MICHELIN ROAD 5 tyres

I’ve owned erred for people like me if a sport tire might not go as long or almost as long as a sport touring tire and have better grip. Maybe they can handle the heat that SPORT riding generates better?

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, crempel said:

How many miles did you get vs other tires you’ve run?

I normally use either Pirelli Angle GT or the Battlax S21.  Angle GT's last me about 8-9,000 miles of mixed highway and sport riding, the S21's about 5,500-6,000 miles. 

It sounds like tires don't last all that long for you and your riding style, so take my mileage with a grain of salt.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, betoney said:

The Angel GT's are FANTASTIC tires, I have worn out many sets on different bikes.  The only reason I switched from Pirelli to my current Bridgestones is cost. 

With a mixture of longer road trips and aggressive sporty riding, I average about 9,000 miles from a set of GT's, if you ride more conservatively then expect quite a bit more mileage. 

OK, here I am at 3,791 miles on the rear Angel GT. Might have 500 or so miles left. The front tire almost lasted 2 rears but I think I've gotten the good out of it. Not much left. So I might get 4,500 out of the Angel GT. Best so far. I got such a good deal on Roadsmart II's I won't be trying Michelin's till I run out of those. Thanks for the tip Betoney, best mileage for the buck so far. 4,500 miles for 169 to my door.

IMG_7382.thumb.JPG.4ca475f18649c43fd212eaa7e2f7d309.JPGIMG_7384.thumb.JPG.629c21c3cf6580f41a015dff82853c0c.JPGIMG_7380.thumb.JPG.71cdd519509d382088b761aebc1404ac.JPG

• Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, tktplz said:

OK, here I am at 3,791 miles on the rear Angel GT. Might have 500 or so miles left. The front tire almost lasted 2 rears but I think I've gotten the good out of it. Not much left. So I might get 4,500 out of the Angel GT. Best so far. I got such a good deal on Roadsmart II's I won't be trying Michelin's till I run out of those. Thanks for the tip Betoney, best mileage for the buck so far. 4,500 miles for 169 to my door.

IMG_7384.thumb.JPG.629c21c3cf6580f41a015dff82853c0c.JPG

Wow, you must ride REALLY hard, at least you are having fun!!  👍

A word of warning on the Angel GT's, once the center gets to that level of wear you will see the metal bands start showing through very soon.  You can still get another ride or two out of them but keep an eye on them.

4 hours ago, betoney said:

A word of warning on the Angel GT's, once the center gets to that level of wear you will see the metal bands start showing through very soon.  You can still get another ride or two out of them but keep an eye on them.

If that's the case I'm at 3,791 miles right now so probably won't get 4,500 miles maybe call it 4,000 even. As you can see I wasn't too hard on it. The tread left along the sides isn't turned back. You can see I wasn't dogging it out of the corners. Been trying to be smoother instead of sliding the tire as much. Hope to get the slipper clutch parts from Yamaha this winter. That will help allot. I have learned over the last 5 years or so getting from 55 to 60 that it's my riding style that is so hard on the tires. Trying to change but at this age it's a bit mute I think, LOL! But hey I will try to adapt. I Must Assimilate, Resistance is Futile, HA! I use the 2nd trip meter for the tire mileage gauge at this point. Used it for the oil change till I started trying out different tires. 

Betoney, still not happy with the engine breaking on 2nd gear. I'm getting used to 3rd and 4th but 2nd it still acts like a carburated bike that is lean. You know how a carburatored bike hangs high on the idle when you rev it up? When you get the bike up past 7,000 rpms or so it doesn't have much engine braking to be on and off the throttle without brakes at all. I'm putting on a chain this winter. If I go up 2 teeth in the rear do I need to add more links than the 110 standard? Hoping the change in gearing and will help with the 2nd gear engine braking I want and using 2nd on tight 25 to 35 mph up hill tight axx curves instead of 1st. Getting the nicest X-Ring chain and good sprockets so I'm not adjusting the chain every 1,000 miles like stock stuff. Good chain = adj. once every 10 to 12,000 miles. Learned that on my 1100 Kawasaki's. I don't go that much over 100 anymore so I don't think I'll notice a difference in my top end any. I don't get close to it. I find myself running 2, 3 and 4th mostly then shift easy into 5th and 6th out on a straight and putt around 75 mph. my standard speed. I just seem to go 75. Don't know why but when I look down and I'm just droning along it's 75 or so mph. Anyway, chain length 110 OK?

IMG_7385.thumb.JPG.d189e5e8fe202ac765a2e8029a7e5430.JPG

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

@tktplz - If you go +2 teeth on the rear then go +2 links on the chain.  I LOVE the +2 rear gearing and when I change the chain, I get a 112 link. 

FWIW, - Just my personal opinion - I don't like a lot of engine braking, I have ridden bikes before that almost feel like you are hitting the brakes when you chop the throttle, I like a smooth, gradual deceleration when I close the throttle.  The slipper clutch swap is fairly easy and works wonders, especially in sportier riding.  If I am at around 5k rpm or below, I don't even brake coming into a corner, I just drop a gear to set corner speed and roll on the throttle through the corner, it is sublime!  Having the ECU flashed with a nice smooth transition in on/off fueling helps as well.

FWIW,  I use PR4GT on my FJR because the 5 isn’t offered in a heavier GT version yet and for that bike the GT is a must and the superior all weather performance of the PR4 make it a great choice.  On the the FJ-09 I use the Angel GT because I feel it has slightly better dry road grip and feel. The Angel GT is really good in the wet it’s just I think the PR4 is a little better.  If that helps anyone make a decision.  Remember you’re not marrying a set of tires, if you don’t love them try something different for the next set. 

For what it's worth (I'm here as I'm strongly considering upgrading to a Tracer 900 GT) - i run Michelin Pilot Road 5's, and get roughly 15,000kms per pair taking me down to the wear indicators in the treads.  On the second set on my MT07, and that's with very aggressive riding, year round, rain/shine/frozen wasteland (Calgary, Alberta), with (in better weather) week long jaunts.  

Typically both font and rear need replacing at the same time.  

I've used a lot of different tires over the years, but nothing has come close to the performance and durability of the Road 5's in wet weather, ice, and snow - particularly while also being pretty damn good in nice summer canyon carving.  If you ride in inclement weather, I honestly believe you simply can't do better.

If your a fair weather sort, there's probably a superior option, but IMHO if you ride in poor weather, it's best to optimize tires for that.  

Only drawback I've seen, and it's in the Road 5's but not the PR4's, is that the front can feel a bit.... Bumpy?  in REALLY aggressive cornering (peg scraping lean).  Still gets excellent traction, though, no feelings of vagueness or slip.  

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Update: I have about 3500 miles on my Road 5 rear (front is at about 7000) and I'm super impressed with the wet performance. I got caught in a very heavy deluge of rain and hail a couple of weeks ago in the Oregon coastal range, and traction was great. It was a mountain highway with sweepers, and cars were slowing down to 50-55 mph due to the heavy rainfall. Despite standing water on the road, I had no problem passing them at ~55-60 mph when a passing lane opened up. Road feel remained good and the TC light never lit up.

I'm probably not a fast enough rider to properly evaluate the Road 5 dry performance, except to say that I have no complaints. But as a year-round rider in Oregon I've spent plenty of time on cool, wet roads, and the Road 5s are easily the best rain tire I've ever run. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I love my PR5's and when I need new tires this spring, I'll get another pair. They wear well, and handle wonderfully. Especially in the Pacific Northwest rain.....

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1