously.   

• Supporting Member

Hi @DavidS - I use a Sena 20s with the standard helmet speakers in my Shoei RF1200, and have had really good luck with the music quality.  I wear earplugs all the time, but I can hear the music just fine, while filtering out much of the background and wind noise.   I use off-the shelf Mack’s foam orange plugs (NRR 33 dB).  

What I have noticed is that the helmet speaker location is critical, and can be tricky to get right.  The speaker pockets in my Shoei aren’t quite large enough to fit the standard Sena speakers, so I’ve spent a lot of time getting the speakers positioned exactly where I want them.  I’ve got it adjusted so that the foam speaker covers just BARELY make contact with my ear...  comfortable, and the music comes through loud and clear.  

• Thumbsup 5

I use a Cardo system. When using the Cardo speakers alone I have the same problem. For longer rides I usually use custom moulded noise cancelling ear plugs (designed specifically for motorcycles). These drown out the wind and traffic noise and make the Cardo speakers much easier to use. To be clear i don't mean the music type of noise cancelling ear plugs but the safety type as per below:

motorcycle-earplugsalpine-hearing-protec
WWW.ALPINEHEARINGPROTECTION.COM

After motorcycling, do you have problems with ringing in your ears? This is due to the noise to which you are exposed. In particular...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have the Sena SMH10 and wear earplugs. At highway speed I can more or less hear music, but it's not real clear and I can't listen to news above about 50mph. 

I'll have to look at options for upgraded speakers.

Have had helmet speakers but never enjoyed them. If you do stick with earbuds, took some trial and error but the Etymotic MC5 come with a variety of washable rubber and foam tips and one of them works great for me. All day comfortable, good quality, can still hear emergency vehicles. Been using them (and the ER6 model that preceded them) for ten plus years. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Here's what I did, bought these:

617FKeKkWwL._SL1100_.thumb.jpg.291130efc59134a3cd7879438f5b0429.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3CQ64Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this:

214479099_81wEIeX1L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c847e30c488666187e212ce09d55d910.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B003A28P0M?th=1

Then used the combination of the two to make a nice set of custom molded earbuds that work perfectly with my bluetooth communicators. Effective, comfortable noise attenuation that stays in the ear and allows you listen clearly to the music or communications at a lower volume.

IMG_4289.jpg.be57b2ab32ef202f096c9714f4dabd61.jpgIMG_4290.jpg.8037f2de053354aea068aebeabdb8479.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member

I use the Bluetooth version of the Shure SE215. They are sound-isolating earphones with good audio quality. If you like good audio, then this is better than using earplugs and speakers. They attenuate wind and road noise up to 37 dB which is better than most earplugs. That is enough that you can play the audio at normal levels (not loud) and avoid hearing damage. 

You can still hear things like sirens because 37 dB is not enough attenuation to eliminate loud high-pitched sounds like that.

They run 6 hours on a charge. The Bluetooth module contains control buttons but they are not meant for use with gloves.

SE215-K-BT1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member

Also a commuter... about 50km each way, some highway. Cardo inside RPHA 70 works very well. I wear Pinlock ear plugs and hear music/speech clearly at highway speeds. I second what @texscottyd said... speaker positioning makes a big difference. Also noticed an improvement since upgrading my helmet from the budget priced Bell Vortex. Hope you find a solution.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

So after 30 years of riding and lot of experimenting... here is the money is no object choice:

Get your phone bluetoothed into a Sena or Cardo system

Plug these into your ears-  

ES22-3.5-4.5-2T.jpg
WWW.PLUGUP.COM

under helmet earplugs,custom made in the ear stereo earspeakers, low profile for under helmet applications

Then, enjoy protection for your hearing with the ability to take phone calls and hear music on your own terms with voice commands etc.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, open1mind said:

So after 30 years of riding and lot of experimenting... here is the money is no object choice:

Get your phone bluetoothed into a Sena or Cardo system

Plug these into your ears-  

ES22-3.5-4.5-2T.jpg
WWW.PLUGUP.COM

under helmet earplugs,custom made in the ear stereo earspeakers, low profile for under helmet applications

Then, enjoy protection for your hearing with the ability to take phone calls and hear music on your own terms with voice commands etc.

I also have these and they work great. I upgraded from the SPlugs as I have small ear canals and they would bother me on long days. I will say I prefer  the amount of road noise I could hear with the SPlugs, the custom plugs isolate me more than I would like. 

Great product and customer service, both are repairable too.

Cardo now do a 45mm speaker upgrade.

jbl_speakers_300_300_2.png
WWW.CARDOSYSTEMS.COM

45mm speakers set and matching software for the ultimate sound experience

You could always splice these into an existing system you have, if it’s not got a jack plug.

I use a Sena 10u which fits inside my Schuberth helmet. It was initially poor sound, but positioning the speakers correctly, as stated by others, made all the difference. I wear pinlock ear plugs and this setup is quiet in terms of road and wind noise, but I can still hear the music, albeit at reduced volume.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)