Sign in to follow this  
Duke

Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Ok, I have the connectors above and have wired everything according to the excellent instructions here but nothing happens. I'm just doing a dry run before attaching the grips and all, connecting the white wires together and into the grey connector. My connector above only has two wires instead of three, so I mapped which side of the connector the black wire is on in the instructions above and see it is the right side if looking from where the wires enter the fitting. On my connectors, this wire is also solid black. So I connected both white wires and placed into the fitting linked to the grey bike fitting and combined all the red and blue and fitted into the bike fitting that is black. Nothing happens. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

Solved! It turns out these connectors I got used different colored wires for the same spot on the two connectors. Black wire on one is in the spot that the black and grey wire is on for the other. Figured that out and Walla! The menu works and the grips heated. I'm so darn happy. Thank you all and I think I can now button this up. 

Edited by Salish900
Mistake
  • Thumbsup 1

so, i have been enjoying my menu driven heated grips for 3 months now following the great advice from this thread.

today the clutch one stopped working! 😞  

obviously, i need to investigate when i can get my bike into a warm garage, as its blooming cold here at the moment.

either one of my solder joints has come apart under the heat shrink, or the grip has failed. but im curious as to why the throttle grip is still working as normal. i know their wired in parallel to get the correct total resistance load. but with one down, should the other be working at all?

what are your thoughts?

Posted (edited)

@fenj66... assuming you're talking Heat Demon? I would be interested in knowing what you find that failed... hopefully not the element itself. I would have expected that the throttle side pad connections would go first because of the repeated twist motion on the cable. It is a great setup overall... couldn't believe the heat output, and had to tweak the settings way down.

You're still getting heat in one because whatever's left is still within spec to the ECU. Good luck.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

turned out it was the clutch side grip that failed, not heat demons but just a pair of cheapo uk make (R & G). i had a lonesome spare oxford heated grip lying around the garage, so fitted that and now back to normal, but not overly hot.

Posted (edited)

My bad @fenj66... thought you had the Heat Demons, and thanks for the update. So it sounds like you had R&G working on there, and now have the Oxfords working... on the bike's heated grip circuit? How did you have each of these sets wired? I had Heaterz at one point and tried to wire them to the heated grip circuit and while the grip menu came up on the dash, there was no appreciable heat.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Posted (edited)

ive got the, still working, R&G on the throttle side and the spare oxford on the clutch side now. so a mixed looking set up! lol

their wired up in parallel to the bikes own heated grip connectors down the right hand side of the front of the tank.

it works perfectly with the bikes on screen menu, but on max setting (10) i still think it could be hotter.

Edited by fenj66
  • Thumbsup 1

Just ordered up all the parts to do this on my new ride.......an EXCELLENT thread!

Thanks to all 👍

• Thumbsup 1

Are there another brand of these grips from china that works? Because, in Brazil is more difficult and expensive then buy from EUA.

Like this one: 

But there are just two wires and the Heat Demon heaters have three. So, I don't know if work as the same way =/

Thanks

On 2/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, togrilo said:

Are there another brand of these grips from china that works? Because, in Brazil is more difficult and expensive then buy from EUA.

Like this one: 

But there are just two wires and the Heat Demon heaters have three. So, I don't know if work as the same way =/

Thanks

Hey guys, just sharing information. I installed this heated grips using the factory wire and it works fine wit ECM menu. I removed the temperature selector and wired the ground and positive from each grip into the factory connectors.

• Thumbsup 1