Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, betoney said:

Those grips are AWESOME!

They feel very plush, thanks to the gel-like compound of the lighter coloured parts. It will be (almost) a shame to be slipping Grip Puppies over these.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, piotrek said:

They feel very plush, thanks to the gel-like compound of the lighter coloured parts. It will be (almost) a shame to be slipping Grip Puppies over these.

BLASPHEMY!!!  😩

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, chitown said:

A tube of Honda Grip Glue has lasted through a couple dozen grip replacements but it's just a rubber cement. 

Have two products around the house that are under consideration, one of which is something like rubber cement (weatherstripping glue)... will bond rubber, plastic etc., flexible, and rated to 200C (400F).

Edited by piotrek

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Just a suggestion, at least try them for a while with out the grip puppies.  They are very comfortable with great tactile feel, especially with thinner Summer gloves.  If you don't like them its easy enough to then install the grip puppies. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 12/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, betoney said:

Just a suggestion, at least try them for a while with out the grip puppies.  They are very comfortable with great tactile feel, especially with thinner Summer gloves.  If you don't like them its easy enough to then install the grip puppies. 

They do feel very nice... and I like the look of shorter grips.

20191217_103602.thumb.jpg.f5a4d43b17649619738813ec9dfed8c4.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, iamthedruman said:

Do you have enough slack to twist the throttle without binding? 

Absolutely... works like a charm. The cable lifts a bit when I turn the throttle. WOT is just about 1/4 turn anyway.

• 3 months later...

I've posted a video of some of the key parts of install specific to our ride.  It took about 15 minutes to do the wiring, after the first one.  I didn't even need to take off the plastic bits and my goal was to do the install as non-destructively as possible.  Something fun to do whilst being confined to the garage...

Link to the video

Heated Grip Wiring Page 1.jpg

Heated Grip Wiring Page 2.jpg

Edited by Shawn
  • Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Wanted to thank all (you know who you are) for helpful tips and pioneering work on this. The Heat Demon heaters work great. Had to tweak (lower) factory heat settings a bit to optimize for comfort. RH grip warms up quicker, but I found that the levels equalize after a short time. Used hairspray for the grips. Can't speak for how long this will last trouble free.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Really enjoying my Heat Demon mod... but do have a question. When I shut off the bike while the heated grips are active, they come right back ON the next time I start the bike (at the same/last heat level). Is this correct? I would have thought the grips would default to OFF upon re-start.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:47 PM, piotrek said:

Wanted to thank all (you know who you are) for helpful tips and pioneering work on this. The Heat Demon heaters work great. Had to tweak (lower) factory heat settings a bit to optimize for comfort. RH grip warms up quicker, but I found that the levels equalize after a short time. Used hairspray for the grips. Can't speak for how long this will last trouble free.

Interesting. Are the heat demons designed to work in parallel? I have Oxford grips which are designed to work in parallel and they barely warm up connecting to the factory connectors as the factory grips are designed to work in series.

CS

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, captainscarlet said:

Are the heat demons designed to work in parallel?

They work great wired in parallel. I was fine with the Oxford Heaterz, but managed to destroy them during removal... so decided to try the Heat Demon route. I have heat levels set  at 1, 2 and 3. Level 1 is great for OAT ~10C (with summer gloves)... and levels 2 and 3 are much warmer and should work great in cooler temps.

Some kits came with the left and right pads different. Mine were both the same part number. Kit included a heat shrink tube to install over the clutch side of the bar. Pleased thus far.

Edited by piotrek

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to find the connectors to avoid having to splice lines much. These I found on Amazon would seem to work: https://www.amazon.com/XMT-MOTO-Signal-Connectors-Adapter-1998-2012/dp/B075WSY6GD/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Turn+signal+wiring+adapter&qid=1602529124&sr=8-7

Same connector types on both ends. I wouldn't think the length mattered very much...