Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

There's not a lot to see, but here goes.

This is the overall...please excuse the messy garage.

IMG_2431.jpg

Here is the left side from the back. Still not much to see.

IMG_2424.JPG

And the left side from underneath where you can see the cable for the heated grips following the same path as the factory heated grips.

IMG_2423.JPG

Here is the right side, where you can see the cable running along side the throttle cables with some extra slack to allow the throttle to turn without putting the wires in a bind or stretch situation.

IMG_2426.JPG

And here is a shot from the front showing that more clearly.

IMG_2430.JPG

Like I said, not much to see, but at least it shows that this can be done in a relatively clean fashion. It's certainly nice to not have to wire in a separate switch or controller to control the grips.

Really there isn't anything special about this install other than getting the grips wired correctly. Everything else is about as easy as changing grips, other than the left grip being a little extra tight with the layer of heat shrink on there and I guess routing the wires, but neither of those are really that hard to do.

Duke

Edited by Duke
Adding annotation to the pictures.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

Thanks man for sharing that.

I'm definitely think that i will do it ,  as right now i have the original ones , but as time goes the outside rubber is not very good.

And to spend again for another original set i don't think so...

As for the heating issue  , is it turns to be really hot or what ?.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, ilanr1 said:

Thanks man for sharing that.

I'm definitely think that i will do it ,  as right now i have the original ones , but as time goes the outside rubber is not very good.

And to spend again for another original set i don't think so...

As for the heating issue  , is it turns to be really hot or what ?.

Thanks

I need to get some riding time in before I can give a real world evaluation of the warmth of the grips. Unfortunately, I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery right now, which is why I have time to work on my bike instead of riding it.

I can say that my initial testing seemed to show that the grips should be more than warm enough for my needs.

7 minutes ago, chitown said:

@Duke nice work and informative write up. 

One thing I'm not clear on is whether you are able to use the menu controls for low/med/high and get varying amounts of heat on the fly?  

The menus work exactly the same as they do for the OEM heated grips. You have a choice of low/med/high while riding, and you have the ability to customize each of these settings from a sub menu. I believe the sub menu is only available when the engine is not running, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

2 hours ago, Duke said:

The menus work exactly the same as they do for the OEM heated grips. You have a choice of low/med/high while riding, and you have the ability to customize each of these settings from a sub menu. I believe the sub menu is only available when the engine is not running, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Thanks. I've run the same grip heaters you linked on a half dozen bikes and this will save me drilling on something for the switch install. 

In the middle of spring maintenance as well as flipping the handlebar clamps around and narrowing the bars. Pulled the Yamaha heated grips off yesterday and was contemplating installing the set of heat demons laying in my parts pile so I can go back to the old throttle cable housing that was skinnier and worked with my throttle lock.

It's not a full range troller but so nice of Yamaha to provide a cleaner switch and a whole nuther setting for Heat Demons :)

I have feelers out to find an oscilloscope that I can use to get a clear picture of what the ECU is actually doing to regulate the heat level of the grips. I’m sure it’s pulse width modulation, but I want to see how long the duty cycle is for each of the levels to better understand how Yamaha has the ECU programmed. I have a feeling they are doing a very low duty cycle to go along with their low resistance grips. 

1 hour ago, ilanr1 said:

Please update about the heat level when you are acutely riding it.

Maybe @chitown will beat me to it. I have a feeling that he is going to be working hard to get the mods to his bike done quickly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 4:40 PM, Duke said:

Maybe @chitown will beat me to it. I have a feeling that he is going to be working hard to get the mods to his bike done quickly. 

That sounded good but was unable to get my heat demons to be recognized by the bike.

2 hours ago, Duke said:

I wonder what the resistance of each of your grips is. 

Got menu but had to stop for the evening.

For reference the heaters I'm using are Heat Demons with the same model as yours. Haven't had to deal with resistance much but assuming I'm to measure red+blue to white, 5.2 for one grip and 3.5 for the other. Wiring each grip to a factory connector got the menu. Suspect this is the the first configuration you mentioned but will test for heat before making any changes.  

If you follow my highly technical wiring diagram, you should get the same results as me.

Unfortunately I still haven’t had an opportunity to ride with my grips because I’m recovering from rotator cuff surgery. My doc told me two more weeks of PT and then I can ride. That gives me two weeks to finish all my maintenance and other work on the bike. I have a Scorpion slip-on coming. I also want to check the valves and sync the throttle bodies before getting back on the road. Should be fun.