Can't get my mirrors tight

mellow

• Supporting Member
On 4/22/2019 at 10:09 PM, undecider said:

God Bless Texas' crazy speed limits!

I know, right?   I still smile every time I see one of these signs...

39802817-96DE-492A-B3CE-42B72A1B3FDB.thumb.jpeg.cd9491c88b3a6070893f674e300f0a92.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Mine has started doing the same thing.  I’m going to look at it in detail today to see if there is a way to adjust the tension, but a quick glance previously didn’t show any obvious adjustment.    I’ll let you know if I find anything helpful...  

If you find anything, let me know.  My left mirror does the same thing, I am always having to re-adjust it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

If you find anything, let me know.  My left mirror does the same thing, I am always having to re-adjust it.

Nada.  I did check part numbers, and noticed that our FJs have a different mirror than the new Tracer GTs...  

My ‘fix’ may come in the form of the Rizoma catalog, because I don’t see any way to tighten the upper joint of the factory FJ mirror.   Mine is also the left, and requires periodic resets after high speeds, excessive bumps, or spirited acceleration.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad that you posted about this. After I added an extension to my mirrors, my left one started giving me this issue. I hadn't noticed the 10mm bolt before. I will try attacking from that angle. It is pretty aggravating because bumpy roads exacerbate the situation and that is all that Louisiana has to offer. 

Edited by Armyfazer
  • Like 1

I bought a WalMart brand 10mm deep socket set (3 sockets in set) for $4.50. The narrowest of the three fit with no grinding. It's raining now, but I'm looking forward to seeing if this fixes the problem.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

I took my mirrors completely apart.  I even took off the nut under the cap at the top which has the rivet protecting it from being removed.  I don't recommend doing this, but I did get them back together eventually and used blue loctite on the threads when I cranked them back together as hard as I could.  If they move from this point forward, and they haven't yet, I'm buying different mirrors without that top nut with the spring inside.  It's a poor design for sure.

I did file down a 10 mm socket for a 1/4 in ratchet until the socket fit in the hole to reach the nut.  PITA.  Hopefully I did something smart.  If the mirror moves again, it wasn't' all that smart now was it?  LOL

On 5/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, texscottyd said:

I know, right?   I still smile every time I see one of these signs...

39802817-96DE-492A-B3CE-42B72A1B3FDB.thumb.jpeg.cd9491c88b3a6070893f674e300f0a92.jpeg

What is funny, people slow down to go through that section.

LOL!!  I have my mirrors stems tight and they won't move, except......now the mirrors them selves are moving.  Riding a calm 70 mph with a little head wind they are soon pointed at my chest.  It has been  that kind of week.  LOL!   Will Rizoma mirrors stay adjusted?

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

LOL!!  I have my mirrors stems tight and they won't move, except......now the mirrors them selves are moving.  Riding a calm 70 mph with a little head wind they are soon pointed at my chest.  It has been  that kind of week.  LOL!   Will Rizoma mirrors stay adjusted?

Not sure if there's a way to tighten that part of the mirror itself... maybe there's some hidden screw somewhere.

12 hours ago, mellow said:

Not sure if there's a way to tighten that part of the mirror itself... maybe there's some hidden screw somewhere.

I learned a trick for the actual mirror socket moving from the wind.  You swivel the mirror to the extremes in all directions.  Smear a little blue Loctite on the socket during each swivel.  Adjust the mirror and allow the Loctite to set up.  Problem solved.

Edited by fjrpittsburgh
  • Thumbsup 3

13 hours ago, Coop said:

Another fix is to tighten the mirrors from the stems after you have adjusted the mirrors swivel to the most rearward position.  At that point, the mirrors can't blow back any further.  You have to angle the stems more forward to have the mirrors aimed properly to the rear.  Angling the stems more to the front does make the mirrors more to the center of the bike and limits the view to the rear some.  I have mirror extenders I bought on amazon that help out quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Mirror-Extender-Adapter-Models/dp/B01KLOY6GI

• Thumbsup 1