Can't do a wheelie, Do I have a problem?

48 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It was a major issue I had with the Tracer after I traded my MT07 in, that it simply lacked the wildness of acceleration that the MT07 had.  It for sure accelerated significantly faster, but it felt slower.  The sprocket change fixed that right up. 

I'd argue you'd get similar results with an ECU flash as by stock the fueling is pretty lean at idle until it gets into closed loop mode.  This kinda damps down the initial kick off the line.  I've got a "Booster Plug" on the way, which purports to tell the ECU it's 20C colder and thus run 6% richer and fix that+smooth out the idle/low rpm low throttle irritability the CP3 has, at a much lower cost than an ECU flash and (importantly for me) not voiding parts of the warranty as it's quick and easy to remove.

yeah i heard about that Booster plug,, so what year is your bike ,,you mentioned warranty  so its gotta be pretty new ,I have to say this Tracer is super smooth ,,your obviously familiar with the mt07 and what a herky jerky monster it was ,,even after the re flash which helped some but not nearly enough I just got into the habit of using the clutch all the time ,,the Tracer is nite and day,,its taking me awhile to get out of the clutching habit ,,,but it is super smooth,,really hardly any on off abruptness,,in fact engine breaking is almost non existing which i do not like . Bike only has 550 miles ,,i just dumped the oil and filter ,,chain had 50mm of slack ,,yikes ,,i seen some guys say 20-25 but i tighten to 35 mm slack. definitely made a dif.I may hold off on mods till next year,,I have other beefs as well,,slight wobble at 40mph,,a front end clunk now and then,,sounds like its under the steering head ,,and what i think may be the floating rotors ,,sometime s a clank with the breaks ,,i dont know ,,its hard to mimic ,and its hard to over look the annoying vibration at 51K rpm,,,,i hate that stuff.Enough bitching ,, its a blast to ride ,,i just dont like quirks 

• Premium Member

Doing bit of off roading and forget to turn off TCS and Yamaha scared the hell out of me with solid TCS amber and check engine light until I turn the ignition off/on. 😄

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

It was a major issue I had with the Tracer after I traded my MT07 in, that it simply lacked the wildness of acceleration that the MT07 had.  It for sure accelerated significantly faster, but it felt slower.  The sprocket change fixed that right up. 

I'd argue you'd get similar results with an ECU flash as by stock the fueling is pretty lean at idle until it gets into closed loop mode.  This kinda damps down the initial kick off the line.  I've got a "Booster Plug" on the way, which purports to tell the ECU it's 20C colder and thus run 6% richer and fix that+smooth out the idle/low rpm low throttle irritability the CP3 has, at a much lower cost than an ECU flash and (importantly for me) not voiding parts of the warranty as it's quick and easy to remove.

Man... I guess I need to go ride a MT07 (been interested on them for a while as a 2nd bike)... I've always thought my FJ-09 (Tracer) was one of the hardest accelerating bikes I've owned... especially 0-60mph... 

If you haven't already, try keeping it in A-mode.

As far as being able to wheelie... my '15 FJ will lift the wheel in first and second easily. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

4 hours ago, Bill H said:

yeah i heard about that Booster plug,, so what year is your bike ,,you mentioned warranty  so its gotta be pretty new ,I have to say this Tracer is super smooth ,,your obviously familiar with the mt07 and what a herky jerky monster it was ,,even after the re flash which helped some but not nearly enough I just got into the habit of using the clutch all the time ,,the Tracer is nite and day,,its taking me awhile to get out of the clutching habit ,,,but it is super smooth,,really hardly any on off abruptness,,in fact engine breaking is almost non existing which i do not like . Bike only has 550 miles ,,i just dumped the oil and filter ,,chain had 50mm of slack ,,yikes ,,i seen some guys say 20-25 but i tighten to 35 mm slack. definitely made a dif.I may hold off on mods till next year,,I have other beefs as well,,slight wobble at 40mph,,a front end clunk now and then,,sounds like its under the steering head ,,and what i think may be the floating rotors ,,sometime s a clank with the breaks ,,i dont know ,,its hard to mimic ,and its hard to over look the annoying vibration at 51K rpm,,,,i hate that stuff.Enough bitching ,, its a blast to ride ,,i just dont like quirks 

