Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

Connect the white wires from both grips to the yellow & blue wire from one of the heated grip connectors on the bike. The yellow and blue wire is the 12v positive source that is regulated by the dashboard menu  

Then connect the red wires from both grips and the blue wires from both grips to the black wire from the other heated grip connector on the bike. The black wire is the ground wire that eventually makes its way back to the negative of the battery.

At this point all necessary connections are made and your grips should work. Button things up and go for a ride to test their effectiveness. Then go home and treat yourself to a cold beverage because you are awesome and you are done!

FYI...you do NOT use the pure yellow wire in either connector. That wire is used with the factory heated grips because they are connected in series. That wire is not used for this configuration at all because the grips are connected in parallel to achieve a working, total resistance. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:10 PM, Duke said:

I just finished installing mine today. I haven’t had a chance to use them on the road yet, but they heat nicely in the garage.

I just couldn’t see spending so much on factory grips that seem to have quality and reliability problems.

If a how-to post would be helpful, I can do one. If it’s already been done, I won’t bother. 

Im moving this out of the tech tip section because its not really a tech tip. 

3 hours ago, Duke said:

Connect the white wires from both grips to the yellow & blue wire from one of the heated grip connectors on the bike. The yellow and blue wire is the 12v positive source that is regulated by the dashboard menu  

Then connect the red wires from both grips and the blue wires from both grips to the black wire from the other heated grip connector on the bike. The black wire is the ground wire that eventually makes its way back to the negative of the battery.

At this point all necessary connections are made and your grips should work. Button things up and go for a ride to test their effectiveness. Then go home and treat yourself to a cold beverage because you are awesome and you are done!

FYI...you do NOT use the pure yellow wire in either connector. That wire is used with the factory heated grips because they are connected in series. That wire is not used for this configuration at all because the grips are connected in parallel to achieve a working, total resistance. 

Ah, that will likely put me over the hump this evening, thank you. 

Also mentioned this to my buddy that is the best driver and rider I've ever followed and was designing circuits in grade school. Had to talk him down from converting a Bronco he's restoring to an EV last week. He's going to come by this weekend to help me ou... er to drink my beer, and has all the good tools and scopes and such.  

If there's anything you would like to know, or might be helpful to others, that we can measure/observe about the Yamaha grip setup before I sell them please let me know. 

I wouldn’t mind knowing the resistance of each of the factory heated grips. It would be nice to have another confirmed measurement. 

Also, if your friend has a multimeter that will measure the duty cycle of a pulse width modulated signal, it would be exceptional cool if he could measure the duty cycle with the following settings for low, medium, and high. 

Low set to 1

Medium set to 5

High set to 10

And a bonus measurement with high set to 9 to confirm my calculations for each increment from 1 through 10. 

He should be able to measure from the yellow and blue wire to the black wire with the grips connected.

if his meter won’t measure duty cycle, don’t sweat it  

Duke

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Im moving this out of the tech tip section because its not really a tech tip. 

Will it be a tech tip if I clean it up after collecting some additional data? I’d also need to come up with a thread name that’s descriptive enough for people to find. I think there is a lot of useful technical information in this thread.

I’m not complaining, I’m only asking. I really appreciate you making room for this discussion. 

Duke

9 minutes ago, Duke said:

Will it be a tech tip if I clean it up after collecting some additional data? I’d also need to come up with a thread name that’s descriptive enough for people to find. I think there is a lot of useful technical information in this thread.

I’m not complaining, I’m only asking. I really appreciate you making room for this discussion. 

Duke

Yeah, when you do just edit your first post in the thread and put it there.  Then ill put it back. Thanks!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Duke, many thanks for your write up on this. I'm about to order some oxford grips. What are the correct connectors to plug into the bikes harness?  Got a part number/ source you can share?

• Thumbsup 1

I bought my connectors off eBay. They’re the same as the ones on our blinkers. I found the information somewhere on this site. I’ll see if I can find it again. 

As for the oxfords, you’ll want to do some research. They’re different than the grip heaters I used. I believe that they only have two wires, so you can’t wire them in “double parallel” like I did. Still, you can run the two grips in parallel to reduce the overall resistance. You just might want to do some research to see what the resistance of each grip is so you can calculate the overall resistance before ordering. 

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I remembered reading about someone installing the Oxfords on a Super Tenere, but they didn’t give details of how they were wired. If I recall correctly, the resistance of each grip was around 3-3.5 ohms, so they should work if connected in parallel. Regardless, do some research and you should be fine.

Edited by Duke

Life happened so didn't get out riding to test or take measurements but I have very toasty grips in the garage. One thing wanted to pointed out before others go there... there is no yellow & blue wire to the factory connectors. Believe the places above where this is referenced need to be updated from y & b to y & r. Double check me but the service manual wiring diagram agrees. 

Also bought the barrel connectors on fleabay. Search "yamaha turn signal connector". 

Here's a link to a thread on running the Oxfords with the OEM controls. Lots of good information in there as well, including information about the correct connectors to use.

And here's a thread on Adventure Riders for the Super Tenere. More good information there that applies to us because the S10 uses the same menus and such to drive the grips.

WWW.YAMAHASUPERTENERE.COM

They are $399 MSRP. A 2 hr install by dealer. They are supposed to integrate with the menu rocker switches to operate. I bought a set but have not had them installed...

Edited by Duke

• 2 weeks later...

Have yet to take measurements... buddy is still busy traveling etc and didn't leave me his scope that will allow me to get the duty cycle PWM stuff. Will try to get that handled next week.

But, have finally wrapped up Spring maintenance and ergos mods so got out on a ride today for a few hundred miles to test. Ergos mods were -- cut down the stock bar max possible to bring hands in and add more lane splitting margin, swapped out Yamaha grips so can use preferred grips and throttle lock again, spun the handlebar clamps and installed the Tusk risers so 15 mm up and 10 mm back overall. Just fine tuning as was already pretty happy for 500 mile days. 

Ergos mods successful. Heaters worked perfectly and felt as warm as Yamaha grips at 1, 5, 10. Very happy thanks to this thread :) 

Hey Chitown,

I haven't taken measurements yet, but I will as soon as I get my hands on a capable multimeter. That might even happen later this week.

I also had a chance to ride with my grips yesterday. It was about 60 degrees and cloudy, so I didn't actually need to run the grips, but I did want to experiment with them. I'm still working out the settings for low/med/high, but I do find them to be very warm. In fact, with just leather gloves on, I had to turn them to low and then stop to adjust the low setting to keep from roasting my hands. I find that the left grip heats slowly, which is certainly due to the heating element being in nearly direct contact with the metal handlebar. Other than that, they work just fine. They will be a nice complement for my Gerbing heated gloves because the gloves are an older model with no heating element in the palms. When combined with heated grips, they work perfectly.

I'll post again once I have the duty cycle readings. Then I'll take the time to create a proper how-to post for this.

Duke

The clutch/throttle balance on mine is comparable to the factory grips. Did use the piece of clutch side heat shrink provided in the Heat Demon kit, normally will use electrical tape or similar as I did with the factory grips.  

Edited by chitown

I used the clutch side heat shrink too, but I am still surprised at how much difference there is between the two grips. It's not a huge issue, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.