Denali Sound bomb split probably saved me from accident today

Today was my second ride with a Denali Sound Bomb installed on my bike. (I'll have to do a post on the install because it worked out pretty slick. The pump is mounted to the under side of the metal bracket with the seat lock.) Anyway, I was plugging along a really nice country road and out in front of me about 40 or 50 yards, a woman started to pull out of her driveway. She just flat didn't see me. I blasted my horn, she slammed on her brakes and stopped and I was able to go around her. It wasn't that close a call but if she'd pulled out all the way and crossed into the oncoming lane like so many do, I wouldn't have had much place to go. It definitely got my heart racing though.

Anyway, It's crazy embarrassing when I accidentally bump the horn trying to turn off my blinkers but it's totally worth it. (I'm just recently back on street bikes after a 20 year layoff.)

I'm not shilling for this brand, I just think stock horns are so damn insufficient and I was super happy with being able to put part of the horn under the seat. Even happier with having a massive horn blast when I needed it.

Hope that helps someone,

DeepSix

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Same question as before - is your bike fitted with DRLs?   I ask only because of the 'she just flat didn't see me' comment.  Whatever - glad you got away with it.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

7 hours ago, DeepSix said:

Even happier with having a massive horn blast when I needed it.

I have the split Soundbomb myself. People jump when I hit the horn. You see them in their cars when you hit the horn. They do a double take expecting to see a simi or such vehicle. Easy install, worth it IMHO. In the States, we have our headlight come on with the key. I run high beams most of the time.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

tplz, koth - we also are required by law to have a headlight on all the time, but let's be honest, the Tracer's is somewhat feeble, especially perhaps in bright sunlight.   Hence my use of DRLs and my interest in whether fitted or not in these near-miss situations!   

Not - as with the horn - that they are any guarantee: my own (and only) near-miss, which wasn't really all that near occurred on my BMW R1200 R.  This bike has sort-of traditional styling, with a large single round headlight (albeit not very bright) but was, as usual with me, fitted with a pair of brighter-than-a-thousand-suns LEDs at the font.   Riding at modest/ legal speed along a local Motorway some time ago I was quite gradually coming up behind a small van pulling a small tradesman's trailer, which was in an adjacent lane.   When I was some distance behind it began to ever-so gently drift into my (marked) lane.   I proceeded, as it was well in front of me, and it too proceeded to drift, until I blipped the horn.   A startled-looking face appeared out of the driver's window with a look that he must have thought that a yellow submarine had come up behind him! 

More amusing than anything else, but LEDs and all, he clearly wasn't looking into his mirrors.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

REDIRECT.VIGLINK.COM

Review of the 115DB Airzound bicycle air horn, with information on how to fit and use it, where to buy your AirZound and more! Perfect for all cyclists!

I do have day time running lights and ride during the day with high beam on. I was reading a thing about how people are looking for cars and their brains sometimes just don't recognize motorcycles... sounds strange but I can see how it could be true. I'm not sure how she didn't see me as I was as visible as I could be.

DeepSix

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, tktplz said:

In the States, we have our headlight come on with the key. I run high beams most of the time.

I too run my high beam on all the time, I adjusted the angle down to be equal with the standard light.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, DeepSix said:

I'm not sure how she didn't see me as I was as visible as I could be.

Yeah, I always ride like they don't see me. A quick bump of the horn and I'm visible. Glad most of my riding is leaving from my house and going further out in the boonies. I don't commute, I have a company car and just ride the bike for pleasure. I live out of town on a lake here in NW Louisiana and ride further out on backroads. It's enough to deal with people pulling out of their driveway onto 2 lane country roads. Again, a slight tap of the Soundbomb and they double take and think it's a semi.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 2:27 AM, DeepSix said:

Today was my second ride with a Denali Sound Bomb installed on my bike. (I'll have to do a post on the install because it worked out pretty slick. The pump is mounted to the under side of the metal bracket with the seat lock.) Anyway, I was plugging along a really nice country road and out in front of me about 40 or 50 yards, a woman started to pull out of her driveway. She just flat didn't see me. I blasted my horn, she slammed on her brakes and stopped and I was able to go around her. It wasn't that close a call but if she'd pulled out all the way and crossed into the oncoming lane like so many do, I wouldn't have had much place to go. It definitely got my heart racing though.

I hate to resurrect a dead post but I just bought one and i'm racking my brain trying to figure out where to mount the 2 halves. I've seen a few videos but now realizing most of the videos have more 'empty space' to mount things than my tracer does.

I'm hundreds of miles from my bike for the next few months or I'd take pics bit I'll try to explain the best I can.

1)I had the same problem initially. I mounted the horn to the fork in a very standard place. It's nothing special at all and there are probably a few options up under there.

2)I ditched the included piece of hose and purchased a much longer piece. I routed this back through the faring, under the tank, over the battery and... (here's the slick part) I was able to mount the pump to the under side of of the metal bracket where the seat lock is.  To do this required the following steps:

• Remove the plastic cover from the pump to make it as small as possible (if I remember correctly)
  • Trim the plastic below and behind that metal bracket so the pump can be slid in between the plastic and the metal bracket
  • drill an appropriate size hole so you can bolt the bump to the bracket.

I hope that makes sense.