Well, of you don't like quirks and you can wheelie a Goldwing, get a Goldwing ! Haha. When I get off the tracer and back onto my 20 yr old CBR, you wonder where progress has been made. Silky smooth throttle, gear change you can't even feel, no jarring over small bumps, a comfortable seat and way less wind noise. However, the Tracer is an addictive ride, and I forgo the quirks to get that fix. 

• Supporting Member

For all you wheelie challenged riders!                                                                                                                                   You need to take Welalias for everyday use. One pill a day allows a rider to pop a longer, higher and straight wheelie at will.🤣

He who dies with the most toys wins.

8 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Man... I guess I need to go ride a MT07 (been interested on them for a while as a 2nd bike)... I've always thought my FJ-09 (Tracer) was one of the hardest accelerating bikes I've owned... especially 0-60mph... 

As far as being able to wheelie... my '15 FJ will lift the wheel in first and second easily. 

The FJ09 has a short swingarm.  The 2018+ has an extra 2" in swingarm length (and 59.1" vs 56.7" total wheelbase), which makes a very significant difference.  You CAN wheelie with a stock Tracer, for sure, but you need to be deliberate about it.  

The MT07 doesn't accelerate faster than the FJ/Tracer, not at all, but it sure as hell feels a lot faster.  What happens is a combination of the short 55" wheelbase, sub-400lb weight, super torquey twin just makes the bike launch forward.  And up.  It's easy to power wheelie in first and second, and it'll wheelie in first, second, and third as you shift if you're just riding aggressively, but not even trying to.  Particularly if you (like everyone does) switch out the throttle tube for an R6 tube (45 degree twist idle to WOT instead of 90 degree) In all honesty, the MT07 was the single most fun bike I've ever ridden.  Just a blast.  I still want to get an XSR700 for booting about town, if I could justify the cost ;)  I can't recommend them enough to people.  Not a good bike for long rides, as the seat is brutal, and they're fairly small and cramped for a big guy like me, but damn.  So fun.

Definitely give one a test ride sometime, they're fantastic.

And yeah, mine is in A mode all the time.  Literally all the time.  I played around with STD and B in the winter, but ultimately found B made the bike feel just broken, and STD seemed kind of pointless (if I yank on the throttle, I want it to go thank you very much).  

• Thumbsup 2

‘The MT07 doesn't accelerate faster than the FJ/Tracer, not at all, but it sure as hell feels a lot faster.’ 

I know where your coming from. I ride a 250 2stroke, hitting the power band feels like I’m doing a land speed record. Twitchy Small bike, brakes that are there just as a token gesture, tyres that are about the same size as my mountain bike, and a manic rattling noise. All adds up to a visceral ride, but in reality not that fast at all. Thing is, it puts a grin on my face every time, which is why I love some bikes, and not others (gs”s. ) 

Edited by 3way
  • Thumbsup 3

21 hours ago, Bill H said:

My MT07 had exactly the same clunk, it's from the rotors.  I worried at it for ages, as I've rebuilt MANY old 80's bikes and I'm very familiar with shot steering head bearings.  Took getting a buddy to stand on the bike with the front brake squeezed and rock back and forth when I was right down by the wheel to realize what was happening.  My Tracer(2019, got it in November, after two years with the 2018 MT07) has it too.  It's got a 5 year warranty though, so I'm not really into flashing it.

I had a 2wdw flash on my MT07 with a Black Widow exhaust, and that really improved the jerkiness there - on the MT07 most of it is the fuel injector decel cut.  That's a thing on the Tracer too but with the slipper clutch(why there's nearly no engine braking) and increased mass it has WAY less impact.

