MT09 (FJ) Tracer Steering Wobbling

Also the corvette was no match for the fj. Lol.
Then he didn't know how to drive it. The F-Jay is faster 0 to 60, but the vette will demolish most bikes in the twisties and above 100 up to 175mph. At least mine does. ;)

I dont think he was really getting on it but when he saw the wobble he backed way off. I tryed to slow way down so he could catch up be he didnt want anything to do with me after that.
I do beg to differ on the 100 to 175.. a liter sportbike will take him everytime. Maybe because most of the guys the drive corvettes are old and slow. Lol just kiddin.

• Premium Member
Very bad steering wobble yesterday. At the being of the day out on a country tour I decided to take her up a few notches. At about 110mph in 6th gear she started to shake but not bad all the way up to 114mph. I backed off.
Heading home I notice a blue corvette following me and passing cars when I pass. So being a not so start guy I dropped her down to 3rd and let her rip past three cars. Hit 4th then 5th at that moment she got the most violent wobble I looked down and she was only at 100mph. I about shet myself and backed off big time. The only difference from that time was going up a hill and really getting on it.
My thought on this was that the front end starting getting light and the wheel was coming off the ground because of the wind screen and top box. What are you guys thoughts?
I will try to post the video latter. It only shows the rear view. Also the corvette was no match for the fj. Lol.
It seems that "top box" and "high speed wobble" are mentioned quite often on this forum. Side bags too? Yamaha Corp. specifically cautions against that combination. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Very bad steering wobble yesterday. At the being of the day out on a country tour I decided to take her up a few notches. At about 110mph in 6th gear she started to shake but not bad all the way up to 114mph. I backed off.
Heading home I notice a blue corvette following me and passing cars when I pass. So being a not so start guy I dropped her down to 3rd and let her rip past three cars. Hit 4th then 5th at that moment she got the most violent wobble I looked down and she was only at 100mph. I about shet myself and backed off big time. The only difference from that time was going up a hill and really getting on it.
My thought on this was that the front end starting getting light and the wheel was coming off the ground because of the wind screen and top box. What are you guys thoughts?
I will try to post the video latter. It only shows the rear view. Also the corvette was no match for the fj. Lol.
It seems that "top box" and "high speed wobble" are mentioned quite often on this forum. Side bags too? Yamaha Corp. specifically cautions against that combination. 

No side case were mounted.

• Premium Member
At those sort of speed I tend to duck down behind my Powerbronze screen. This puts more weight over the front and counteracts the topbox effect. I have not had the bike get out of shape on straight line acceleration except when I hit the rev limiter in 4th at about 124mph, changed up to 5th and there was a bit of a head shake as the power came back on. No great drama, just giggled and carried on, at a slightly more sedate pace as traffic got in the way.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
124mph w/ luggage!? Niiice! Do we know what the top end is w/o gear on a Flashed bike?

I've seen 134mph on my speedo without the topbox on. It was still pulling but I ran out of road.

There's a youtube video showing a rider in Greece maybe, doing the kph equivalent of high 130s.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have the 138mph footage, but have blurred the speedo for the edited video, just in case... :D
It's a good job it's not like a mate's Tiger which remembers the top speed. I didn't know about this feature until after the bike was returned to him after one of those CIHAGM key swapping sessions at a weekend gathering. He prodded the buttons then tried to work out who had been riding at 136mph. Lots of innocent looks from the assembled riders. 

• Premium Member
Top Box Wobble Solution. Or maybe it would exacerbate the situation. Either way, it would end the suspense!  You can thank me later. :D

l_ST1300%20Top%20Box%20Spoiler.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Guest dmizer
The video quality is excellent. You just need to adjust it in youtube when you view the video. Click on the gear wheel in the lower right corner and select a higher resolution.

Different video perspective! Has anyone experienced the wobbles without tank bags? From previous posts, I imagined more of a tank-slapper scenario. Just from my impression of the video, it almost looked like the tail-wagging-the-dog. Dirty air from the fairing hitting the top bag at high speed and light load on the front???
  Man, if I could only park a blue Vette next to my FJ in the garage...

Top Box Wobble Solution. Or maybe it would exacerbate the situation. Either way, it would end the suspense!  You can thank me later. :D 

l_ST1300%20Top%20Box%20Spoiler.jpg
I have a sneaky suspicion this would exacerbate the issue.  I think the front wheel is lifting.  Stay with me here for a second.  This could probably be fixed with a beak designed for down-force, because the FJ doesn't suffer enough from an identity crisis of being an adventure bike, so a beak would really put it over the edge.   (rofl)