Can't do a wheelie, Do I have a problem?

Please forgive this if it's been posted before but I did search... A LOT.

I'm a new FJ09 owner. It's a like new 2015 with about 1.5k on it. I had the ECU reflashed by one of the guys on here everyone talks about and the bike runs good. I had it done so early that I can't really tell the difference though to be honest. I rode maybe 100 miles before leaving for two weeks on a work thingso that was the perfect time to send it off.

Here's where I run into a problem. The bike is pretty fast. Nothing crazy but it has enough punch I should be able to do a wheelie... I CAN'T DO A DAMN WHEELIE. (This shouldn't upset me but somehow it does.) Yes, I'm fat... well I more big than fat but still tip the scales at 280lbs though much of my weight is up high in my chest and shoulders so wouldn't that be better? Even in first, it will not power up a wheelie as the nannies kick in (I think) , even in A mode. (Which I thought had no nannies) I see all these people talking about how this bike is a beast and a wheelie machine and I'm worried mine is screwed up or something.

Can someone sort me out? I swear I spent an hour or more looking for advise on youtube and this forum.

Thanks,

DeepSix

Edited by DeepSix

TCS needs to be "off"= you will see it lit up... Otherwise the front wheel only goes 2 beer cans high... 

Press and hold down the TCS button to toggle "on/off"... Bike must be completely stopped for it to "toggle"...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

Yup:  A-mode with TCS off is the combination that delivers maximum hooligan entertainment.   Be careful... With the short wheelbase and relatively tall seat height, things happen quickly.  

• Thumbsup 2

I'm not much of a hooligan but I had to try it in A with the TCS off once. It does come up very quickly. 

I like that it'll come up a little with the TCS on. That's enough for me.  There is a bump in the road in the way to work just after a second gear corner that happens to be in the perfect place for the front end to come up just after the shift into third. That one will carry the front wheel for a long time even with the TCS on. That's fun.

• Thumbsup 2

I have put TCS thru it's paces, it works really well😵.. Did you know 2WDW has multiple tuning software options 😏... I highly recommend Woolich Racing software and the Race Kit add-on... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

I just had to turn off the TCS to paddle my way out of the soft sand at the beach. I SERIOUSLY underestimated the effort it was going to take to get back to the pavement!  

On the beach at Sargent, Texas... 

63E6AC7F-2BD4-4D24-81B3-6B62C88036F5.thumb.jpeg.cbe6ea404efeed12ca010ab2cdd9ef5e.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I just had to turn off the TCS to paddle my way out of the soft sand at the beach. I SERIOUSLY underestimated the effort it was going to take to get back to the pavement!  

On the beach at Sargent, Texas... 

63E6AC7F-2BD4-4D24-81B3-6B62C88036F5.thumb.jpeg.cbe6ea404efeed12ca010ab2cdd9ef5e.jpeg

Happy cleaning Scott! 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 4

'15 FJ09

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, DeepSix said:

Please forgive this if it's been posted before but I did search... A LOT.

I'm a new FJ09 owner. It's a like new 2015 with about 1.5k on it. I had the ECU reflashed by one of the guys on here everyone talks about and the bike runs good. I had it done so early that I can't really tell the difference though to be honest. I rode maybe 100 miles before leaving for two weeks on a work thingso that was the perfect time to send it off.

Here's where I run into a problem. The bike is pretty fast. Nothing crazy but it has enough punch I should be able to do a wheelie... I CAN'T DO A DAMN WHEELIE. (This shouldn't upset me but somehow it does.) Yes, I'm fat... well I more big than fat but still tip the scales at 280lbs though much of my weight is up high in my chest and shoulders so wouldn't that be better? Even in first, it will not power up a wheelie as the nannies kick in (I think) , even in A mode. (Which I thought had no nannies) I see all these people talking about how this bike is a beast and a wheelie machine and I'm worried mine is screwed up or something.

Can someone sort me out? I swear I spent an hour or more looking for advise on youtube and this forum.