But yeah, the Tracer feels *massively* more refined than the MT07 did, which is ostensibly good but... Well, that wildness is fun.  But like I said, the 47 tooth sprocket makes a huge difference there.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, duhs10 said:

fz07 was a fun playful bike for sure ,,i miss the low end ease of lifting the front end ,,and the ease of tight u-turns,Tracer freaks me out everytime  in tight space and i shi#*^%#T my pants if its on an incline ,,but after a few hundred miles under my belt and the new motor stating to loosen up the FZ07 is sadly becoming a distant memory .

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, duhs10 said:

On 7/27/2020 at 1:03 AM, 3way said:

Well, of you don't like quirks and you can wheelie a Goldwing, get a Goldwing ! Haha. When I get off the tracer and back onto my 20 yr old CBR, you wonder where progress has been made. Silky smooth throttle, gear change you can't even feel, no jarring over small bumps, a comfortable seat and way less wind noise. However, the Tracer is an addictive ride, and I forgo the quirks to get that fix. 

hahaha,,no goldwing for me thanks,I will forgo the quirks ,I kinda remember my old Interceptor as you described here .theres  a lot to be said about old school before computers controlled the bike

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/27/2020 at 5:41 PM, Wintersdark said:

My MT07 had exactly the same clunk, it's from the rotors.  I worried at it for ages, as I've rebuilt MANY old 80's bikes and I'm very familiar with shot steering head bearings.  Took getting a buddy to stand on the bike with the front brake squeezed and rock back and forth when I was right down by the wheel to realize what was happening.  My Tracer(2019, got it in November, after two years with the 2018 MT07) has it too.  It's got a 5 year warranty though, so I'm not really into flashing it.

I had a 2wdw flash on my MT07 with a Black Widow exhaust, and that really improved the jerkiness there - on the MT07 most of it is the fuel injector decel cut.  That's a thing on the Tracer too but with the slipper clutch(why there's nearly no engine braking) and increased mass it has WAY less impact.

But yeah, the Tracer feels *massively* more refined than the MT07 did, which is ostensibly good but... Well, that wildness is fun.  But like I said, the 47 tooth sprocket makes a huge difference there.

Its funny ,,my 2017 FZ07 was almost perfect ,16K miles at trade in and the only issue was after i changed the rear tire the abs  light would flash now and then and sometimes make this weird whining noise ,,other than that no vibrations ,clunks, wheel wobble ,,nothing,,where as the Tracer has all this right off the showroom  floor.,,however that triple makes you forget about it pretty quick

On 7/27/2020 at 6:34 AM, roadrash83 said:

For all you wheelie challenged riders!                                                                                                                                   You need to take Welalias for everyday use. One pill a day allows a rider to pop a longer, higher and straight wheelie at will.🤣

Are you talking bout those blue pills ,,,

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, Bill H said:

Are you talking bout those blue pills ,,,

No I think you'll find that's Wheelagra.  @2and3cylinders is talking about Welalias.  Two different things but get the same/similar result...... or so I've been told as I haven't done a wheelie in quite a while😉.  Used to be able to do them all the time years ago.  Sometimes even when I had no intention of doing one.  Back then, getting the front up was effortless and I could keep it there for a very long time!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
On 7/29/2020 at 1:26 AM, dazzler24 said:

No I think you'll find that's Wheelagra.  @2and3cylinders is talking about Welalias.  Two different things but get the same/similar result...... or so I've been told as I haven't done a wheelie in quite a while😉.  Used to be able to do them all the time years ago.  Sometimes even when I had no intention of doing one.  Back then, getting the front up was effortless and I could keep it there for a very long time!

Huh, what I say when, where?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Huh, what I say when, where?

Woops!  Credited the quote to the wrong man!  Should have been @roadrash83.

Yet another side effect of the aging process!  Now, what day is it today?  Where did I leave my glasses.....?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1