Listening to Audio when riding......

Like @Open1Mind I tried various options and about 8 years ago went to custom moulded in ear speakers wired externally to the Sena S20.  Does not address your concern about having wires run out of the helmet to the exterior, routing those wires when you take your helmet off etc, etc.

I used a guy that goes to the international bike show that trips around the US, they mould your ears at the show and then produce them and mail them to you.  Expensive, but they have lasted 8 years.  They are of the quality (I am told) that musicians use on stage.

I do not have the brand in front of me, but there a few companies doing this.

Vince

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 7:50 AM, chitown said:

Have had helmet speakers but never enjoyed them. If you do stick with earbuds, took some trial and error but the Etymotic MC5 come with a variety of washable rubber and foam tips and one of them works great for me. All day comfortable, good quality, can still hear emergency vehicles. Been using them (and the ER6 model that preceded them) for ten plus years. 

Plus a million.  I'm hard of hearing and regular speakers don't do it for me, but I did manage to rathole  a few er6's before they were discontinued.  Combine them with a good fitting Shoei helmet and a Sena 20S and I'm okie dokie.

SMH-10 with off the shelf foam earplugs in a simple HJC IS helmet and I can hear music just fine, sometimes at less than 100% volume. It's also clear enough to hear podcasts, audiobooks, etc.  Speaker positioning is critical. Even 1/2 inch off makes a drastic difference. On my last helmet (Scorpion) I had to shave the foam to allow the speakers to drop a little more to fit centered on my ears. I also had to stuff a little bit of cloth between the speaker and the shell to move it closer to my ears. Once I found the sweet spot it was perfectly functional. The HJC fit spot on first time. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, bugie said:

I use a Cardo system. When using the Cardo speakers alone I have the same problem. For longer rides I usually use custom moulded noise cancelling ear plugs (designed specifically for motorcycles). These drown out the wind and traffic noise and make the Cardo speakers much easier to use. To be clear i don't mean the music type of noise cancelling ear plugs but the safety type as per below:

motorcycle-earplugsalpine-hearing-protec
WWW.ALPINEHEARINGPROTECTION.COM

After motorcycling, do you have problems with ringing in your ears? This is due to the noise to which you are exposed. In particular...

I use a Cardo also pretty much the whole time I'm on my bike.... which is a lot because my bike is my daily driver. Any time I am getting on the Interstate for over 5 mins I use attenuating noise filters. I used to have a set of Alpines (As mentioned above) and they were great until a dog ate one. Right now I am using a pair of Ear Peace noise filters.

I prefer attenuating noise filters because they only reduce certain frequencies (Most motorcycle specific designs focus on highs and lows). It reduces wind and engine noise drastically but I can still hear my music, approaching vehicles and converse with people fine. 

I also ordered a new windshield last month (hopefully it will ship about 2 weeks from now)  Which I am hoping reduces wind noise. My hearing already isn't the best so I'm trying really hard to preserve what I have.

Edited by Bimbim18

• Premium Member

Well, it sounds like there are as many solutions as people. I guess my experience isn't unusual. I keep switching between ear buds plugged into my Sena 20S (with wire tucked under my jacket, using the in-helmet speakers with ear plugs in my ears, or nothing at all.

I do wish someone would come up with a solution that works better..... but maybe one doesn't exist yet!

I have a Schuberth C3 and the integrated (but optional) speaker / mic setup.  It works a charm for this.  The mic detects wind noise, and scales up the volume when riding and then back down at stops.  This allows setting my phone to play audio at one volume, and the helmet keeps it audible but not overpowering.  This helmet is very quiet (but hot) so unless I'm doing an all day ride, I don't wear earplugs.  Podcasts, music, FM radio, Sat Nav commentary, even the rare phone call: all very clear. It's bluetooth connected to my phone, so no wires dangling from my hat.  I get more than one full day of riding / listening, so as long as I charge up each night, I'm good for long trips.

Before this setup, I tried the earbuds but never found a set that would stay in place.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 years later...

I use wired earbuds with my Cardo headsets.  For short local rides I'll use the speakers for interstate and long trips its earbuds.  Over the years have tried many different earbuds.  Monoprice made some nice ones that were about $50 and fit well and were not uncomfortable when wearing all day.

Looked at In Ear Monitors (IEM) and bought the Linsoul TINHIFI T3 Plus from Amazon.  They have a nice resin shell that is comfortable to wear and doesn't stick out too much.  LOL nothing like putting on a helmet and having it rake off earbuds that stick out too far!  I wear a thin skull cap which makes putting on the helmet and having everything stay in place better.  Wore the earbuds on a 300 mile ride last week and they did well.  I used the factory silicon parts but may switch to foam.  Sound is great and the noise isolation is great as well, can still hear noise but it is significantly muted.

I upgraded my SENA 20S to the 50S with the HD speakers when they offered a trade up.  I have been very pleased with this setup the 50S is superior insound than the 20S and I listen to music at speeds of 80mph with radian ear plugs.  Supposedly the Harman Kardan speakers are even better but I can't find them to try. 

• Thumbsup 1

I've wondered what everyone is doing for noise, thanks for the input. 

I have been using Raycon earbuds for a while now, along with a neck gaitor to help the sliding on and off of my helmet. These earbuds compared to other Bluetooth ones are a bit slimmer fitting to my head and don't get knocked out. Part of the problem I've found is that my helmet is too narrow for how wide of a head I have, and adding earbuds makes it worse. I personally don't like having cords, but also don't have any way to use corded IEM's, and Cardos and the like are a bit more than I want to spend with other things already filling that role. 

I have been using a set of TOZO Bluetooth earbuds but it is a challenge to get my helmet on without knocking one or both out of my ear(s). I will try a neck gaiter and see if it helps. I have a Cardo Bold which I use when riding with friends and can plug in wired earplugs but the sound is better with the Bluetooth earbuds.