MICHELIN ROAD 5 tyres

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Tracerracer said:

there is already Angel GT II for sale in europe, improved in wet(grip,handling), cold, softer damping and it really looks sexy, imho. i am rolling the dice between Road5 and the new Angel GT II 

You like the looks of the new GT II?  I think they ruined the looks, especially the front. Oh well, it’s just a tire. 

• Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I switched my stock tires to PR5's and I really like them a lot. I commute during the week, and ride for fun in the mountains on weekends when the weather is warmer. I do think the freeway flattens the tires when commuting, and I have to remember to get out and ride around in a circles every once in a while to knock them down. But I have no complaints about the tires. Grip is good, great wet weather traction, and you can really feel them grip the road. Thy typically run about $500 for the pair.

Michelin Road 5 = AUD$495 fitted.   Pirelli Angel GT = $AUD395 fitted.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I switched my stock tires to PR5's and I really like them a lot...

Thy typically run about $500 for the pair.

😲  Just... NO

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have about 3000 miles on a Road 5 front. I still have a PR4 rear. I'll switch to a Road 5 rear when the current one is done.

The Road 5 has performed well through the Pacific Northwest winter. I've had it slip a couple of times, but always while cornering on dirty or wet/cold surfaces. It'll slide a little but then quickly regains grip. Road feel is good and confidence inspiring. 

I've run 2 sets of Pilot Road 2's on my prior bike. The performance and mileage from them was outstanding for what they are a sport touring tire.   I guess Michelin is trying to wring more profit out of the PR2 brand getting a little more expensive with each new release.  I also think the Angel GT are also a really great tire, I would get them again. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/18/2019 at 3:31 AM, wordsmith said:

It seems that these ROAD 5s have replaced the earlier Pilot Road (PR) 4s in Michelin's line-up.   Pity, as I like the PRs very much.

Anybody here with experience of the ROAD 5s, and if so care to share observations?   Thank you...

Hey there @wordsmith.  I’m about 2,500 miles into a set of the Michelin Road 5 tires, and have been very happy with them so far.  They replaced a set of Pilot Road 4s that I had on the FJ previously, and seem to be a nice evolution of the PR family.  It’s interesting that they dropped the Pilot designation with this iteration... I had been calling them PR5s until I realized the name change.  

They grip very well for a tire with a long-ish tread life, and I’ve always been a fan of Michelin’s edge traction characteristics...  the steering is neutral from straight up to full lean, and they give plenty of warning when you’re approaching the limits of adhesion.  Although it’s not such a big factor in a street tire, my experience with the 5s is that the break-away is gentle, and the overall traction feedback is outstanding.   I got 6,700 miles out of the PR4s, and expect about the same (or maybe a bit more) from the 5s.  For reference, the stock Dunlop D222s made it 4,800 miles.  

Full disclosure:  I’ve been a ‘Michelin guy’ for decades, and almost my entire road racing career was on Michelins (both slicks & DOTs), chasing BibBucks tire contingency money.  So I clearly have a predisposition to go with the Michelin tires on my FJ until I find a reason not to continue with them.   

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, betoney said:

I average about 9,000 miles from a set of GT's, if you ride more conservatively then expect quite a bit more mileage. 

All I can say is it must be the surface of your roads and the coolness of the area, rainy cool streets.  9,000 miles out of a set. Is that 1 rear gets 9,000 miles?

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, tktplz said:

All I can say is it must be the surface of your roads and the coolness of the area, rainy cool streets.  9,000 miles out of a set. Is that 1 rear gets 9,000 miles?

Yes, I always replace them as a set.  I got the same mileage out of the original Pilot Roads and PR2's.  Currently using the Bridgestone S21 sport tires so will get significantly less miles.

The tires are ridden on different pavement conditions, temperatures and locations, not just the typical wet Pacific Northwest. 

• Premium Member

Some data points on tire wear:

My original D222 rear lasted just 5500 miles of relatively mellow riding.

I replaced it with a PR4, which was flat spotted and toast at 7500 miles. I blame a trip to eastern Oregon and Nevada where I did a lot of high speed riding.

My current PR4 rear is at 9000 miles and is still round with some tread. I'll probably replace it in the next 500-1000 miles. 90% of the riding on this tire has been at 65mph or less. 

I have 3300 miles on a Road 5 front. Obviously I don't replace them in sets, I replace tires individually when they're worn.

• Premium Member

I got 22,000 kms out of a set of Angel GTs and enjoyed them very much - much more sticky than the stock Dunlops and wore really predictably.

Currently have about 17,000 kms on a set of Road 5s and still have a room on the wear bars for several more laps, methinks. The Road 5s were noticeably stickier than the GTs right off the bat but seemed to lose some of that for me around the 10K mark. Still better than the stockers but I don't take it right to the edge any more.

Not sure which ones I'll go with next - probably depends on relative price - but they're both great value for performance/wear, in my books.

Good luck with your decision, @wordsmith!

I have 3,000 miles on my rear PR5 and still no hint of a flat spot as with the oem tires.  Getting 10,000 miles from a rear tire would be very nice... just over 6k on the bike w/oem front and it still looks good but definitely wearing.

• Thumbsup 1

I have been riding  Road Angels on my CBF1000 for about 8 years, found them very hard wearing and good in the dry but wet weather is not so good., They tended to skip n slide a bit, the back would quite often breakaway under load. Switched over to Road 5 and what a difference, the Road 5's are alot softer but give alot more feedback on the front and back and dry handling is great.

So when I got my new Tracer GT a month back, the first thing I did was to put on Road 5's, I have no reservations and think the 5s are a far superior tyre compared to the Angels.

The 5's being softer, mileage will suffer, I could get 10k miles aout of a set of Angels, but only get about 7-8k out of the 5's

When I roll the GT across the garage floor you can hear the 5's gripping to the surface 🙂

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, nbells said:

When I roll the GT across the garage floor you can hear the 5's gripping to the surface 🙂

😎

Vacuum Cup Tires.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Those Pennsylvania Vacuum Cup tires (tyres) look as if they're made of left-over octopus arms and legs!   I'd love to be able to read the copy in that ad!!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.