front turn signals

So one persistent niggle I have about this bike is the front turn signals. I don't mind the non-LED pumpkins as much as others, but I don't like how low they are and how far they stick out. They are almost as wide (30") as the handlebars (33") but significantly lower, giving another thing to worry about when passing through tight spots. I dislike it aesthetically, it's been pointed out they'd break right off in an over, and I find them awkward sneaking my bike around the rear end of my car in the garage. Unfortunately I scratched the car with these a few times before I really got the hang of it; it is still a slow awkward creep into the garage. Never an issue with my prior (smaller) bike.

Too illustrate, I did a quick and dirty photoshop job sourced from here. I prefer the modified look.

I am not likely try something like that, but I was wondering if anyone tried a flush mount signals like these at Revzilla (but maybe DOT compliant?) and had it work out well, aesthetically and visibly. Something that sticks out less.

T900GT.jpg

T900GT - move the turn signals.jpg

• Supporting Member

Interesting, and something I hadn’t noticed previously, but it appears the signals on the Tracer GT are mounted significantly lower than they were on the gen-1 FJ... now at the ‘fattest’ part of the GT.   

I wonder what the rationale was behind that design decision?  

• Premium Member

I got the Moto Dynamic flush mounts.  I got them because they had a three wire setup for running lights, which I ended up hating and disabling.   The problem is that it uses half the LED's for running lights and the other half for blinker functions.  The running lights do NOT turn off when the blinker goes off, so there isn't a lot of light contrast.  I soldered both wires and now it uses all of the LEDs for blinker and I don't have running lights at the moment.

If you want bright, check out the Proton 500 lights.  I might try those next.

Here are pictures of the Moto Dynamic flush mounts:

ItOQwBg.thumb.jpg.a74c079d2e73de22a3dcbecb4eea4de8.jpg

6ULH4t4.thumb.jpg.d6156433a854f82bd2ceed2ff51a7926.jpg

On 4/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, superfist said:

I got the Moto Dynamic flush mounts.  I got them because they had a three wire setup for running lights, which I ended up hating and disabling.   The problem is that it uses half the LED's for running lights and the other half for blinker functions.  The running lights do NOT turn off when the blinker goes off, so there isn't a lot of light contrast.  I soldered both wires and now it uses all of the LEDs for blinker and I don't have running lights at the moment.

If you want bright, check out the Proton 500 lights.  I might try those next.

Here are pictures of the Moto Dynamic flush mounts:

ItOQwBg.thumb.jpg.a74c079d2e73de22a3dcbecb4eea4de8.jpg

6ULH4t4.thumb.jpg.d6156433a854f82bd2ceed2ff51a7926.jpg

I’m pretty sure those are the lights I removed from my bike after I bought it. I replaced them with Protons front and rear, which is the exact opposite of what @betoney did. I am really happy with the results. Too bad they are so expensive.

The Moto Dynamics were way too dim. They are more cosmetic than functional in my opinion. 

• Thumbsup 2
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• Supporting Member

I also had the Moto Dynamics and found them way too dim as well, they lasted about 3 rides and now sit in a drawer in my work bench.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I have the X-Arc signals front and back on my GT.  All the people I ride with are very impressed with how bright they are. 

• Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

My Protons are incredibly bright, and you can change the blink pattern with nothing more than a magnet. Of course I’m boring and just run the plain flash. Some of the patters can be a little seizure inducing. 

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

12 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I have the X-Arc signals front and back on my GT.  All the people I ride with are very impressed with how bright they are. 

Is the wiring straight forward and simple plug and play with the Proton products?  I'm interested in the Proton 500 LED Flush Mounts but I don't want to have to insert a relay if I can avoid it.  Thanks in advance.

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, daboys19 said:

Is the wiring straight forward and simple plug and play with the Proton products?  I'm interested in the Proton 500 LED Flush Mounts but I don't want to have to insert a relay if I can avoid it.  Thanks in advance.

Changing from standard bulbs to LED indicators usually requires installing a relay to control the increased flash rate.  It takes a few seconds to install.  TST Flasher Relay

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

13 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

@RoadRash83, any chance of a photo of how the x-arcs look on the GT front and rear.  If you have already posted in another area, apologies.  Had a quick look in the other turn signal posts and could not see anything.

Thanks for the link to x-arc - their comparison is something a bit more scientific / controlled and really gives an appreciation for how bright they are.

Thanks,

Vince

• Premium Member
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, daboys19 said:

The flasher relay is the easiest bit if you replace it.  Unplug the old and plug in the new.   I think you're referring to resistors, which you generally need for LED blinkers to keep the flash rate normal.   You don't need to wire resistors into the wiring if you replace the flasher =)

You can also get OEM connectors at the link below.  This will allow you to wire the connectors to the Proton 500 signals, then it's true plug and play on the stock wiring side so you don't have to cut or splice any wires on the motorcycle side.

logo.png?2902
WWW.CUSTOMLED.COM

These OEM turn signal and Y-Splitter connectors for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Ducati motorcycles allow you to maintain plug-in...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I've got some thinking to do.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, texscottyd said:

Interesting, and something I hadn’t noticed previously, but it appears the signals on the Tracer GT are mounted significantly lower than they were on the gen-1 FJ... now at the ‘fattest’ part of the GT.   

I wonder what the rationale was behind that design decision?  

You know, I had never realized this specifically was a change. But I've always thought the FJ-09 looked better than than the new T900, without really comparing side by side to figure out why. Now that you point it out I realize this is part of why. The fairing and signals of the FJ-09 look better to me.

I also wonder what the motivation was, although a comment here: "new fairing panels that are more aerodynamic"

Still, I wonder if an FJ-09 fairing would fit on a T900 ...

• Thumbsup 1