Can't do a wheelie, Do I have a problem?

• Premium Member

Hey kid, that's my excuse!  No idea what day it is where you are...nuf trouble figuring it out here.  Look on the top of your head.

I'm always putting things where I know I'll find them but then forgetting where that was.  Currently I'm looking for my good hot air gun, and one of the two push-the center pin to-release retainer (13/18) "rivets" that secure the (12) "seal guard" (rubbing track) for the swing (rear) arm.  I have everything apart to clean and lube the swing arm and shock linkage bearings, and replace the chain.  Thankless, dirty job...

Shop online for OEM Rear Arm parts that fit your 2015 Yamaha FJ09...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, duhs10 said:

Man... I guess I need to go ride a MT07 (been interested on them for a while as a 2nd bike)... I've always thought my FJ-09 (Tracer) was one of the hardest accelerating bikes I've owned... especially 0-60mph... 

If you haven't already, try keeping it in A-mode.

As far as being able to wheelie... my '15 FJ will lift the wheel in first and second easily. 

yup its in a mode all day long,,,wheelies in 1st are doable but thats it ,,I have tried and tried ,,,and im full rev and drop the clutch and pull up on bars ,,,,maybe 2 beers cans ,,helps if going up hill ,,so if you like to wheelie dont get the new Tracer with longer wheel base ,

mt07 was a great bike ,,but its gonna feel like a pit bike compared to tracer

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/26/2020 at 7:16 PM, Wintersdark said:

It was a major issue I had with the Tracer after I traded my MT07 in, that it simply lacked the wildness of acceleration that the MT07 had.  It for sure accelerated significantly faster, but it felt slower.  The sprocket change fixed that right up. 

I'd argue you'd get similar results with an ECU flash as by stock the fueling is pretty lean at idle until it gets into closed loop mode.  This kinda damps down the initial kick off the line.  I've got a "Booster Plug" on the way, which purports to tell the ECU it's 20C colder and thus run 6% richer and fix that+smooth out the idle/low rpm low throttle irritability the CP3 has, at a much lower cost than an ECU flash and (importantly for me) not voiding parts of the warranty as it's quick and easy to remove.

hey so strongly considering the sprocket change ,,after 1500 miles im guessing for all the same reasons you did .Pounding throught the gears hard from 1st and up the bike screams ,,smooth and fast ,,and the quick shiftier is pretty cool,,but only when jamming through the gears . ,,BUT !!! say cruising along 5K and roll on gas hard it is not very impressive ,, just a big ol flat spot So i have three questions for you

1,,Have you installed that booster yet ?

2 ,,did you have to change the chain with taller sprocket

3 did bigger sprocket not only helped with excel but front end lift ??

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Bill H said:

yup its in a mode all day long,,,wheelies in 1st are doable but thats it ,,I have tried and tried ,,,and im full rev and drop the clutch and pull up on bars ,,,,maybe 2 beers cans ,,helps if going up hill ,,so if you like to wheelie dont get the new Tracer with longer wheel base ,

mt07 was a great bike ,,but its gonna feel like a pit bike compared to tracer

Do you have TCS disabled?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Do you have TCS disabled?

yes and no,,i mean did before 1000 mile break in ,,didnt seem to make a dif on or off ,I kinda  forgot about that mode ,,,Im not used to bikes with modes ,,,now with 1600 miles on bike i will try with tcs off,,the prob is i dont set off for a ride thinking today is a wheelie day,,set by default and cant change on the fly its kind of a hassell.Im still geared up from earlier ride,,gonna try right now ,will LYK

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, Bill H said:

yes and no,,i mean did before 1000 mile break in ,,didnt seem to make a dif on or off ,I kinda  forgot about that mode ,,,Im not used to bikes with modes ,,,now with 1600 miles on bike i will try with tcs off,,the prob is i dont set off for a ride thinking today is a wheelie day,,set by default and cant change on the fly its kind of a hassell.Im still geared up from earlier ride,,gonna try right now ,will LYK

Traction control is wheelie control.  when it senses the wheels out of sync, like when one of them slides or is off the ground it cuts power.  Turn traction control off the next time you ride and deliberately try to wheelie.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Bill H said:

hey so strongly considering the sprocket change ,,after 1500 miles im guessing for all the same reasons you did .Pounding throught the gears hard from 1st and up the bike screams ,,smooth and fast ,,and the quick shiftier is pretty cool,,but only when jamming through the gears . ,,BUT !!! say cruising along 5K and roll on gas hard it is not very impressive ,, just a big ol flat spot So i have three questions for you

1,,Have you installed that booster yet ?

2 ,,did you have to change the chain with taller sprocket

3 did bigger sprocket not only helped with excel but front end lift ??

I just installed a new gold did zvm X 520 chain after using a 520 EK equivalent, which lasted about 20,000 miles, a little bit more than the stock chain.

But this time I dropped a tooth in the front to 15 and 44 in back for a little more torque,  4% lower than 16/45 OEM.

So gas mileage shouldn't be significantly affected but it will help acceleration, I'm not into wheelies though.

