MICHELIN ROAD 5 tyres

It seems that these ROAD 5s have replaced the earlier Pilot Road (PR) 4s in Michelin's line-up.   Pity, as I like the PRs very much.

Anybody here with experience of the ROAD 5s, and if so care to share observations?   Thank you...

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have had a set for about 3000miles or so... no signs of wear.  No complaints except the price. 

I am an all weather rider so the advertised water siphoning ability is what pulled me most the to Road 5s.  I had a set of Conti Road Attack 3s prior to the Road 5s and I feel like the Contis had a little more grip but it may just be in my head.  The Roads have more than enough for my style riding.

It makes sense to put a sport touring tire on the FJ/Tracer, but I think my next tire change I am going to go with something softer.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

3 hours ago, duhs10 said:

It makes sense to put a sport touring tire on the FJ/Tracer, but I think my next tire change I am going to go with something softer.

Thanks for the reply, duhs.   Your final words suggest that you find the Road 5s a little 'hard'.   I liked the PRs because they softened-up the ride somewhat after the OE Dunlops.   Can you comment on that?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks for the reply, duhs.   Your final words suggest that you find the Road 5s a little 'hard'.   I liked the PRs because they softened-up the ride somewhat after the OE Dunlops.   Can you comment on that?

I have replaced original Dunlops after 8000km by Michelin Road 5. Road 5 are definitely softer (damping the bad tarmac surface) and grip of Road 5 is much much better against OEM Dunlops. I lost grip with Road 5 only on dirty surface (rest of chippings on tarmac after winter maintaining). Road 5 grip in the morning low temperature (10-15°C) and slightly wet tarmac was surprisingly good. Next time I will take Road 5 again. The tread on side (softer compound) is more worned as in the center, but the tire is rounded, so OK.

I'm looking at new tires for my own bike.  I've been running Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs twice now.  I like them.  Grip is good.  Dry grip is a given.  But wet traction is not.  They've done well in all-year commuting in Seattle.  One thing I really like is how there is some tread crossing the middle of the tire.  With most of the wear in the center, it gives a good indication of the amount of tread left.

Dunlop has a rebate going on till the end of April.  

Another tire I'm looking closely at is the Continental Road Attack 3.  Also highly rated for traction in the wet.  And it has a rebate currently too.

Both tires should be good for longevity.  On my current bike, I'll probably get 12-13K out of the rear.  I'm at 11K now with about 4/32 left in the center tread area.  

When I look at the prices and the benefits of all the tires in this category, I can't see the benefit of the Road 5.  The difference between them and others is not much, but there's a good sized difference in price.

Chris

6 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I dont remember the Dunlops at this point to be honest.... I dont find Road 5s to be especially hard. The Road 5s ride well. I just want try a different style tire to see what I get.  I say that now but I do a lot of commuting so I will probably end up with another sport touring style tire to get longevity out of the center of the tire.

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

After I picked up a nail in my stocker rear tire  and after 6000 miles I  replaced both with the Michelin PR5's. I ride everyday, rain or shine. I've had no issues whatsoever with the tires. After almost 4000 miles they still look great and ride the same. I've had Michelin PR4's and PR3's on other bikes and love the series.  I still remember the old Macadam 100X and the 89X. All great tires.  Michelin makes a superior product. 

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

15 hours ago, jdavis said:

Pirelli Angel GT's for me, came recommended by a 'far rider'friend and are great for me.

I'm looking at these now - appreciably cheaper than other options, but I wouldn't believe inferior in any way.

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, jdavis said:

Pirelli Angel GT's for me, came recommended by a 'far rider'friend and are great for me.

Would you care to share your cost, John (fitted, balanced, etc) - and where bought?   Ta.

19 hours ago, daboo said:

On my current bike, I'll probably get 12-13K out of the rear.  I'm at 11K now with about 4/32 left in the center tread area.  

I need to ride behind 1 of these folks that get 12-13K out of a rear tire. Maybe because daboo is in Seattle and it's wet and the tires/Pavement is cooler most of the year makes a difference. And here I am in Louisiana, riding in 90 degree plus days almost half my year. Our roads are mostly chip rock over tar which eats up tires too. daboo might have more asphalt roads or cement. I'm changing a rear Dunlop Roadsmart II at 2330 miles because I'm not sure it will make the 1600 to 2000 mile trip I did in early April. At 2330 miles it's a little past halfway gone and getting flat across the center. I was hoping with a lighter lower HP bike I'd get better mileage out of my rears but I think my riding style just eats 'em up. My friends and I call it Spirited Riding. Usually nothing over 100, that's the cut-off. Mostly twisty roads with 25 up to 45 MPH curves that you can almost double the MPH sign for that corner.  Just having fun and using about 3/4s of your skill so you always have that extra if you need it. I didn't think at first it was the riding style. I had a ZX11 Ninja and a ZRX1100 with ZX11 Cams my nephew put in for me. Both those bikes got 2,800 to 3,200 miles. 3,200 miles was cord hanging out. Well come to think of it I am getting better mileage! I hope to get 4,000 out a rear tire now. I was also thinking of the new Michelin 5s. Would be nice to find a tire that gets me 5 to 6 thousand miles, that's a riding season for me. Have to look into Angel GTs too. Keep up the replies folks!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

2 hours ago, jdavis said:

Bought at Two Wheel Tyres @ Blacksoil. Bout 450 I think.

They have moved - now at North Tivoli... Thanks.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I'm looking at these now - appreciably cheaper than other options, but I wouldn't believe inferior in any way.

The Angel GT's are FANTASTIC tires, I have worn out many sets on different bikes.  The only reason I switched from Pirelli to my current Bridgestones is cost. 

With a mixture of longer road trips and aggressive sporty riding, I average about 9,000 miles from a set of GT's, if you ride more conservatively then expect quite a bit more mileage. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***