Bought used bike... weird exhaust pipes?

Exandriel

Update in post 6

Bought a used 2016 FJ-09 and I don't believe the ECU is flashed (still has the 115 mph limit) so I'm gonna ship my ECU in soon to one of the companies that provide the service, but I should probably figure out exactly what I have on the back end here first. I assume its an M4 slip-on with some weird headers and link pipes. Where the mid pipe area meets the header link area its got a little wiggle to it along with where the mid pipe meets the can, tried to show that the best I can in gif 2. Where the can meets the mid pipe there a small exhaust leak as well I was just gonna throw some kind of clamp there to stop that. If anyone has any information on all this let me know.

giphy.gifgiphy.gifQo7u4Oj.jpgLDTRYWm.jpg1gAl5hE.jpg2sl1Jgq.jpg

Edited by Exandriel

• Premium Member

My WAG is like the others. It's a "Frankenstein". The headers look like Two Brothers Racing system with a M4 slip-on. 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Well I took the exhaust apart to see what was going on and after taking off the can the headers just fell out without needing the flanges taken off.

NVxGXK3.jpg

Weird gasket

giphy.gif

iv944Zq.jpg

It mounts with this thing (leftmost header has it on) fits over the pipe then the flange holds that piece to the output

mAmQOWZ.jpg

caWvZDR.jpg

Well, I guess the next question is should I go buy a new full system or is this fine to use? if its the latter do i just flash the ECU for an M4 Slip-on mapping?

Edited by Exandriel

• Supporting Member

@Exandriel  Those are the required exhaust gaskets.  Something is super sketchy with that exhaust and the method they used to mount it.  If it was me I would replace it with something made for the bike that fits correctly.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm wondering if it is even the correct model for this bike, if you look at Install videos for the FZ/MT09 the end silencer and mid pipe are one piece.

It looks to me like his header is from one company and the slip on from another. Like someone put together a franken-exhaust. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

So I put it all back together and fixed the exhaust leak and the wiggles that was happening I'm just gonna get an FTtuner and flash probably a power commander m4 slip-on tune onto it and see how it runs with that I assume ill be fine with these weird headers and mid pipe after I fixed the exhaust leak. Is there anything I should look out for after the tune that's a sure sign I oughta get a different exhaust system?

• Thumbsup 1