first oil change options

What to do for the first 600 mile oil change?  Conventional wisdom has always led me to believe the motor needs time to break in properly and synthetic oil too early could be undesirable. Giving a look around I don't see many choices of non synthetic oil. what did you all use for the first oil change?

• Premium Member

I am pretty sure the vast majority have whatever the Yamaha dealer supplies. IIRC, that was their own synthetic Yamalube. 

SHOPYAMAHA.COM

Shop online with Yamaha apparel and riding gear and purchase Genuine Yamaha accessories including Star Custom accessories and GYTR performance products. Look up Genuine Yamaha Parts and find your local...

Follow what it says in your manual, not mythology from days when making engines was a craft rather than a precision industrial process where tolerances are incredibly tight and lubricants are made in laboratories not buckets on a castor bean farm. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks Wessie.. I am kind of hell bent on using a mineral oil for my first oil change because I feel that the engine needs time to break in. Synthetic oil is too slippery as I have heard being said. it might just be superstitious and not make any difference whatsoever.. kind of like taking vitamins hahaaa..  My local auto parts suppliers are really terrible.. had to look around for awhile to find one that even stocks specific non-synthetic motorcycle oil. I ended up getting Valvoline 10w40 made for motorcycles. The 4k oil change I will go with full synthetic.

First oil change should have happened in the first 5-10 miles to remove all the assembly lube/junk... Then I follow an oil change at 600miles, then Oil changes for me are when the shifting feels clunky vs using for "x" amount of miles... 

I'm not entirely convinced to spend a few more dollars in fancy blend oils/ full synthetic when im getting similar amount of miles before I feel the shifting is clunky...

Oils and oil change is like picking a religion...

REG OLE YAMALUBE is my choice...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

Just change your oil, none of the other stuff will make a difference. We aren't racing at the highest levels, just riding, commuting, and all around having fun. Your engine won't blow up if you use synthetic oil right out of the dealership, and waiting to change your oil until 5000 or even 10000 miles won't make the bike blow up either.

Go ride, and have fun!

8 hours ago, FB4004 said:

"Should have happened"  as in not written down anywhere? 😉

Correct... You also need the forum decoder ring to see the hidden goodies 😉

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Man... a "break in" and "type of oil" thread in one..

I've used Yamalube from day 1... pretty sure is a synthetic blend.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

I run synthetic in everything I own. Bikes, boats, cars, trucks and emergency generators. 

I run full synthetic Yamalube in the FJ and have since 600 miles.

YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Yamilube makes a semi-synth that the dealer service guy recommended to me for the 3k mile change.

After that change he suggested I use full syth Yamilube.

I do usually one change per year every 5-7k miles.

Most of us really baby these engines and I think they can take a lot more punishment than we are capable of giving!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Archived