sideways play on chain allows contact with tyre

bugie

After realising my chain slack had gone out of spec to 50mm, I realised the sideways play on the chain (with the bike on centre stand) will allow the chain to come in contact with the rear side of the heel guard, and the tyre. After adjusting the chain slack down to the minimum recommendation of 35, i noticed that the chain can no long hit the rear of the heel guard but can STILL rub against the tyre.

Does anyone have this too?

3 hours ago, bugie said:

After realising my chain slack had gone out of spec to 50mm, I realised the sideways play on the chain (with the bike on centre stand) will allow the chain to come in contact with the rear side of the heel guard, and the tyre. After adjusting the chain slack down to the minimum recommendation of 35, i noticed that the chain can no long hit the rear of the heel guard but can STILL rub against the tyre.

Does anyone have this too?

I cleaned and checked the adjustment on my chain yesterday.  Pushing the chain sideways to see if it would hit the tyre just didn't enter my head to check for.....  I know there's no damage to the tyre, I regularly check that for cuts, nails and such things.

Are you saying yours has been rubbing?

Likewise I regularly check the tyre for damage and don't have any damage so can't say if it has been rubbing or not but I found it very unnerving that at factory spec slackness the chain can easily come in contact with the tyre. At least whilst on the centre stand. there is very little gap between the tyre and chain

In normal running the chain will never come into contact with the tyre., its purely laws of physics coming  in to play.  The only way you'll get the chain to move sideways while running is if  the coriolis effect  takes place ... and that  will never occur as you need a process flow for that !

if your chain is in good condition and to the correct tension then you have nothing to worry about. However if your chain has worn sideplates or missing x rings then side play will be a bit more excessive.

After reading this went out and checked my chain and found that it needs to be adjusted. Then found that the biggest socket I have is 24 mm. What size is the axel nut. Does not say in the manual. Thanks in advance.

35 minutes ago, Ddog gt said:

After reading this went out and checked my chain and found that it needs to be adjusted. Then found that the biggest socket I have is 24 mm. What size is the axel nut. Does not say in the manual. Thanks in advance.

It actually does say the size in the manual although you have to browse to the chain slack section. it's a 27mm and torque is 150nm :)

Out of curiosity does yours also manage to rub the tyre?

No tyre rubbing, but the bike and chain only has 1,500 miles on them. Just went back to my owner's manual the torques are there, but no socket size. Many thanks, off to buy a socket  tomorrow.

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Ddog gt said:

Many thanks, off to buy a socket  tomorrow.

If you dont have one already, get a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to fit the 27mm socket, unless you have a 1/2" drive ratchet.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, Ddog gt said:

No tyre rubbing, but the bike and chain only has 1,500 miles on them. Just went back to my owner's manual the torques are there, but no socket size. Many thanks, off to buy a socket  tomorrow.

As in if you push the chain sideways when the bike is on the centrestand it can't touch the tyre?

Yes I can push the chain into the tyre, both upper and lower. I do not see any  evidence of it coming into contact with the tyre. I do not see this as an issue, but will keep a eye on the tyre.

Archived