Can't do a wheelie, Do I have a problem?

5 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Someone skilled can set the front end down smoothly. That person isn't me, but some people...

Otherwise, yes. Those fork seals are not long for this world. 

Me neither, which is why I avoid them wherever possible. Changing fork seals is never fun.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Stew said:

Am I the only one looking at that photo and worrying about the fork seals when it comes hammering down again?

More worried about the road on landing.....

4584E53D-7EDC-4F13-AF2E-13390CB44B93.jpeg

Edited by 3way
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, daboo said:

I've never done a wheelie.  I don't think it is in my future.  ;)

But I still have the original steering head bearings in my bike at 58K.  :)

Chris

Bearings are £30.00.  Well worth the fun to be had.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, 3way said:

But wheelies are !  Haha. 

There is no arguing with that.
Although....

my pal didn't think so back in the day, when I was riding HIS honda rs250, with him on pillion, and I flipped it at a set of traffic lights. I was lying on the ground laughing, while he was kicking me!

Ah , happy days.

• Haha 3

On 7/25/2020 at 6:42 AM, 3way said:

It's not the bike, or sprocket. The clue is you don't want front wheel to lift too high. Keep your arms straight. Get someone to video you, it will really help, as what you think your doing Is keeping your arms straight but chances are your bending your arms, nullifying the lift. With good technique, you'll be able to do this. It weighs more than my house...

IMG_5237.JPG

did i just feel the ground shake when that landed ,,hahaha,,i can do that all day in first but whats the point,,lend me the passenger and maybe i can do it in 2nd

• Haha 1

I'd like to see if I understand the traction control completely while we are kind of on the subject. Please let me know if this is a fair statement:

Trac 2 senses both front and rear tires preventing wheelies and rear wheel slippage as well.

Trac 1 senses only the rear wheel preventing slippage from the rear wheel. Wheelies are possible with this setting.

Thank you guys. I've learned so much from reading these threads!

On 7/25/2020 at 2:05 AM, Wintersdark said:

Keep in mind, the 2018+ Tracer's have an extra 2" in swingarm length.  This has a substantial impact on wheelies.  

TBH, I find it's pretty flat around 4k rpm.  That's very low for the CP3, it likes to be revved and 4k is barely beyond lugging it.  

I recently swapped to a 47 (stock is 45) tooth rear sprocket and that made all the difference for me.  Coming from the MT07 as well, before the acceleration at <5000 RPMs was disappointing.  You get past that fast, and it'd accelerate WAY harder afterwards, but that early bit was really disappointing.  The 47 tooth rear sprocket fixes that, both in resultant power at low RPMs and in that you get to higher RPMs quicker.

man im missing my MT07,,,,20 mph ,,drop the clutch and boom ,front end is up,,so before i say there is no way this front end is coming up more than a few inches ,,{ cause i have been trying } ,,let me ask do you own the newer model and if so are you able to get the front wheel off the ground and ride it out ?

1 hour ago, KillEmAll4u said:

I'd like to see if I understand the traction control completely while we are kind of on the subject. Please let me know if this is a fair statement:

Trac 2 senses both front and rear tires preventing wheelies and rear wheel slippage as well.

Trac 1 senses only the rear wheel preventing slippage from the rear wheel. Wheelies are possible with this setting.

No.

TCS 2 prevents any difference in wheel speed (no wheelies at all, really), TCS 1 still watches both but allows limited slip - either light spin on the rear or about two beer cans worth of wheelie, then it'll bring the front down gently.

An interesting observation I made this morning on my way home from work.  Was doing stoplight to stoplight drag races with a BMW R9T, and discovered two things.

With the 47 tooth rear, even on a gentle launch with the front well planted, and my 300lb bulk forward on the tank, nothing in the back, at WOT in first at 6500-7000rpm the front will lift, like clockwork.  No sudden throttle increase, no clutch play, just WOT once RPMs hit that point it's enough straight torque to lift the front.  TCS1 kicks in there and you just sort of hover a bit, but yeah.  

Also, the Tracer(with said sprocket, at least) out-accelerates the R9T, reliably, by a fair margin.  

Fun times!

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, KillEmAll4u said:

according to the owners manual,,,,""" helps maintain traction when accelerating on slippery suface""tcs 1 minimal control,,tcs2 maximizes traction control,,,i dont think it does shit for front wheel ,,basically if you punch it on some wet oily road the rear wheel wont spin,, ,,,they make a point to say will not prevent rear slide out on corner and will not prevent front wheel slipping ,, ,,im assuming though if your on the gas say going through an intersection and hit some loose gravel it will engage. but it aint gonna save your bacon if your carving some corners ,i personally dont even like knowing its on my bike ,,I mean its nice to have but i would never assume its gonna save me and thats its ok to ride thinking it will. J.M.O.

• Thumbsup 2

Just now, Bill H said:

according to the owners manual,,,,""" helps maintain traction when accelerating on slippery suface""tcs 1 minimal control,,tcs2 maximizes traction control,,,i dont think it does shit for front wheel ,,basically if you punch it on some wet oily road the rear wheel wont spin,, ,,,they make a point to say will not prevent rear slide out on corner and will not prevent front wheel slipping ,, ,,im assuming though if your on the gas say going through an intersection and hit some loose gravel it will engage. but it aint gonna save your bacon if your carving some corners ,i personally dont even like knowing its on my bike ,,I mean its nice to have but i would never assume its gonna save me and thats its ok to ride thinking it will. J.M.O.

Speaking of TCS,,does anyone know if theres a way to bypass the default ?

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Bill H said:

according to the owners manual,,,,""" helps maintain traction when accelerating on slippery suface""tcs 1 minimal control,,tcs2 maximizes traction control,,,i dont think it does shit for front wheel

It detects when it isn't in sync with the rear wheel... like when its rising off the ground in a wheelie.  I have accelerated hard enough to wheelie many times, when the front wheel starts to lift, the TCS light starts strobing and it retards power output.  I'm not sure how it is on the GT, but the FJ has a TCS button that you can hold to turn it off.

image.thumb.png.78d3462c85df3436e85a55c4e9a7f905.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

man im missing my MT07,,,,20 mph ,,drop the clutch and boom ,front end is up,,so before i say there is no way this front end is coming up more than a few inches ,,{ cause i have been trying } ,,let me ask do you own the newer model and if so are you able to get the front wheel off the ground and ride it out ?

It was a major issue I had with the Tracer after I traded my MT07 in, that it simply lacked the wildness of acceleration that the MT07 had.  It for sure accelerated significantly faster, but it felt slower.  The sprocket change fixed that right up. 

I'd argue you'd get similar results with an ECU flash as by stock the fueling is pretty lean at idle until it gets into closed loop mode.  This kinda damps down the initial kick off the line.  I've got a "Booster Plug" on the way, which purports to tell the ECU it's 20C colder and thus run 6% richer and fix that+smooth out the idle/low rpm low throttle irritability the CP3 has, at a much lower cost than an ECU flash and (importantly for me) not voiding parts of the warranty as it's quick and easy to remove.