Has anyone lowered their handlebars?

jeff400650

• Premium Member

I would like a little more of a sporty riding position, and hopefully better cornering feel. What bars out there have little or no rise to them? Or are there alternative risers that are lower than the stock ones?

Thanks.

Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• Supporting Member

Hi @jeff400650 - Several of us have pursued this same goal, and the consensus seems to be that the Rizoma MA006 handlebar is a good choice for a slightly more sporting riding position.  

If you haven’t already done so, rotate the factory risers 180 degrees to move the stock bar forward, and (assuming you’re tall enough) set the seat to the tall position.   It isn’t a massive change, but definitely slants the ergonomics more to the sporting side.  

This thread has some more details, including thoughts about throwing the factory handguards in the trash...  :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I also see the Rizoma MA015 "drag" bars that have no rise to them. I wonder if that would be too extreme. I am 6'3" and already moved the bars forward, and raised the seat. I always kinda liked the hand guards, but now I am thinking they look silly, and don't really do anything. 

I am comfortable on the bike, but there is something about the cornering that feels just a little vague, hard to describe. I think a lower bars would help.

rizoma_drag_bar.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, jeff400650 said:

Thanks for the info. I also see the Rizoma MA015 "drag" bars that have no rise to them. I wonder if that would be too extreme. I am 6'3" and already moved the bars forward, and raised the seat. I always kinda liked the hand guards, but now I am thinking they look silly, and don't really do anything. 

I am comfortable on the bike, but there is something about the cornering that feels just a little vague, hard to describe. I think a lower bars would help.

rizoma_drag_bar.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Before going to a flat drag bar, check your clearance with the bars at full lock left and right to see how close they are to the tank.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, betoney said:

Before going to a flat drag bar, check your clearance with the bars at full lock left and right to see how close they are to the tank.

Exactly.   There isn’t much wiggle room in going with lower bars, @jeff400650.  At full steering lock, the bars & control housings come very close to the trim around the tank opening...  best case there is maybe an inch to be gained.  

• Premium Member

What about just getting 1 inch shorter risers? Are they pretty universal, easy to get for this bike? It seems like the easiest way to get the result.

rizoma_handlebar_adapter_black.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Get the shiny bits your heart desires and the extra height your back requires.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Exactly.   There isn’t much wiggle room in going with lower bars, @jeff400650.  At full steering lock, the bars & control housings come very close to the trim around the tank opening...  best case there is maybe an inch to be gained.  

Good point. From my measurements, it looks like the 60mm risers above would be just barely tall enough to clear the tank trim. The stock risers are 95mm. If they are a little low, I could add a washer or 2 under them.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, nicksta43 said:

Maybe check out what @superfist did. 

Looks to be about as close as I'd want to go with the bars.

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/200-what-did-you-do-to-your-fj-tracer-gt-today/?do=findComment&comment=85487

From my measurements, there isn't a lot of room to go straight down.  moving them forward also follows the lower portion of the body fairing angle.  With the Rox risers, I can also pivot up a little higher if I wanted to and the brake reservoir hard piece basically follows the angle of the instrument cluster.

There's a lot of room for adjustment, but I put them as far forward and as far down as possible.

Now I want more sweep, so I may try new bars in the future.  I'm just anxious about trying to remove and reapply those expensive Yamaha grip warmers without damaging them (I used aquanet hair spray to slide them on... and I think they're pretty well glued by now).

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I actually have a pair of these sitting around from my dirt bike days. I used them to raise the bars, but they could work for lowering too. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try. 

8 minutes ago, jeff400650 said:

While I'm thinking of it, Is there a recall relating to the bars/risers? I never had that done. What is the issue?

You would have gotten a letter in the mail if your bike was effected... The studs didn't have loctite applied when pressed in, that was the problem...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

@texscottyd I got the 2" Rox Risers with extended pivot from Revzilla.  I got the extended pivot because it said the longer pivot piece was necessary for the FJ-09, but they stick out through the stock handlebar clamps.  I'm not sure it was necessary.

@jeff400650 You can also check the NHTSA website and enter your VIN.  It will let you know if there are any outstanding recalls.   I would recommend getting it done if it needs it.  I once came across an FZ-09 Rider who had the bolt for one stock riser fall out mid turn and the other was loose.  He managed not to go down.  The passenger grab rail bolt back by the tail light from the FJ-09 will fit there in a pinch, so I gave him mine so he could get home.

WWW.NHTSA.GOV

Learn about the NHTSA recall process.

• Premium Member

I'll get the recall done. 

I tried my Rox Risers. They are the 1 3/4" if I recall, and they are just too short to be of use. They can't pivot forward past the bulky stock riser casting, and the stock caps are too thick to go on over them. I am going to order the Rizoma 60mm risers and see if that works out.