Stock windshield fixed!

superfist

• Premium Member

So, I did 3 things to fix the stock windshield that fixed buffeting issues for me.   There are a few small bubbles in the windshield now from overheating with the heat gun, but I'm happy with the result.   I'll be adding a tint layer to it to finish the alteration.

1.) I didn't get pictures of this.  The track that allows the windshield support to move up and down has 4 plastic washers that keep it in a tight line along the track.  I removed them, raised the bracket all the way up and gave it as sharp an angle as I could, then tightened the adjusters.  This gave it a little bit of angle.  The adjusters are holding tight with no sign of wiggle or loosening.

2.) The black plastic plate that's under the windshield received two stacks of 5 washers beneath the bottom two bolts.  This gave it a little more angle.

20190418_182900_HDR.thumb.jpg.0330b8fe20d736e811b2b202685262a4.jpg

3.) I used a heat gun to gently heat the windshield and then bent it back.   I like the steeper angle and it also allows air to hit right across the top of my shoulders with NO buffeting.

20190418_182239_HDR.thumb.jpg.45b3677246c985d976b8e8c10e3fd9a8.jpg

And I found the fix JUST in time for summer where I'll probably remove it again until the winter months roll around and I want actual protection.   I figure this should also be nice on the longer trips when I ride to neighboring states.

• Thumbsup 1

Interesting.  

Last summer I spent about three days testing and tuning different heights and angles using the stock screen. Using the stock mountings and the mount from my Givi touring screen. In the end I found an angle very similar to what you ended up with. Although mine was sticking way up in the air on the Givi mount.  

I think I'll play around with it some more in a little while. I'm also thinking of picking up one of those cheapie knock off double bubbles to play around with as well.

I like how yours stays closer to the headlight bodywork.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, nicksta43 said:

Interesting.  

Last summer I spent about three days testing and tuning different heights and angles using the stock screen. Using the stock mountings and the mount from my Givi touring screen. In the end I found an angle very similar to what you ended up with. Although mine was sticking way up in the air on the Givi mount.  

I think I'll play around with it some more in a little while. I'm also thinking of picking up one of those cheapie knock off double bubbles to play around with as well.

I like how yours stays closer to the headlight bodywork.

Thanks!  I really wanted to get the mount angle to match the sweep of the headlights, and it didn't quite get there.  Aside from the buffeting, my issue with the stock windshield was the way it sticks almost straight up.  I wanted a sportier look and curve to it.  I might still try a sport shorty screen at some point down the road.