Never buy chain lube again...

I have always used gear oil, but it is tough to carry on long tours. So on tour, I use the motul paste which is also in the top three, but can't spill being a paste in a tube. Also, since it brushes on, it is quick and clean to apply when in a motel parking lot or camp site, and you only need to paint on a small amount. It also does not fling onto the rear wheel. 

Edited by huck
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I've been using "Honda Pro Chain Lube With White Graphite " since the bike was new.  A single can lasted about 17k miles and I'm on a second can now at 19,800 miles.

I purchased a new front/rear sprockets and a new chain at the same time I purchased that second can, but I haven't installed them yet because the original chain and sprockets still look great.  All of the X-Rings are still intact with no tight spots and the sprockets haven't started shark-finning yet.

I saw this video and I'm impressed by the simplicity of the gear oil solution, but it's hard to give up something that's been working well for me.  It says "No fling" formula, but it does fling a bit.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Luma46 said:

There is one lube they haven't tested and one that I consider best of all - the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Just Google it up... Unfortunately, there is a limited availability of it here in Canada.

Been using Dupont Chain Saver for many bikes now.  Tried heavy oils and one or two other spray lubes long ago, but finally stopped experimenting and just stuck with what's worked so well all this time.  This stuff has never let me down.  👍

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Yesterday's ride into work was the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in. Absolutely torrential rain. We had another system roll through at quitting time and my wife decided I wasn't riding home (one of her co workers was killed yesterday morning, hydroplaned into the path of an oncoming semi). 

So looking the chain over today the oil appears to be completely washed off and worryingly there appears to be rust colored stains along the sides of some of the rollers. 

Doesn't the gear oil attract more grit (4/10) than some others ?  Interesting test, but what actually wears a chain / sprocket out ? I'm guessing a gritty chain isn't going to help, or do the seals keep the grit out well enough. My mountain bike chains wore out quicker in winter, due to to the amount of crap that adhered to them. 

Edited by Tripletrouble

have been using Maxima Chain wax forever, but I do consider chains/sprockets to be used by 15k miles or so(racing is another story)...I find it best to apply a light coat after a ride then letting the bike sit for a few hours...I apply a light coat every couple weeks- then over winter I will scrape the outside links off of the wax...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

This is what my chain looked like after 128 miles and one heavy rain with the gear lube. There were several spots like that.IMG_20190425_172026115_compress_21.thumb.jpg.68a74d644f1aaa55323172a43618ee8f.jpg

I don't think that's going to work for me. 

I have a couple cans of liquid wrench chain and cable lube that I use for my bicycles and cables. Supposed to have ceramic and PTFE in it. Gonna give that a try. Goes on water thin though.  I'll probably end up going back to the Motorex until the can is gone then reevaluate. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 4/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Tripletrouble said:

Doesn't the gear oil attract more grit (4/10) than some others ?

No, quite the opposite. The main thing I noticed when I switched from commercial chain lubes to gear oil years ago was I no longer had grit and other crap stuck to the chain. And since nothing sticks to it, I also never need to "clean" the chain. I just re-apply a little oil every few hundred miles, that's it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 4/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, nicksta43 said:

This is what my chain looked like after 128 miles and one heavy rain with the gear lube. There were several spots like that.IMG_20190425_172026115_compress_21.thumb.jpg.68a74d644f1aaa55323172a43618ee8f.jpg

How did you apply the oil? I brush it on the inside surface of the chain, right where your rust appears. 

1 hour ago, keithu said:

No, quite the opposite. The main thing I noticed when I switched from commercial chain lubes to gear oil years ago was I no longer had grit and other crap stuck to the chain. And since nothing sticks to it, I also never need to "clean" the chain. I just re-apply a little oil every few hundred miles, that's it.

Ok, it only got a 4 in his test so your experience is interesting. I do think Standard wax is pretty crap though. I've been using wd40 dry lube. No fling, stays on chain even in wet and seems to attract very little grit.. Can't remember when I had to re-apply, seems to last for ages. Shame manafactures can't coat link plates a bit better to stop them rusting. Chain link plates stretch anyway, so I guess riding styles have a big impact as well. 

8 hours ago, keithu said:

How did you apply the oil? I brush it on the inside surface of the chain, right where your rust appears. 

I used an old school thumb pump style oil can. I applied oil liberally to the end plates and each side of every roller. I turned the wheel by hand several times while using my finger to roll the rollers as they went by hoping to wick the oil inside, then used a brush to spread it around while rotating the chain. It then sat for about 18 hours prior to riding it. 

Just did not perform the way I had hoped. 

However, so far the liquid wrench chain and cable lube is performing better than I had expected. 

Tests are ongoing.