MICHELIN ROAD 5 tyres

On 4/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, betoney said:

I average about 9,000 miles from a set of GT's, if you ride more conservatively then expect quite a bit more mileage. 

OK, betoney, I just ordered a 180 Angel GT for the rear. On your saying you're getting 9,000 miles out of a rear. I can tell by your riding style it's close to mine. So if I can get 6,000 miles out of a rear that's a riding season for me. @ 164 bucks to my door, I'm in. And that meaning it should be at my place by the end of this week. I was just using el-cheapo Conti_Motion rears for 98 bucks and hoping to get 3,500 to 4,000 miles from them till I needed a new front then start with a fresh set but thought about it and I'll start trying out high mileage sport tour tires to see how they do. My tire changer guy went up to 45 bucks a tire to mount and balance. I see a Gen-Mar tire changer in my future. So the Angel GT is my first choice on your referral there, betoney. PLUS I had 20 bucks in Revzilla CASH!!!!! Down to 144 bucks.....

Just to let you know there was a lot of back and forth between the PR 5 and the Anget GT. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

@tktplz -  You can’t go wrong with the Angel GT, it is a fantastic tire and if you can get it on sale it’s even better!

When I say that I got 9000 miles out of the rear, that is with the metal bands starting to show through the center.   In your case 6000 miles should easily be attainable. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Question -- I thought that the Angel "GT" was designed for heavy touring bikes, like my old ST 1300. I ran em and loved em on that bike. But...

Does the 465 pound  FJ "require" the GT version of this tire?

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

17 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Question -- I thought that the Angel "GT" was designed for heavy touring bikes, like my old ST 1300. I ran em and loved em on that bike. But...

cb

In a size 180, they have a heavy duty carcass and a regular carcass. The heavy-duty carcass is about 20 bucks more. 

The heavy duty is called A-Spec and is a 2 ply carcass

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

cb

The “Angel GT” is the actual name of the tire, and like @tktplz mentioned, it comes in 2 ratings, the A-spec is for the larger FJR-type bikes.  

Bridgestone actually calls their heavier duty tire a GT version.  They have a Battlax T31 and a BattlaxT31 GT. 

Edited by betoney

I didn't read where anyone had ridden their Road 5's to the cords or even a measured take off.  My Road 5's are at 3/4-1 mm and I now have 9,014 miles.  They will come off next week for a 4K ride to AZ and I will be installing Road 5's again.  At 5.8 mm when new, and .8 left, I would assume they could go another 1200-1400 miles.  That would make them go about 10,400 miles for me.  The ones I took off for these were PR-2's and I got 10,440 miles out of them. For summer riding, you really can't beat the PR-2's for the price.

• Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, kmev said:

That's terrible. I got more than that on my OEM Dunlop. 

How you ride makes a huge difference. I burnt through my first PR4 in about 7500 miles, but that included about 1000 miles of elevated speed in eastern Oregon and Nevada. My second PR4 - same exact tire - lasted 10k miles and it still wasn't quite to the wear bars, but I barely topped 80mph the whole time. 

I just replaced my PR4 with a Road 5 and don't have enough miles yet to really judge it, but so far so good.

Pressures as well make a huge difference for me. After that and style, road composition, ambient temps, etc. At 42 psi cold about the only way I'd get  more than 5500 from a PR4 rear would be strictly freeway commuting which for me means 35-75 mph and far less acceleration/braking/heat cycles than my typical pleasure ride. 

Edited by chitown

I don't know how you guys get that mileage out of a tire. I hoped the lighter weight and lower power of this bike, compared to my Versys 100 and Tiger 1050, would translate to longer tire life. It doesn't appear to be happening. I got 3,100  miles out of the original Dunlap rear and an amazing 1,600 out of a Shinko  005. The front Dunlap was toast at the same time as the Shinko. I'm trying a pair of Bridgstone T31's now. We'll see how these work.

The best mileage I ever got out of a sport touring rear was from a Dunlap Roadsmart II that I babied to stretch the mileage and reached 4,500 miles.

I'm no Ricky Racer. I am 68 years old and weigh 250 lbs. I don't commute and spend as little time as possible on the main highways. By the way I am having plenty of fun, even at my elevated weight, with the stock suspension.

Here are a couple of pics of the original front and the Shinko rear.

20190617_121756.jpg

20190617_152552.jpg

On 4/19/2019 at 2:58 PM, Tracerracer said:

there is already Angel GT II for sale in europe, improved in wet(grip,handling), cold, softer damping and it really looks sexy, imho. i am rolling the dice between Road5 and the new Angel GT II 

me too...nothing but great reviews for both.

Mike, my tires look exactly the opposite of yours even though I get almost the same mileage as you. I have plenty of tread left in the center and the sides are slicks. We should work out an exchange program!

Least mileage I’ve had out of a (front) tire was 1700. Most I’ve had out of either was 4500. For me, dual compound fronts are the worst. I live in twisty land and with a hard center and soft shoulders, the handling gets very scary near the end of the tire’s life. They get so badly triangulated. PR4 - 4K, Conti road attack - 4K, Bridgestone T31 - 4.5k (love that tire), Dunlop RS II AND III - 4K. 12 sets of tires on this bike and all just about the same for mileage. Even tried a Shinko and guess what? 4K  

BTW, it cracks me up when people say “got 15k out of these skins and they have phenomenal grip”. That rider has no idea about grip cuz they never tried any! 

I’m great with how the next guy rides but if your worried about longevity above all don’t ask which tire has the best grip or handles he best cuz that information is irrelevant to you. If you get 15k out of your tires, don’t offer grip and handling information. I personally won’t tell you which to buy based on mileage cuz I HAVE NO STINKING IDEA how to get a tire to last more than 4K miles. 

Also red, tire wear is not linear. The last mm does not wear the same as the first mm. I’ve always found that it unrolls like a roll of toilet paper towards the end. 

At the end of the day, since I buy so many tires, I scour the interweb for deals and don’t worry much about brand names. I do like some better than others, not even a tire I don’t like much, I’ll be replacing them in a couple of months. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, crempel said:

At the end of the day, since I buy so many tires, I scour the interweb for deals and don’t worry much about brand names. I do like some better than others, not even a tire I don’t like much, I’ll be replacing them in a couple of months. 

Bridgestone currently has a $50 Rebate per set on the Battlax S22.  I have gone through 3 sets of the predecessor - Battlax S21 - AWESOME sport tire!