• Thumbsup 1

42 minutes ago, betoney said:

Traction control is wheelie control.  when it senses the wheels out of sync, like when one of them slides or is off the ground it cuts power.  Turn traction control off the next time you ride and deliberately try to wheelie.

well just got back and honestly it doesnt make a diff on or off,,and in a way im glad because unless i get into the habit of turning it off every time i ride Im sure as hell not gonna pull over when i feel like randomly lofting the front end..OK my theory is it needs to be re flashed ,,,so humming along 2nd gear around 5-6 k rpms right  in the sweet spot  and hammer throttle ,,there is a slight bog,,flat spot,,like your in b mode.,no way is it gonna lift,,so same thing this time pull in clutch,,rev up to 8-9 grand and pop clutch ,,it feels at first like its gonna come up but then as the rpms drop it bogs just enough to say ,,sorry no wheelie for you .Now i know newer bikes have longer frames but there is a definite  flat spot  that i  think is holding it back

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

well just got back and honestly it doesnt make a diff on or off,,and in a way im glad because unless i get into the habit of turning it off every time i ride Im sure as hell not gonna pull over when i feel like randomly lofting the front end..OK my theory is it needs to be re flashed ,,,so humming along 2nd gear around 5-6 k rpms right  in the sweet spot  and hammer throttle ,,there is a slight bog,,flat spot,,like your in b mode.,no way is it gonna lift,,so same thing this time pull in clutch,,rev up to 8-9 grand and pop clutch ,,it feels at first like its gonna come up but then as the rpms drop it bogs just enough to say ,,sorry no wheelie for you .Now i know newer bikes have longer frames but there is a definite  flat spot  that i  think is holding it back

This sounds like the TCS is still active... I know you said you tried it with it the TCS off... but what you are describing is exactly how the bike acts with TCS on.

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

15 hours ago, Bill H said:

yup its in a mode all day long,,,wheelies in 1st are doable but thats it ,,I have tried and tried ,,,and im full rev and drop the clutch and pull up on bars ,,,,maybe 2 beers cans ,,helps if going up hill ,,so if you like to wheelie dont get the new Tracer with longer wheel base

2019 Tracer GT here. Easy enough to do a wheelie. However I prefer to keep both wheels on the ground. Save my wheelies for off-road riding on a dirt bike not on the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, duhs10 said:

This sounds like the TCS is still active... I know you said you tried it with it the TCS off... but what you are describing is exactly how the bike acts with TCS on.

No it was off but on or off the bike still has a flat spot,,or sluggish,,imo there should be no hesitation at 5-6 K rpm,,thats like right in the sweet spot 

• Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, dpippin said:

2019 Tracer GT here. Easy enough to do a wheelie. However I prefer to keep both wheels on the ground. Save my wheelies for off-road riding on a dirt bike not on the Tracer.

I see so your 2019 bike will wheelie easily ,{which you dont do } but for some reason my 2020 wont .forget the wheelie if it upsets you ,,im trying to figure out why it wont,,

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, Bill H said:

No it was off but on or off the bike still has a flat spot,,or sluggish,,imo there should be no hesitation at 5-6 K rpm,,thats like right in the sweet spot 

Contact the guys at 2Wheeldynoworks, they aren't too far from you.  They REALLY know this CP3 motor.

2 Wheel Dynoworks

Address

13209 NE 126th Pl STE 460

Kirkland, WA 98034

Email

Phone

(425) 269-5332

Business Hours

Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday-Monday: Closed

• Thumbsup 1

27 minutes ago, Bill H said:

I see so your 2019 bike will wheelie easily ,{which you dont do } but for some reason my 2020 wont .forget the wheelie if it upsets you ,,im trying to figure out why it wont,,

In stock form, my 2020 had no problem, power wheelies through intersections in first and second. Clutch ups at will.
When I switched to 47T in the back and a tune, I now cover my rear brake out of self preservation.
This is with traction control set to 1.
I've honestly never had traction control step in with TC1 (minus gravel road drifting), for sure with TC2 which I don't use anymore. I also don't hold a wheelie for more than 2-3 seconds YMMV.

3 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

In stock form, my 2020 had no problem, power wheelies through intersections in first and second. Clutch ups at will.
When I switched to 47T in the back and a tune, I now cover my rear brake out of self preservation.
This is with traction control set to 1.
I've honestly never had traction control step in with TC1 (minus gravel road drifting), for sure with TC2 which I don't use anymore. I also don't hold a wheelie for more than 2-3 seconds YMMV.

WTF !!!,,why wont my bike wheel up,,im not looking to do a stand up wheelie ,,{that would freak me out } i just want to lift front end up a foot or so and ride it out like you said. 1st gear no prob ,,{dont care for those } but thats it ,

so you have a 2020,,before tune was it sluggish till around 7k RPM ?

and on another subject do you have a vibration when going hard through the gears ,mine kicks in at 5 k and the whole bike vibrates or shutters ,,foot pegs,grips and gas tank,,it almost takes the fun out of twisting the throttle