Can't get my mirrors tight

mellow

My mirrors keep loosening up... granted we're talking when 75mph plus with a headwind... but it's annoying.

The nut is tight on the stem but the arm itself moves.  There is a nut inside the arm but I don't have a socket that will fit that space, any ideas or just live with it?

IMG_20190422_130101-XL.jpg

3 minutes ago, sirepair said:

Cheap socket from Harbor Freight ground down to size to remove/tighten nut. Take apart and place a "star" type lockwasher on the bottom of the stem, and a dab of locktight on the bolt.

Thanks Pat... crazy Yamaha didn't make that more accessible.  Remember the size?  10mm?

Edited by mellow

3 hours ago, sirepair said:

10 mm sounds right.  Now, don't drop that socket into the black hole!

Black hole is right!   Working on my bike around that area in recent weeks on various minor jobs I have dropped a plastic knurled securing knob for my GPS holder: several nuts and bolts: and at least one Allen key!   Never does anything dropped appear again - it deffo is form of black hole, from which not even light can escape!   Now when working in that area I arrange a small towel on and around the opening to catch dropped stuff before it too gets gobbled up!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I never used that hole on the top to tighten the mirrors..typically I back out the mirror a bit, put a cloth and wrench on the bottom nut, tighten that up then turn the mirror clockwise to tighten the whole assembly. I never took off the black piece to tighten the nut for the mirrors, coincidentally I somehow lost one of the damn buttons when the bike was being stored at my brothers house over the winter and I think he may have used the wrench to un-tighten them and turn them in. :)

Just bought 2 of them from the parts warehouse at like 3 bucks each. 

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, mellow said:

My mirrors keep loosening up... granted we're talking when 75mph plus with a headwind... but it's annoying.

The nut is tight on the stem but the arm itself moves.  There is a nut inside the arm but I don't have a socket that will fit that space, any ideas or just live with it?

IMG_20190422_130101-XL.jpg

I learned something new today.  I never knew there was a plastic cap or a nut on the inside, I have only ever adjusted/tightened the mirrors with 2 crescent wrenches on the outside nuts.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

If your have one of those Cruz Tools there a 10mm 1/4 in drive socket in there that should work.  And before you flame me, I am my father's son.  He had a 1/4 speed handle twisted one revolution.  And no, I didn't return it to Sears for replacement.

• Supporting Member

I used my bench grinder to lightly grind down a 1/4"  drive 10mm socket a little at a time until it fit inside the mirror arm's recessed pocket, then snugged up that recessed nut.  Worked like a charm and ended the mirror arm drifting when I roll over the occasional washboard moguls on my daily commute.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I went for a ride yesterday and the right mirror kept blowing back, even at speeds of 60-65 mph. Seemed like going over bumpy sections of pavement would induce the movement at those lower speeds. None of my 10mm sockets fit the recess, so I stopped at the local auto parts store and picked up a cheapie to grind down to fit. Seems to have snugged it up nicely.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my left mirror but at the knuckle, not the stem.  At anything over 40 mph the left mirror gets blown around.  Any decent size bumps in the road do the same thing.  Almost no tension at this joint.  Since there is no way I know of to tighten this I am going back to the dealer to have a replacement ordered under warranty.  In the meantime I put some Gorilla tape around that knuckle hoping it will be a decent temporary fix.  If that does not work I may add some super glue.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I have a similar problem with my left mirror but at the knuckle, not the stem.

Mine has started doing the same thing.  I’m going to look at it in detail today to see if there is a way to adjust the tension, but a quick glance previously didn’t show any obvious adjustment.    I’ll let you know if I find anything helpful...  

• Thumbsup 2