Best way to commute with a laptop

vince82

I currently use a 20L Kriega tailbag to shuffle my stuff (laptop, gym clothes, lunch) but I am not a big fan of it.. a bit of a hassle to strap on every time and I cannot leave it on the bike (although here in Canada it won't disappear immediately, it eventually might).

I looked into side bags but there is no way I can get a suitable side case within a reasonable budget.

I also already have the Yamaha OEM rack on my Tracer 900, I guess I could get the OEM top case. I might not like the look but it has its perks.. No extra width for traffic, and should be big enough...
Do I go 39L, is it enough, or 50? Does the 39L fit a 15 inch macbook with its carry bag?

Edited by vince82
typos

• Premium Member

If you are just commuting to work or riding short trips, try using the shoulder strap and wearing the US-20  courier bag style.  It evenly distributes a reasonable amount of weight across the shoulders and back.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member

A couple of options.

The dry bag - backpack looks like it will hold a full size laptop. And it's a drybag. 🙂

oxford_aqua_v20_back_pack.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Be visible in inclement weather and transport your stuff in waterproof bliss with the Aqua V 20 Back Pack.

I used this tail bag for a number of years. It's still seeing duty on my son's Honda Nighthawk.

I'm not a fan of topboxes, but I like tail bags. Weird huh.😳

It will expand to hold a laptop in a padded sleeve. I know this for a fact having done it. I "permanently" attached it to my luggage rack using a 1/4-20 stainless steel sidwwalk bolt - nylock nut  and thin piece of "starboard" as a backing plate.

Not for everybody I know. But it was pretty damn useful.

The other thing to consider is a "pelican" case mounted on the rack 1500 or 1550 series would be about right.

YMMV

cortech_super20_tail_bag_black.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Super 2.0 Tailbag features ballistic polyester construction, a quick release mounting system and an easy access top loading main...

$_62.JPG?set_id=8800005007
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find great deals for 1550 protector case. Shop with confidence on eBay!

Edited by fddriver2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I wouldn't look at how many liters a top case will give you, but just the dimensions.  Most advertisements will give you the dimensions (LxWxH).  Sometimes they'll give you both the exterior and interior dimensions.  Just compare that to the dimensions of your laptop bag and you'll know it'll fit.

I've only carried a backpack a couple times.  I like the freedom of not having the additional weight on my back and the extra cooling you get when not having something on your back in the summer.  So for me, I prefer both a top case and side cases.  My right side case has all my spare clothes and some extras like a spare light bulb.  The left case is open then for when I stop at the store on the way home.  Same with the top case.   I don't like the idea of commuting on my bike, and then stopping home to pick up the car to buy some milk and eggs.

I'm using a Givi 460E Monokey.  It's big enough to be useful, and not so big it dwarfs my bike.

Chris

Backpack for motor riders is more efficient for those who have laptops. It should be waterproof and highly durable. I got mine with no brand that I brought from a Chinese store but it kept my laptop safely and allow me to drive with more convenience. I'm planning to change it soon since I need a bigger space. the Oxford backpack seems nice.

Don't know about the Yamaha case. Dimensions won't tell you the entire story because of the curvature of many luggage cases. Looks like it would need to be angled at a minimum. Can say a Givi E460 (46L) holds a laptop backpack designed for up to a 17" and a few other items nicely. Been using it for 10+ years on various bikes and now on the FJ. Locking, waterproof, storage on the bike is a must for me when commuting.

• Thumbsup 1

Hey I use the Yamaha 50L top case to commute to work. 

I pack my laptop and lunch into a laptop bag and put the whole thing in the 50L case. When I get to work I leave the case on the bike and just carry in my laptop bag. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, fURYOS said:

Hey I use the Yamaha 50L top case to commute to work. 

I pack my laptop and lunch into a laptop bag and put the whole thing in the 50L case. When I get to work I leave the case on the bike and just carry in my laptop bag. 

Pretty much this but mine is the givi 47L hard case, tech edition.  my laptop back(filled with laptop, shoes, cables, etc, and my lunch will fit in that thing.  I rarely take that off my bike.

I also prefer tail bags to top boxes and there are lots of options that will fit a laptop.  I’m currently using item below.  However, I’ve always found the included straps and clips to be cumbersome and time consuming.  I’ve modified all of my bags with some bungee/shock cord material and a suitable place to stretch and hook it too.  Lots of places on the FJ to do this.

swmotech_jetpack_tail_bag.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

From tail bag to backpack and then back again, the Jetpack Tail Bag is great for adventures on and off the bike.

42E7152C-2BB0-430B-9773-EE557BBA79CB.jpeg

Here is my setup.  I can carry my laptop and safely store helmets and jacket when parked.  No risk of rain/water getting in. Yamaha 50L rear case and rear rack.  Works great for getting groceries too!  It was easy to re-core/key and match it up with the ignition key.  When you want it off, it slides right off and hangs on the wall in the shop.  Very slick design. Pics show with and without cases. I use the soft saddlebags if I need more storage on a weekend trip.  They are great alone too if you need a smaller amount of storage for a day trip.

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2845 (2).JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

I would stick with the Kriega. I use mine for work commutes and it takes seconds to unclip (just leave the straps attached to the bike). 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, vince82 said:

I currently use a 20L Kriega tailbag to shuffle my stuff (laptop, gym clothes, lunch) but I am not a big fan of it.. a bit of a hassle to strap on every time and I cannot leave it on the bike (although here in Canada it won't disappear immediately, it eventually might).

I looked into side bags but there is no way I can get a suitable side case within a reasonable budget.

I also already have the Yamaha OEM rack on my Tracer 900, I guess I could get the OEM top case. I might not like the look but it has its perks.. No extra width for traffic, and should be big enough...
Do I go 39L, is it enough, or 50? Does the 39L fit a 15 inch macbook with its carry bag?

Be advised the 39 liter does not have a flat bottom inside.  The lock mechanism requires a 4x4x3/4 area