Front fork knocking

Looking at buying a new Tracer 900 GT and I am about to pull the trigger.  Went to the dealer to get the VIN for an insurance quote and while sitting on the bike I pushed down on the bars to compress the fork and there was a very noticeable "clunk" on rebound.  I did this a few times and each time it was there and quite obvious.  Is this unusual or pretty much normal for this bike.  Have owned many bikes and never have I felt anything like this in the front end.  I would hate feeling like something is not tight in the front end every time I hit a bump.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

12 hours ago, denveryzf said:

My GT has done this since day one... has not gotten any worse or better in 5,000 miles

Do you notice it when touring and during normal riding?

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

It was something I could feel more than hear.  My concern is that I don't want to feel this when I am riding......it would feel as if there was something wrong with the forks.  No other bike I have ever owned exhibited this when pumping the forks.  Almost as if there is a gap between the internal components that opens and closes as the forks compress and extend.

Does anyone feel this through the bars on their GT when riding?

Edited by johnmark101

I have noticed it when compressing the forks up and down at a stop and occasionally can sense it when traversing railroad tracks at very low speed, but it is not felt or heard at all in normal riding including riding over bumps, etc. The suspension feels great in use. Nothing feels loose, etc. Interestingly enough, I have felt/heard the same thing in a 2016 FJR that I have ridden lately. 

I don't get this feeling when riding and to be honest at low speed it is more of a sound than a feeling through the handlebars. If you are worried try and go out for a test ride

All my Yamaha VMaxes, 3 of them, '94, '95, 99' made that sound/noise/feeling. Even after taking the front triple tree apart, regreased the bearings and tightened to correct specs. to get rid of the VMax headshake. Never had the noise or feeling on my ZRX1100 or ZX11D Ninja. Not sure if it's a Yamaha thing or if it's just the bearing setup in the bikes that make the noise. My 2015 FJ09 doesn't do it and it's a Yamaha. At least I don't think it does. Never felt/heard it. Don't have the headshake on my FJ09 but I took off the handguards right after getting it. reflashed it last year on a holiday for a better deal but never had the weave or headshake in triple digits after the reflash. From what I've experienced with my bikes and the comments here I'd say your OK. Even tho I have the 1st version of the FJ09 I'm very happy with the bike. Does what I want it to in a nice light package with plenty of performance. I am getting a few of the standard things found on the GT like slipper clutch and cruise. I already put the heated grips on and love them. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Was passing through Cincinnati today and stopped at a Yamaha dealer who also has a Tracer 900 GT in stock.  Tried the same thing with this bike and no knocking issue.  The other bike has some demo miles.

I am chomping at the bit for one of these and if no one makes a reasonable offer on the bike I have for sale within a few weeks,  I may bite the bullet and see what the dealer I visited today will offer on trade.

• Supporting Member

I may be the odd man out here but I have never heard a mechanical "clunk" when the forks rebound to full extension, and would be extremely concerned if I did. 

The only time I ever remember hearing that in 45 years of riding was on a 60cc bike when I was a kid, the forks were very low on oil.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have also felt this knock and will check tightness of steering bearings. Don't really think it will cure it though. When front end is off the ground I can grab front wheel and, while pulling forwards and back on it, I feel a slight looseness and movement. Also, planning on getting Traxxion cartridges and having it rebuilt by them. Just a bit annoying is all so far and can't say bike handles badly.

that is construction error...Yamaha know that but stay sailent.....all you must ask new front suspension....problem have only GT models....like my....i hate that sound and is not normal....i have filing like hamer hit on bars...bike whit error