Thanks,

DeepSix

ok so did it work,,can you wheelie ? if yes then please tell me how. I just traded my fz07 for a 2020 900 gt ,,,,now that bike was wheelie at will ,,well 1st and 2and ,,sometimes 3rd  with some help from the road,,,I can wheelie the tracer {using clutch } 1st ,,but  1st gear wheelies are lame imo.Let me just say im not a big wheelie guy going down the street at  90 degrees,,i just enjoy a slight lift and riding it out ,,and like you I have heard the same thing that if your not careful you will be looking up at the sky,,and like you cant find anything on u tube . I dont know if it needs re flashing or what but this is what happens ,,TCS OFF,,A mode on  ,4500 -5500 rpm and hammer the throttle ,,no way will it lift, in fact its not even that snappy ,,its actually feels flat and starts picking up speed ,, ,,very disappointing,,every bike i have ever owned will toss you back in your seat if you hammer the gas  2and gear 4500 rpm,,,granted the bike is new and only has 500 miles so i dont push it ,,,next scenario i try with the clutch  which to me is the best ,,same set up only rpms around 3-5K ,,drop the clutch and give it gas yes a little air under front wheel but the engine is screaming  and feels out of control and the wheelie if you want to call it that is short lived. This bike feels much more like a touring bike only ,, not a sport touring  .it just doesnt have that torqueyniss {is that a word} One of the biggest reasons i chose this bike was  it was somewhat of a hoolagan,,or so they say. Maybe they changed the sprocket on the 2020.?? I am dumbfounded.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by Bill H

Keep in mind, the 2018+ Tracer's have an extra 2" in swingarm length.  This has a substantial impact on wheelies.  

TBH, I find it's pretty flat around 4k rpm.  That's very low for the CP3, it likes to be revved and 4k is barely beyond lugging it.  

I recently swapped to a 47 (stock is 45) tooth rear sprocket and that made all the difference for me.  Coming from the MT07 as well, before the acceleration at <5000 RPMs was disappointing.  You get past that fast, and it'd accelerate WAY harder afterwards, but that early bit was really disappointing.  The 47 tooth rear sprocket fixes that, both in resultant power at low RPMs and in that you get to higher RPMs quicker.

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, Bill H said:

ok so did it work,,can you wheelie ? if yes then please tell me how. I just traded my fz07 for a 2020 900 gt ,,,,now that bike was wheelie at will ,,well 1st and 2and ,,sometimes 3rd  with some help from the road,,,I can wheelie the tracer {using clutch } 1st ,,but  1st gear wheelies are lame imo.Let me just say im not a big wheelie guy going down the street at  90 degrees,,i just enjoy a slight lift and riding it out ,,and like you I have heard the same thing that if your not careful you will be looking up at the sky,,and like you cant find anything on u tube . I dont know if it needs re flashing or what but this is what happens ,,TCS OFF,,A mode on  ,4500 -5500 rpm and hammer the throttle ,,no way will it lift, in fact its not even that snappy ,,its actually feels flat and starts picking up speed ,, ,,very disappointing,,every bike i have ever owned will toss you back in your seat if you hammer the gas  2and gear 4500 rpm,,,granted the bike is new and only has 500 miles so i dont push it ,,,next scenario i try with the clutch  which to me is the best ,,same set up only rpms around 3-5K ,,drop the clutch and give it gas yes a little air under front wheel but the engine is screaming  and feels out of control and the wheelie if you want to call it that is short lived. This bike feels much more like a touring bike only ,, not a sport touring  .it just doesnt have that torqueyniss {is that a word} One of the biggest reasons i chose this bike was  it was somewhat of a hoolagan,,or so they say. Maybe they changed the sprocket on the 2020.?? I am dumbfounded.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Bill

It's not the bike, or sprocket. The clue is you don't want front wheel to lift too high. Keep your arms straight. Get someone to video you, it will really help, as what you think your doing Is keeping your arms straight but chances are your bending your arms, nullifying the lift. With good technique, you'll be able to do this. It weighs more than my house...

IMG_5237.JPG

Edited by 3way
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, 3way said:

It's not the bike, or sprocket. The clue is you don't want front wheel to lift too high. Keep your arms straight. Get someone to video you, it will really help, as what you think your doing Is keeping your arms straight but chances are your bending your arms, nullifying the lift. With good technique, you'll be able to do this. It weighs more than my house...

IMG_5237.JPG

Hah to be fair, these guys have a person in the back and *way* low tire pressure to get those goldwings up.  Otherwise, they just spin the tires, no amount of technique beats the physics there.

50 minutes ago, Stew said:

Am I the only one looking at that photo and worrying about the fork seals when it comes hammering down again?

Someone skilled can set the front end down smoothly. That person isn't me, but some people...

Otherwise, yes. Those fork seals are not long for this world. 

• Thumbsup 4

'15 FJ09