Can't get my mirrors tight

mellow

2 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

Another fix is to tighten the mirrors from the stems after you have adjusted the mirrors swivel to the most rearward position.  At that point, the mirrors can't blow back any further.  You have to angle the stems more forward to have the mirrors aimed properly to the rear.  Angling the stems more to the front does make the mirrors more to the center of the bike and limits the view to the rear some.  I have mirror extenders I bought on amazon that help out quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Mirror-Extender-Adapter-Models/dp/B01KLOY6GI

Thanks, I ordered a set.

• Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Thanks, I ordered a set.

Hey @Coop  They are nicely made.  Since they are painted aluminum, I would recommend scuffing up the paint on the bottom of the extender that makes contact with the handlebar connection.  The painted surface is very smooth and could spin over time.  I scuffed mine up, smeared some Locktite on the scuffed up surface and on the bolt the attaches them to the handlebar.  Tighten it well and let it set up.  Then bolt the mirror to the extender a little while later.  Mine have been solid as a rock using that method.

Also you can't angle the left extender straight out to the left due to the traction control switch.  However I angled the left extension, I repeated on the right side to balance out the look of it.  Nice views to the rear.

14 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

Hey @Coop  They are nicely made.  Since they are painted aluminum, I would recommend scuffing up the paint on the bottom of the extender that makes contact with the handlebar connection.  The painted surface is very smooth and could spin over time.  I scuffed mine up, smeared some Locktite on the scuffed up surface and on the bolt the attaches them to the handlebar.  Tighten it well and let it set up.  Then bolt the mirror to the extender a little while later.  Mine have been solid as a rock using that method.

Also you can't angle the left extender straight out to the left due to the traction control switch.  However I angled the left extension, I repeated on the right side to balance out the look of it.  Nice views to the rear.

Maybe a star washer at all the connections.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Hey... quick question:   Is the thread for the mirror perch M10 or M8?  I know the right mirror is a reverse thread to keep tight, but not sure of the pitch.  

I'm looking at replacing the stock mirrors with something cool from the aftermarket, and most (but not all) Rizoma, Puig, etc seem to be M10 mounting.   Just wanted to verify the FJ perches as M10 before ordering anything.

-Scott 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, fjrpittsburgh said:

I haven't got the extensions yet, but I followed your advice and set the mirrors all the way back and adjusted the stems.  I also ground my socket down some more and got  much better grip on the nut.  After the 5 o'clock traffic lightens up I'll do a road test.  They passed the road test, but there are a set of Rizomas on the ups truck with my name on them.  Decisions, decisions!

Edited by Coop
duh
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, texscottyd said:

Hey... quick question:   Is the thread for the mirror perch M10 or M8?  I know the right mirror is a reverse thread to keep tight, but not sure of the pitch.  

I'm looking at replacing the stock mirrors with something cool from the aftermarket, and most (but not all) Rizoma, Puig, etc seem to be M10 mounting.   Just wanted to verify the FJ perches as M10 before ordering anything.

-Scott 

10mm

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had this problem on my right side mirror.  My solution was to drill a 5/64" hole through the outer mirror sleeve and inner stalk, then drive in a 1/2" lomg 5/64 roll pin, effectively welding the two together (make sure you have the mirror properly adjusted before you do this).  Solid as a rock now, and the roll pin can be easily driven out if the need arises.  Pic attached.

20190902_090621.jpg

Edited by bikerdup
additionl info
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, bikerdup said:

I had this problem on my right side mirror.  My solution was to drill a 5/64" hole through the outer mirror sleeve and inner stalk, effective welding the two together (make sure you have the mirror properly adjusted before you do this).  Solid as a rock now, and the roll pin can be easily driven out if the need arises.

Well that’s brilliantly simple... thanks @bikerdup!  

6 hours ago, bikerdup said:

I had this problem on my right side mirror.  My solution was to drill a 5/64" hole through the outer mirror sleeve and inner stalk, effective welding the two together (make sure you have the mirror properly adjusted before you do this).  Solid as a rock now, and the roll pin can be easily driven out if the need arises.

Can you take a picture of exactly where you drilled the hole?  I need the same fix on my right mirror.  Really a simple idea that my pea brain didn't think of.  Thank you!  I hope my drill bit snaps off after drilling hole so I can use it as a pin.

• Thumbsup 1

I seem to have solved the issue. Tighten the mirror stem as much as possible, turn the steering  full lock to the left (to facilitate the nextstep), and then rotate the mirror 360 a few times until it tightens (counter clockwise)

Edited by bugie

On 9/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, bugie said:

I seem to have solved the issue. Tighten the mirror stem as much as possible, turn the steering  full lock to the left (to facilitate the nextstep), and then rotate the mirror 360 a few times until it tightens (counter clockwise)

My mirror on the right side won't stay put once on the interstate.  You stated to rotate the right mirror counter clockwise to tighten.  When the  wind hits it at higher speeds, it rotates the right stem clockwise and loosens it.  After tightening, it stays in place for a while, but over time, it loosens up again.

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

My mirror on the right side won't stay put once on the interstate.  You stated to rotate the right mirror counter clockwise to tighten.  When the  wind hits it at higher speeds, it rotates the right stem clockwise and loosens it.  After tightening, it stays in place for a while, but over time, it loosens up again.

My trouble was with the left mirror so my instruction was for the left mirror. Previously any speed over 80kph would cause it to close in on me

Thanks to all for their brainstorming and good ideas on the forum.  My right mirror was bending back at high speeds, especially over bumps. The good reading hear convince me to buy a benchgrinder, and after some careful work I had a 10M socket that fit into that cavity to tighten the stem harder.  I did add some blue loctite, hoping to make the fix permanent.

We'll see