Never buy chain lube again...

Interesting and entertaining!

The irony here is that Fortnine sells all those special chain lube and wax goop, and the gear oil shown is Canadian Tire brand.....

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• Premium Member

I've been using gear oil for 15 years. Specifically, I use an old bottle of BMW 80w-90 transmission oil left over from a K100RS I sold in 2000. The 1L bottle is now finally almost empty and I'm thinking about buying something else. 

I thought about using chainsaw bar oil. I assume it has about the same properties as gear oil.

• Premium Member

Years ago, long before O-ring chains were developed, my father (an Enduro rider) came up with a concoction that he used to treat his chains.  It consisted of gear oil, STP Oil treatment, powdered graphite and paraffin wax, all mixed together in an old electric roaster.  He would remove and clean his chain, then cook it at a low temp overnight.   He then brushed off the excess while still warm.

He rarely had a chain fail, a common issue back in the '70s.

I won't be going to that extreme, but I won't be buying chain lube any more either.   

• Thumbsup 1

Made the switch on Saturday. Sunday I took it for a ride. 

As expected it had slightly more sling than the wax based motorex lube I had been using. But it was world's easier to clean up. Still had an oily film on it today, but they are calling for rain so we'll see what it's like when I get home. 

I prefer applying it with a little oil can over spraying the other lube on. Easier to control where it goes and much less cleanup to do after. 

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, mellow said:

Great video... so.. if you use gear lube... how often do you apply it?

I've got two cans of lube to use up then I'm done with it. Going to use a heavy weight 80/95 gear oil after a good cleaning. Time to experiment.

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy