Can't get my mirrors tight

mellow

So dont be so fast to do so Stinky.  After a few weeks of "all is well" my right side mirror moved back again.  I was unwilling to torque it down any further for fear of snapping/stripping that small fastener and post.  What a terrible design.

So, I ordered these:

rizoma_side_mount_mirror_adapter.jpg

Required for perch mounting, these adapters are machined from...

rizoma_radial_rs_mirror.jpg

The Radial RS boasts clean lines, Rizoma's top notch machining &...

I have the right installed (after taking off the windscreen during install), and it seems to line up well and look good.  The left side should go on tomorrow.  Lots of adjust-ability, VERY high quality piece of kit, and good looking.  My fear is that it may be a bit short - ie, does not extend out past the bar and my elbows as far as I would like. If I was doing it over, I would likely seek a longer/wider one.  We'll see after a test ride.

The price is just outrageous. That is what we pay for quality, and for impatience.  Shame on Yamaha for a poor mirror design on an otherwise damn good bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, open1mind said:

So dont be so fast to do so Stinky.  After a few weeks of "all is well" my right side mirror moved back again.  I was unwilling to torque it down any further for fear of snapping/stripping that small fastener and post.  What a terrible design.

So, I ordered these:

rizoma_side_mount_mirror_adapter.jpg

Required for perch mounting, these adapters are machined from...

rizoma_radial_rs_mirror.jpg

The Radial RS boasts clean lines, Rizoma's top notch machining &...

I have the right installed (after taking off the windscreen during install), and it seems to line up well and look good.  The left side should go on tomorrow.  Lots of adjust-ability, VERY high quality piece of kit, and good looking.  My fear is that it may be a bit short - ie, does not extend out past the bar and my elbows as far as I would like. If I was doing it over, I would likely seek a longer/wider one.  We'll see after a test ride.

The price is just outrageous. That is what we pay for quality, and for impatience.  Shame on Yamaha for a poor mirror design on an otherwise damn good bike.

@open1mind - Rizoma products are expensive for sure but there is no denying their quality.  My brother has used those same mirrors on his bike for many years without issue, very high quality.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@open1mind - I’ve been toying with the idea of Rizoma mirrors for quite awhile...  As with all things Rizoma, they’re expensive but extremely well made.  I assume those side mount perch adapters allow enough room to clear the switch gear and controls on the FJ/Tracer?   My only concern was the clearance on the left side control switches...  

Thanks for the info!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, open1mind said:

Has anyone tried these things, looks pretty cool:

https://motomanufacturing.com/mirrorlok/

I've not tried one of those.  I wouldn't lock my helmet on my mirror and a mirror extender is much less money.  This product also would not help with the mirror movement discussed in this thread.  If this product looks like something you would use.  Give it a try and report back to us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 7:24 PM, fjrpittsburgh said:

I've not tried one of those.  I wouldn't lock my helmet on my mirror and a mirror extender is much less money.  This product also would not help with the mirror movement discussed in this thread.  If this product looks like something you would use.  Give it a try and report back to us.

Funny that you suggest that... 

The Rizoma gear described above is top notch, but the stalks arent quite long enough for me. Im probably too wide, but I saw too much elbow and not enough roadway behind me.

Last night I added these to Rizoma set up

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLOY6GI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the will take some more adjusting and resetting the Rizomas, but I think that i now have the best setup (but pricey)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@open1mind  Those are the exact extenders I have on the stock mirrors.  They provide a much better view to the rear around your body.  I also tried to drill the mirror stems to stop the mirrors from turning at higher speeds.  I don't have a good enough bit or a drill press to complete that task.  I gave up on it and went back to using the filed down 10mm socket to tighten the top nut under the cap on the mirror stem.  I was able to tighten that nut some even after using loctite on those threads weeks earlier.  I just came back from a trip to the North Carolina Smoky Mountains and the mirrors stayed in place.  I would submit that tightening that nut under the cap on the mirror stem is still the best method for securing the mirrors in place,

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, this thread exemplifies why I love this forum. I don't think I'd ever have thought to grind down a cheap socket for this! In my case, I mounted it on a drill and used a file (with an extra pair of hands) to get the job done.

The stem is currently secure, but ...

On 5/25/2019 at 4:44 AM, johnmark101 said:

I have a similar problem with my left mirror but at the knuckle, not the stem.  ... there is no way I know of to tighten this I am going back to the dealer to have a replacement ordered under warranty. 

I don't see a way to tighten this where the mirror meets the stem in the ball/socket joint. The loctite idea (@fjrpittsburgh) might work, but first - did the warranty play work out?

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

First of all, this thread exemplifies why I love this forum. I don't think I'd ever have thought to grind down a cheap socket for this! In my case, I mounted it on a drill and used a file (with an extra pair of hands) to get the job done.

The stem is currently secure, but ...

I don't see a way to tighten this where the mirror meets the stem in the ball/socket joint. The loctite idea (@fjrpittsburgh) might work, but first - did the warranty play work out?

Yes.....all is as it should be.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, mellow said:

My mirrors keep loosening up... granted we're talking when 75mph plus with a headwind... but it's annoying.

The nut is tight on the stem but the arm itself moves.  There is a nut inside the arm but I don't have a socket that will fit that space, any ideas or just live with it?

IMG_20190422_130101-XL.jpg

Ok, some how the cap of my mirror came off. Anyone know how I can replace it?

5 hours ago, MartyP said:

Part  number 15

A42C9393-B504-4417-85CC-594CDBAC1C3A.png

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

11 hours ago, MartyP said:

yeah, just noticed the other day one of mine popped off... not sure I'll worry about it enough to order replacements... maybe after a year when I know the mirrors are solid and don't need any more adjustments.

• 8 months later...

I too had problems with my right mirror being blown back due to air pressure at speed. This is because of the design: each mirror is rigidly attached to its mount on the handlebars by a bolt that is securely held in place by thread-locking compound and a retaining nut (17 spanner), and the mirror stalk is meant to move backwards and forwards freely without touching this bolt or its retaining nut. Instead, it is supposed to be held in place by friction in the sleeve of the mirror stem. Unfortunately, it sometimes appears to be set too loose, or perhaps works loose due to vibration, to frequent adjustment, or to people constantly knocking it out of position when the bike is parked.

It seems that the friction is controlled by a tensioning device inside the mirror stem. The fixing bolt, which is under a plastic cap on the mirror stem, can be used to tighten this tension within the stem (10 socket), but the sleeve of the stem fits too closely to allow a normal socket to be fitted over the bolt top. I see that various solutions have been suggested, including locking the stem in position with a pin fitted through a hole drilled through it, and someone has even ground down a socket to fit. But all this is not necessary.

Remove the mirror assembly entirely: there should be enough friction in the stem to use the mirror stalk as leverage to remove the bolt from its housing on the handlebars, as it is actually quite loose in its thread once the locking nut has been untightened. Turn it upside down, and you should find that a slot has been cut in the end of the bolt. A large screwdriver can then be used to increase the tension by turning the bolt from the other end. Be careful not to overdo it, though, as the alloy used for the bolt is quite soft!

I put the stem in a vice and tightened the tension as much as possible, then refitted the bolt on the handlebars in the position I wanted using thread-locking compound and the retaining nut, leaving the stem sleeve alone, hopefully to “bed down” in one position. So far, so good: I have ridden at, er, high speed for a sustained period without the mirrors moving.

If this doesn’t work, the only other thing I can think of is squirting something into the sleeve of the stem to increase the friction: you can get access to the inside of the sleeve by removing the mirror stalks. Superglue should do it, but that is a bit drastic and irreversible! 

• Thumbsup 2