Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

• Supporting Member

Just to close the loop, went for a quick trip today and can report the Heat Demons worked as advertised.

I was surprised at how warm/hot they get through the OEM grips plus the Grip Puppies plus my summer gloves and that was on sub menu setting 3 which I believe is (one of) the lowest PWM setting.

As others have described the clutch side felt a little less toasty than the throttle side - but I can live with it.

Never thought I'd need grip heaters and the truth is I probably really don't but it's just a nice comfort touch to finish the farkling and at a very reasonable price compared to the Yamy OEM extortion heated grips.

20220722_170944.thumb.jpg.45cc764461ab48f5e696c40c378a84f4.jpg

20220722_171543.thumb.jpg.9c0b18ddd0004c16bb82d4c9a460d843.jpg

image.png.dcbb260aa4837dbba7f45381a0601531.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:43 PM, Salish900 said:

Ok, I have the connectors above and have wired everything according to the excellent instructions here but nothing happens. I'm just doing a dry run before attaching the grips and all, connecting the white wires together and into the grey connector. My connector above only has two wires instead of three, so I mapped which side of the connector the black wire is on in the instructions above and see it is the right side if looking from where the wires enter the fitting. On my connectors, this wire is also solid black. So I connected both white wires and placed into the fitting linked to the grey bike fitting and combined all the red and blue and fitted into the bike fitting that is black. Nothing happens. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

Solved! It turns out these connectors I got used different colored wires for the same spot on the two connectors. Black wire on one is in the spot that the black and grey wire is on for the other. Figured that out and Walla! The menu works and the grips heated. I'm so darn happy. Thank you all and I think I can now button this up. 

This was my answer.  The connectors I got did not match up. Had to find where the wires were missing.  The black wires on my connectors, on the bike side,  those are empty slots. So I'm using the red wires instead of the black.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/26/2022 at 1:14 AM, dazzler24 said:

Never thought I'd need grip heaters and the truth is I probably really don't

I never realized how much I would use them until I bought them.  I was on a trip over the last few days in central Oregon, some parts are high desert.  95-98F during the day and quite chilly first thing in the morning, even mid-August. 

Very thankful that I had the heated grips as I was riding in the shady areas at elevation in the morning - game changer.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

I never realized how much I would use them until I bought them.  I was on a trip over the last few days in central Oregon, some parts are high desert.  95-98F during the day and quite chilly first thing in the morning, even mid-August. 

Very thankful that I had the heated grips as I was riding in the shady areas at elevation in the morning - game changer.

For my part of the world, I found that my Winter gloves were simply too insulating and my hands would sweat.  Not to mention that the gloves were thicker and gave me less tactile feedback.

I can just wear my Summer gloves now with the heaters on setting one (and occasionally two) which I find is plenty warm enough and comfortable for me.

Won't be needing them here soon in the upside-down part of the world. 🙃

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Mntplz said:

This was my answer.  The connectors I got did not match up. Had to find where the wires were missing.  The black wires on my connectors, on the bike side,  those are empty slots. So I'm using the red wires instead of the black.  

Yes, as you have found, it doesn't matter what colour is used as long as it lines up with the socket connectors as per the circuit diagram for your bike.

There's more than one way to skin the cat and FWIW here is how I did mine.  I did it this way to aid in fault finding down the track (if required).

20220722_170351.thumb.jpg.efb1c139215eb67477dc07917d7d8475.jpg

20220722_170458.thumb.jpg.afe2d986f6665c9f510b85c1b63473aa.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished my installation as well. I have the bike mostly apart for valves, air filter, etc... So it seemed a good time to finally do this. Thanks, all for the writeup and testing. I am waiting on valve shims, so it will be a little bit before I can test them out. The menu is activated though!

PXL_20230116_212747591.thumb.jpg.587a06d5b9e50455a59c8ab1fc6d9276.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, looking for any advice, I am trying to install oxford premium heated grips and integrate them to the oem dash controllers. I have soldered the two grips in parallel to the indicator type connectors (red wires of grips to the grey connect and the blue grip wires to the black connector) (using the black wire on both connectors) and get 3.4 ohms across the grips. However, when I plug the grips in, they don't register on the dash. Any ideas?

EDIT:i see some comments about poorly built connector kits so I will start looking at the specific pins and the associated wires. i didnt think I would need to verify the pin on the connector to the wire within the kit supplied.🙄  

Edited by shredbot
clarity

8 hours ago, shredbot said:

So, looking for any advice, I am trying to install oxford premium heated grips and integrate them to the oem dash controllers. I have soldered the two grips in parallel to the indicator type connectors and get 3.4 ohms. However, when I plug the grips in, they don't register on the dash. Any ideas?

You can’t just plug them in to one connector. You need to use one wire from each stock connector as one wire does nothing and only bridges the two grips.

Should be clear as mud now. 

One stock connector has a negative wire, and one wire that goes to the second connector. This connector has this wire and a positive wire. 
so you need the negative wire from one, and the positive wire from the other. 

Edited by OZVFR

ok, update, I have checked the wiring of the connectors, they are consistent with each other.

looking down at the connector face that makes contact with the female connector, you can see the Y shape of the pin arrangement. The black and white wire goes to the bottom pin, the yellow wire goes to the top right pin and the solid black wire goes to the top left pin.

I used the solid black wire to connect my grips to, following some of the earlier posting.

I need to confirm the actual correct pin on the connector to use....

On 10/22/2019 at 2:12 AM, piotrek said:

@Duke... did you mean yellow-red rather than yellow-blue?... i.e. Heat Demon elements wired in parallel, connected between yellow-red and black?

Capture.thumb.JPG.9b10c02d300e5618ec89c7c40dc0a866.JPG

time for the noob question...

in the diagram, is this showing the "back" of the connector where the wires are coming out?

or

is it showing the "front" that makes connection to the other connector?

thanks

SOLVED: 2021 Tracer is different to previous models

Firstly, thanks to everyone with their help.

I found out the more challenging way that when Yamaha overhauled the entire bike for the 2021 model that included the wiring. 

The first clue was discovering the connectors were located on the left hand side of the bike as opposed to the right. I found out by watching the video posted below. The connector location for the throttle side is shown at 4:10 in the video, with the other side connector location shown at the 8:10 mark. 

I first watched this video for the sole purpose of finding the connector locations to start with. After I couldn't get the dash to see the grips, I re-watched the video to see for anything different that might help trouble shoot the problem.

AND THEN I SAW IT! 

After the bloke put the throttle grip on and connected to the bike, he turns the bike on and heats the grip. he then installed the other side. so not only are the connectors in a different place but the connectors are not wired in series AND each connector is its own complete circuit!

so I have wired the Oxford premium warmers in parallel to one connector, and there you have it! the bike now sees and heats the grips.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I need some brain power to help me so this is a cross post

OK, I got the right connectors from Custom LED https://www.customled.com/products/yamaha-oem-turn-signal-connectors-3-wire and I think I got the correct wire from each connector attached. The Kimpex heated grips have only two wires and they are both black, so am not sure which is + and which is ground. I suspect that it probably doesn't matter. I co0mbined one wire from each grip and attached them to one of the three wires on the Yamaha turn signal connector I purchased above. I looked at what came with the kit and there is a resistor that is to connect to the 12V power source. I don't see one with the Symtec kit (maybe built in?). Do I just need to connect it between the Yamaha connection and the grips? Which one is power on the Yamaha connectors - the black or gray? I am assuming it is just one of the three pins like in the diagram.

I need help to trouble shoot. thank you!