Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

On 11/5/2019 at 6:34 AM, Ahmed said:

Guys, I like the effort you did to make this work. Do you think this idea can work to control Gerbing heated gloves and jacket?

I want to buy them but I am trying to find a better way for the controller. 

I’ve actually read about someone doing that very thing and it worked just fine. That’s part of how I came up with my idea. Unfortunately you would only have the same heat level for your jacket and gloves. This is why I run my grips on the factory menus. 

• Thumbsup 1
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 10/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, fj09viking said:

The model is Heat Demon 210019RR. I purchase mine on Amazon.ca, but if you just Google the model you should have plenty of options.

Would you happen to know how long each heater pad was?... was it short of the 130mm grip length or about right? Instructions say to position the pad 1/2" from the end. Asking because I am thinking of installing shorter grips (120-125mm). Thanks.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, iamthedruman said:

It's shorter than the grips. I centred mine and had approx half an inch from both ends.

Could you snap a pic showing how the cable exits the grip on the throttle side?

12 hours ago, piotrek said:

Would you happen to know how long each heater pad was?... was it short of the 130mm grip length or about right? Instructions say to position the pad 1/2" from the end. Asking because I am thinking of installing shorter grips (120-125mm). Thanks.

As per iamthedruman's comment the pads are shorter. I am sure Heat Demon would be happy to share exact measurements if you haven't contacted them directly already. I don't want to guess how much extra length/space there is. 

On the throttle side you have options. I routed mine to exit grip at about the 4 o'clock position when looking at bike from right side with lots of play to allow for throttle movement and routing along throttle cables. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, fj09viking said:

As per iamthedruman's comment the pads are shorter. I am sure Heat Demon would be happy to share exact measurements if you haven't contacted them directly already. I don't want to guess how much extra length/space there is. 

On the throttle side you have options. I routed mine to exit grip at about the 4 o'clock position when looking at bike from right side with lots of play to allow for throttle movement and routing along throttle cables. 

Thanks for responding. The Heat Demon installation video shows a guy wrapping the heating pad around the handlebar (clutch side) with some of it hanging outside a bit... looked weird, thus my query.

Do I need to be concerned about the ID size of the clutch side grip, considering the thickness of shrink tubing? Thinking to buy Pro Grip 719 (125mm) for this install. Thanks again.

21 hours ago, piotrek said:

Could you snap a pic showing how the cable exits the grip on the throttle side?

As @fj09viking said, you have some options. I will try to get some pics for you but she's under a cover sleeping the start of winter away at the moment. 😭 I think mine exits around the 4 o'clock position also (possibly 5 o'clock...)

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, iamthedruman said:

As @fj09viking said, you have some options. I will try to get some pics for you but she's under a cover sleeping the start of winter away at the moment. 😭 I think mine exits around the 4 o'clock position also (possibly 5 o'clock...)

Okay... thanks. I can figure out the 'where' part (had Oxfords before the bar change)... just wanted to see some reference photos of the finished installation, if convenient of course. Cheers.

20 hours ago, piotrek said:

Do I need to be concerned about the ID size of the clutch side grip, considering the thickness of shrink tubing? Thinking to buy Pro Grip 719 (125mm) for this install. Thanks again.

Not in my experience. Have used under grip elements on a half dozen bikes with the shrink tube or single layer of tape with various grips, including Pro Grips. Snug but fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 12:21 AM, piotrek said:

Okay... thanks. I can figure out the 'where' part (had Oxfords before the bar change)... just wanted to see some reference photos of the finished installation, if convenient of course. Cheers.

Here's a couple images of throttle-side. Sorry I couldn't get the clutch side as it's tucked against a wall. The heating elements are placed along where your palms will rest. There's plenty of wire to route the exits however you like. Clutch-side, there is a conduit pre-formed into the bottom of the switch-gear for the OEM grip heaters. I used that for my wires and it fit perfectly.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, iamthedruman said:

Here's a couple images of throttle-side. Sorry I couldn't get the clutch side as it's tucked against a wall. The heating elements are placed along where your palms will rest. There's plenty of wire to route the exits however you like. Clutch-side, there is a conduit pre-formed into the bottom of the switch-gear for the OEM grip heaters. I used that for my wires and it fit perfectly. Hope this helps

It all helps... thank you. Received the heating pads (both the same, unlabelled... and solder points exposed 🤔) and the Pro Grips 719. Fussing a bit over which adhesive to use. Used J-B Weld with the Oxfords... but might try something less permanent this time 😜.

20191206_155629.thumb.jpg.f7cb54300ece7a6985ae1b657182a099.jpg

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, piotrek said:

It all helps... thank you. Received the heating pads (both the same, unlabelled... and solder points exposed 🤔) and the Pro Grips 719. Fussing a bit over which adhesive to use. Used J-B Weld with the Oxfords... but might try something less permanent this time 😜.

Those grips are AWESOME!  If I didnt have the oem heated grips, I would use those again.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, piotrek said:

I used hairspray. Nice n' toight but still removable. 😎

• Thumbsup 1